Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 222 223 224 225 226 227 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:43 pm
ShadowCatSoul
Recursive Paradox
ShadowCatSoul

Omg, your teacher outed you as a trans?

Yes and I would prefer if you referred to me as a trans person, not "a trans". It's like calling a black person "a black" or a gay person "a gay". It's a tad bit offensive.

Sorry if I offended you. I have gay friends, they make more gay jokes than most straight people I know, so I know they don't get offended by being called gays.

*shrug* Glad your friends are fine with it. I know plenty of gay folk who aren't. Better safe than sorry, right?

Quote:
In any case, I don't think he had any right to do that. What did you say to him?

What can I say? I already told him this was a risk. He didn't listen. Now I'm outed. I could yell all I want but it won't take back what he did.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:44 pm
Recursive Paradox
ShadowCatSoul
Recursive Paradox
ShadowCatSoul

Omg, your teacher outed you as a trans?

Yes and I would prefer if you referred to me as a trans person, not "a trans". It's like calling a black person "a black" or a gay person "a gay". It's a tad bit offensive.

Sorry if I offended you. I have gay friends, they make more gay jokes than most straight people I know, so I know they don't get offended by being called gays.

*shrug* Glad your friends are fine with it. I know plenty of gay folk who aren't. Better safe than sorry, right?

Quote:
In any case, I don't think he had any right to do that. What did you say to him?

What can I say? I already told him this was a risk. He didn't listen. Now I'm outed. I could yell all I want but it won't take back what he did.

No, but it's common decency and he needs to know that. So...how did people react?  

ShadowCatSoul

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:46 pm
What. The. ******** Paradox, I am so sorry that this has happened. I can not fathom what you are feeling right now, but I can honestly state that I am severely upset about this. I don't even know what to say, other then I pray that he gets what he deserves and that the World teaches him a lesson in privacy, respect, tolerance and everything else in between that I'm too angry to consider.

There is no excusing what he has done. Absolutely none.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:50 pm
Namikikyo
What. The. ******** Paradox, I am so sorry that this has happened. I can not fathom what you are feeling right now, but I can honestly state that I am severely upset about this. I don't even know what to say, other then I pray that he gets what he deserves and that the World teaches him a lesson in privacy, respect, tolerance and everything else in between that I'm too angry to consider.

Seconded  

ShadowCatSoul

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:52 pm
Namikikyo

He loses out in the end. I was working with him on a major project. I planned on continuing my involvement past graduation. Now, I shall abandon him to find others who lack my skill set to replace me. He has lost all respect in my eyes.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:56 pm
ShadowCatSoul

No, but it's common decency and he needs to know that. So...how did people react?

I prolly send him an email regarding it. People haven't reacted yet, beyond the one guy who refuses to do his work on the project or respond to emails.  

Recursive Paradox

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:24 am
Recursive Paradox
Namikikyo

He loses out in the end. I was working with him on a major project. I planned on continuing my involvement past graduation. Now, I shall abandon him to find others who lack my skill set to replace me. He has lost all respect in my eyes.

He should lose more in my opinion, but hopefully he will begin regret what he has done even if it's only because your leaving has created an issue in the project.

Maybe the others are more tolerant and understanding, maybe they will see what he has done as sickening as we do and will also lose respect for him. I have hope that this will ring as truth.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:57 am
ShadowCatSoul
Namikikyo

Seconded
Thirded.

I mean honestly. >.<  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:25 am
Hey Poe, are you protected under your school's harassment policy?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:17 am
TeaDidikai
Hey Poe, are you protected under your school's harassment policy?

In a limited fashion, yes.  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:30 am
Recursive Paradox

In a limited fashion, yes.
Will there be consequences for his actions under those policies?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:33 am
Bastemhet
I need help.

Quote:
There is a website called www.realhapas.com, on which Lana Robbins states
When Hawaiians began to mix with Caucasians they began to have offspring who were Hawaiian and Caucasian. That is when Hawaiians of Hawaiian and Caucasian ancestry created a Hawaiian word to describe themselves and people like them. Eventually these Hawaiians of Hawaiian and Caucasian ancestry began to use the word "hapa" for a part, portion, or fragment of Hawaiian people, places, and things. Until [Japanese Americans] began to rape their language. Today's rape of the Hawaiian language also implies that the Hawaiian language means nothing and thus the Hawaiian people are nothing.

Robbins continues,
The raping of Hawaii continues with a new group of Colonizers, the California Wanna Be Hapas. As colonizers, California Wanna Be Hapas raped from Hawaiian Hapas their very identity, culture, and history and called it their own. These colonizers justified their illegal actions by creating organizations such as Hapa Issues Forum and other "Hapa" online forums. They gained allies from elite mixed Eurasians who like California Wanna Be Hapas, stole their term from the wartime and colonial Eurasians while stomping on the rights of Amerasians and Hawaiian Hapas.

I'm upset that this person uses "rape" as exchangeable for "misappropriation." I am having trouble articulating why. I don't have any formal experience with describing or writing about rape culture. I would appreciate if other people could help me out as to why this is offensive and how I can explain it to other people.
I generally have a pretty big problem with this part of trying to combat rape culture, because last I checked rape still means "to seize forcefully" and when I get told I can't use proper English to describe something, especially when I find it to be the right word, because what's going on to certain cultures is evocative of many connotations of the word rape (forceful, invasive, debasing, dehumanising, demeaning, and just wrong), I'm less inclined to agree with them. If a First Nations person told me that their culture was being raped, I'd have to agree with them, because it's been forcefully seized from them.

Is it a strong word? Yes, and increasingly so since we tie it more closely to something that it came to mean (sexual violation) rather than what it originally meant (theft of property), but that's why I use it. Misappropriation is too nice a word for some of the bullshit that's going on.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:38 am
Wow Poe... just seriously, seriously ******** up.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:44 am
Ok, Ravenfluff has written books on Pow-Wow? Really? How eye burning are they?  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:48 am
ShadowCatSoul
Namikikyo

Seconded

Thirded!!  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 222 223 224 225 226 227 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games