Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:50 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Ok, Ravenfluff has written books on Pow-Wow? Really? How eye burning are they?
Dude, wait, what?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:11 pm
Byaggha
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Dude, wait, what?
Loona linked to her facebook page elsewhere, and her description includes the statement that she has written 21 books on subjects x, y and z, and included in those subjects was "Pow-Wow".  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:11 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Bastemhet
I need help.

Quote:
There is a website called www.realhapas.com, on which Lana Robbins states
When Hawaiians began to mix with Caucasians they began to have offspring who were Hawaiian and Caucasian. That is when Hawaiians of Hawaiian and Caucasian ancestry created a Hawaiian word to describe themselves and people like them. Eventually these Hawaiians of Hawaiian and Caucasian ancestry began to use the word "hapa" for a part, portion, or fragment of Hawaiian people, places, and things. Until [Japanese Americans] began to rape their language. Today's rape of the Hawaiian language also implies that the Hawaiian language means nothing and thus the Hawaiian people are nothing.

Robbins continues,
The raping of Hawaii continues with a new group of Colonizers, the California Wanna Be Hapas. As colonizers, California Wanna Be Hapas raped from Hawaiian Hapas their very identity, culture, and history and called it their own. These colonizers justified their illegal actions by creating organizations such as Hapa Issues Forum and other "Hapa" online forums. They gained allies from elite mixed Eurasians who like California Wanna Be Hapas, stole their term from the wartime and colonial Eurasians while stomping on the rights of Amerasians and Hawaiian Hapas.

I'm upset that this person uses "rape" as exchangeable for "misappropriation." I am having trouble articulating why. I don't have any formal experience with describing or writing about rape culture. I would appreciate if other people could help me out as to why this is offensive and how I can explain it to other people.
I generally have a pretty big problem with this part of trying to combat rape culture, because last I checked rape still means "to seize forcefully" and when I get told I can't use proper English to describe something, especially when I find it to be the right word, because what's going on to certain cultures is evocative of many connotations of the word rape (forceful, invasive, debasing, dehumanising, demeaning, and just wrong), I'm less inclined to agree with them. If a First Nations person told me that their culture was being raped, I'd have to agree with them, because it's been forcefully seized from them.

Is it a strong word? Yes, and increasingly so since we tie it more closely to something that it came to mean (sexual violation) rather than what it originally meant (theft of property), but that's why I use it. Misappropriation is too nice a word for some of the bullshit that's going on.
I'm with Celeblin on this one.

Myself, having been the target of both sexual rape and cultural rape- the feelings triggered manifest in nearly identical ways for me.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:12 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Byaggha
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Dude, wait, what?
Loona linked to her facebook page elsewhere, and her description includes the statement that she has written 21 books on subjects x, y and z, and included in those subjects was "Pow-Wow".

Didn't you know? She's a great Pow-Wow mastah. Mentioned it in every book of hers I've read. Mixes it into a lot of unrelated stuff as well.  

erinnightwalker

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:13 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Yeah, I just looked it up - she's got a book about the Penn Dutch folk magic for sure. Should we have the Penn Dutch people hit her for us?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:15 pm
Byaggha
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Yeah, I just looked it up - she's got a book about the Penn Dutch folk magic for sure. Should we have the Penn Dutch people hit her for us?
Give BlurRoseTorn a link on that.

twisted  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:28 pm
TeaDidikai
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Bastemhet
I need help.

Quote:
There is a website called www.realhapas.com, on which Lana Robbins states
When Hawaiians began to mix with Caucasians they began to have offspring who were Hawaiian and Caucasian. That is when Hawaiians of Hawaiian and Caucasian ancestry created a Hawaiian word to describe themselves and people like them. Eventually these Hawaiians of Hawaiian and Caucasian ancestry began to use the word "hapa" for a part, portion, or fragment of Hawaiian people, places, and things. Until [Japanese Americans] began to rape their language. Today's rape of the Hawaiian language also implies that the Hawaiian language means nothing and thus the Hawaiian people are nothing.

Robbins continues,
The raping of Hawaii continues with a new group of Colonizers, the California Wanna Be Hapas. As colonizers, California Wanna Be Hapas raped from Hawaiian Hapas their very identity, culture, and history and called it their own. These colonizers justified their illegal actions by creating organizations such as Hapa Issues Forum and other "Hapa" online forums. They gained allies from elite mixed Eurasians who like California Wanna Be Hapas, stole their term from the wartime and colonial Eurasians while stomping on the rights of Amerasians and Hawaiian Hapas.

I'm upset that this person uses "rape" as exchangeable for "misappropriation." I am having trouble articulating why. I don't have any formal experience with describing or writing about rape culture. I would appreciate if other people could help me out as to why this is offensive and how I can explain it to other people.
I generally have a pretty big problem with this part of trying to combat rape culture, because last I checked rape still means "to seize forcefully" and when I get told I can't use proper English to describe something, especially when I find it to be the right word, because what's going on to certain cultures is evocative of many connotations of the word rape (forceful, invasive, debasing, dehumanising, demeaning, and just wrong), I'm less inclined to agree with them. If a First Nations person told me that their culture was being raped, I'd have to agree with them, because it's been forcefully seized from them.

Is it a strong word? Yes, and increasingly so since we tie it more closely to something that it came to mean (sexual violation) rather than what it originally meant (theft of property), but that's why I use it. Misappropriation is too nice a word for some of the bullshit that's going on.
I'm with Celeblin on this one.

Myself, having been the target of both sexual rape and cultural rape- the feelings triggered manifest in nearly identical ways for me.

Really? Because I don't see how the same feelings toward raping a person and raping a language are comparable. But since you have been the target for both your input is particularly appreciated.

Perhaps it depends on the context? When I think of the overuse of rape as a metaphor for other things, I think about this.

Celeblin, do you think rape is a form of theft of property?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:33 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

In a limited fashion, yes.
Will there be consequences for his actions under those policies?

Probably not. The main issue is that the system won't change our names till we get a legal name change, due to the fact that the system directly pipes our account names from the registration files. So the only way to change the name is to change the system. Something the school adamantly opposes.

As for his conduct, the school wouldn't fault him for using its system and would likely downplay his actions as being unintentionally harmful since they came from ignorance (i.e. he thought using the new name always is helpful, and didn't realize that in this case it would out me). Of course, i did come to him and say something, so it's possible that I can bypass that defense and actually get some sort of consequences for him.

But at worst he'd likely just get a slap on the wrist, as a tenured professor.  

Recursive Paradox

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:35 pm
Also, ******** migraines. I hate them. Ow.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:36 pm
So I know I am new here and you guys probably don't care at all, but I need to rant.

WHAT THE ********?
We met like, 3 days ago, and you sent me a message saying you had a sexual dream about me. You tell me to take your serious. Excuse me, but thats a bit creepy.
Then you ask if I would have sex with you, I say no.
Sorry, I believe that sex is very special, and having sex with someone I barely even know is a bad idea.
So then, after going through all this: I like you, and lets hang out, and practically date, you decide in one second to go: K BAI.
Wow.
The tarot cards were right. You were the impostor.  

Kinky Zombie

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:42 pm
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

In a limited fashion, yes.
Will there be consequences for his actions under those policies?

Probably not. The main issue is that the system won't change our names till we get a legal name change, due to the fact that the system directly pipes our account names from the registration files. So the only way to change the name is to change the system. Something the school adamantly opposes.

As for his conduct, the school wouldn't fault him for using its system and would likely downplay his actions as being unintentionally harmful since they came from ignorance (i.e. he thought using the new name always is helpful, and didn't realize that in this case it would out me). Of course, i did come to him and say something, so it's possible that I can bypass that defense and actually get some sort of consequences for him.

Any punishment is better than none. Lets him know that he should expect consequences for his actions. Regardless of whether or not his intentions were good, his actions were wrong.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:53 pm
Bastemhet
Really? Because I don't see how the same feelings toward raping a person and raping a language are comparable. But since you have been the target for both your input is particularly appreciated.

It's perhaps the hardest thing for me to articulate. Have patience with me.

The physical symptoms I experience (likely a byproduct of undiagnosed PTSD) are identical for the two situations.

The trigger point isn't the same. My tolerance of Culture Rape is higher because it isn't always as directly associated with the violence I have experienced. I have been physically attacked because of my ethnicity. The attitudes that allow that kind of behavior to continue aren't any different than the attitudes that go along with the "Sure- it's bad she was raped, but did you see what she was wearing?"

I've been told that if I didn't want to deal with members of AN, I shouldn't have let people know my ethnicity.

This is really just the beginning of my thoughts on the matter, and it's poorly expressed at best.

As for the use of rape in regards to theft, I have been known to use rape for the same reason mentioned above. The sense of violation is similar if not identical in some cases.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:56 pm
Kinky Zombie
So I know I am new here and you guys probably don't care at all, but I need to rant.

WHAT THE ********?
We met like, 3 days ago, and you sent me a message saying you had a sexual dream about me. You tell me to take your serious. Excuse me, but thats a bit creepy.
Sorry, I believe that sex is very special, and having sex with someone I barely even know is [deleted].
So then, after going through all this: I like you, and lets hang out, and practically date, you decide in one second to go: K BAI.
Wow.

Could you please not use the word retarded to associate with someone you dislike? It's degrading.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:57 pm
Recursive Paradox
Of course, i did come to him and say something, so it's possible that I can bypass that defense and actually get some sort of consequences for him.

Good luck.  

TeaDidikai

Kinky Zombie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:01 pm
TeaDidikai
Kinky Zombie

WHAT THE ********?
Sorry, I believe that sex is very special, and having sex with someone I barely even know is retarded.
Wow.

Could you please not use the word retarded to associate with someone you dislike? It's degrading.

Oh my! I thought I edited out. The non-edited version was much worse.
I'm really sorry about that.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games