Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Worst Things You Can Ever Say As A Pagan Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:49 pm
Esiris
Does anyone think it's weird that Raven Kaldera is claiming to be part Romany?

What the ******** damn it. I really didn't need another reason to dislike the a*****e. stressed  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:34 pm
Just... this... article.

Quote:
The key to this is in the differences between “P” Celtic and “Q” Celtic. Remember the old phrase, “mind your P’s and Q’s?” In the Irish and Scottish countries you have “Q” Celtic — and you have “P” Celtic in Britain and Wales.

Map means “son” in P Celtic and Mac means “son” in Q Celtic.
Take the name “Jennifer”, which is an Anglicization of the old P Celtic name Guinniver, which is Finobar in Irish. These pronunciations are the key to the mystery of the real Robin Hood.

Quote:
In the Middle Ages, he was known as Robin Goodfellow, or Robin Artisson or Robin of the Woods to the common heathen folk or as "the Devil" to the churchmen. Note the gods of the old religion become the devils of the new. That's because devil means Devi-Alis or "Small, Local God". Another key to this is the hatred the medieval church had for Robin Hood. The church, despite their popularity, stamped out Robin Hood plays. Robin Hood was also associated with May Day, which the church tried in vain to squash.

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:24 pm
Yanueh
Just... this... article.

Quote:
The key to this is in the differences between “P” Celtic and “Q” Celtic. Remember the old phrase, “mind your P’s and Q’s?” In the Irish and Scottish countries you have “Q” Celtic — and you have “P” Celtic in Britain and Wales.

Map means “son” in P Celtic and Mac means “son” in Q Celtic.
Take the name “Jennifer”, which is an Anglicization of the old P Celtic name Guinniver, which is Finobar in Irish. These pronunciations are the key to the mystery of the real Robin Hood.

Quote:
In the Middle Ages, he was known as Robin Goodfellow, or Robin Artisson or Robin of the Woods to the common heathen folk or as "the Devil" to the churchmen. Note the gods of the old religion become the devils of the new. That's because devil means Devi-Alis or "Small, Local God". Another key to this is the hatred the medieval church had for Robin Hood. The church, despite their popularity, stamped out Robin Hood plays. Robin Hood was also associated with May Day, which the church tried in vain to squash.

The problem is that you're reading Witchvox and expecting some sort of intelligence. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 pm
Adalyna
earth centered paganism, not in making all paganism earth centered.
That's the only definition of "Pagan" that's given for the UUA. This is the closest thing to explicitly defining "Pagan" you get. Suffice it to say, it's pretty restrictive. "Pagans, Wiccans, and people who follow other earth-based spiritual traditions[...]" is the start of that bit, with the semantic implication that "Pagan/Wiccan = earth-based". Never mind that they're spreading "Paganism", that horrible homogenized smear that has Greeks celebrating Samhain on October 31st and "Vikings" worshiping "The Goddess" as manifested by Freya on the first Sunday after the liturgical new moon after the vernal equinox. There's also a "The Goddess" bent in the writing linked to on that page - you know, "The Goddess", the one that your female deities are facets of, that the Jews call Shekinah?

Seriously, how can anyone claim to respect a religion when they mash conflicting theologies together and pretend that they can just all play nice? It's beyond syncretic. It's annexing. It's religious lebensraum.  

Hawk Atreides

Hawk Atreides

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:53 am
I long for the days when "I worship Osiris and Isis as my Lord and Lady, the male and female aspects of the Native American Great Spirit" was something that was mashed up from multiple posters or fabricated entirely.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:24 am
Hawk Atreides
Seriously, how can anyone claim to respect a religion when they mash conflicting theologies together and pretend that they can just all play nice? It's beyond syncretic. It's annexing. It's religious lebensraum.

It's cultural appropriation.  

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

Hawk Atreides

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:52 am
Yanueh
Hawk Atreides

I'm still gonna go with Lebensraum, considering that not only do some of these people choose to "borrow" things from other religions or cultures, they have the gall to tell the original religion or culture that they are wrong about the details of their own deities, artifacts, rituals, or concepts. That's not even getting into the head-splodey they go into when you dare to tell them that they might have been just a tad disrespectful.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:30 am
My new roommate says that a 4000 year old angel is bound to him. According to him the angel serves The Council- a group of gods who refuse to reveal themselves to humanity because they believe that humans should make their own spiritual destiny.
The angel is completely Good. It is a defender and protector. It's other angelic duties were waves- except for the military obligations when great heavenly wars are fought between the forces of good and the forces of evil. Because all his other duties are waved, he decided to come to earth and experience life rather than just observe it and that is why he is bound to my roommate.

I have a headache.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:56 pm
Hawk Atreides
Yanueh
Hawk Atreides

I'm still gonna go with Lebensraum, considering that not only do some of these people choose to "borrow" things from other religions or cultures, they have the gall to tell the original religion or culture that they are wrong about the details of their own deities, artifacts, rituals, or concepts. That's not even getting into the head-splodey they go into when you dare to tell them that they might have been just a tad disrespectful.

I don't feel as though a lot of these people realize that they are, as well, making a value/worth statement about the people from whom they "borrow."

Take for instance the Native American community. Much of what people think of as "Native American" is more Lakota than anything else (and much of this has to do with the American Indian Movement and the homogenization of Indian spirituality from its own revival movement in the 70's). Now, the Lakota have an active declaration of war against non-Natives who steal their spirituality, rituals, culture, etc. When people go ahead and take from them anyhow, especially when they are made aware that this culture doesn't want them to, they are making the statement: "these people do not have the same value as I do; they are not worth as much as me and their thoughts are not as worthy of consideration as my own except when I explicitly extend my own value onto them, ie when I decide they have merit."

Though, not realizing they're doing it is no excuse when someone explains what's wrong and they respond by dumping privilege all over it and hoping that drowns it out.

Coffee has made me chatty. 3nodding

Esiris
My new roommate says that a 4000 year old angel is bound to him. According to him the angel serves The Council- a group of gods who refuse to reveal themselves to humanity because they believe that humans should make their own spiritual destiny.
The angel is completely Good. It is a defender and protector. It's other angelic duties were waves- except for the military obligations when great heavenly wars are fought between the forces of good and the forces of evil. Because all his other duties are waved, he decided to come to earth and experience life rather than just observe it and that is why he is bound to my roommate.

confused This sounds like the plot of an anime. I'm expecting that both personalities are stubborn, though the angel's stubborness is compounded by curiosity - comedic hijinks ensue?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:06 pm
Collowrath

Esiris

confused This sounds like the plot of an anime. I'm expecting that both personalities are stubborn, though the angel's stubborness is compounded by curiosity - comedic hijinks ensue?

I had that in mind as well. Some people just really surprise you with this kind of silliness.  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:59 pm
He's a nice guy- he just hasn't been around people who weren't pagan because it was cool.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:19 am
Esiris

I have a headache.
Oddly enough, he's only a step away from a Christian fiction work in which angels are incarnated so that they may experience God's love through the salvation of Christ. Yes, there is a Christian fiction work in which angels do not experience God's love, are not directly in His presence, and need to be stripped of power and made human in order to understand salvation.  

Hawk Atreides

Ainwyn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Esiris

I have a headache.

It sounds like we just get stuck with special roommates smile One of mine just told me that it was natural for all polytheists to become monotheists, since they believe all their gods are one god anyway. I really wanted to tell him to look up what polytheist meant and slam my door (I'm stressing and he's annoying on a regular basis), but I played nice.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:39 pm
Ainwyn
It sounds like we just get stuck with special roommates smile One of mine just told me that it was natural for all polytheists to become monotheists, since they believe all their gods are one god anyway. I really wanted to tell him to look up what polytheist meant and slam my door (I'm stressing and he's annoying on a regular basis), but I played nice.

Soft polytheism- sure. The rest of the polytheists? Not so much.

Hawk Atreides
Oddly enough, he's only a step away from a Christian fiction work in which angels are incarnated so that they may experience God's love through the salvation of Christ. Yes, there is a Christian fiction work in which angels do not experience God's love, are not directly in His presence, and need to be stripped of power and made human in order to understand salvation.

I mentioned that angels were pretty Christian and he said something about this one working for "The Old Gods".  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Hawk Atreides

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:11 am
Esiris
I mentioned that angels were pretty Christian and he said something about this one working for "The Old Gods".
Just gonna go ahead and say that ever time I hear "Old Gods" I wind up thinking "Elder Gods". So in my head, your roomie is bound to an angel that works for Yog-Sothoth or whatnot.

Gotta love nebulous terms like "Old Gods", don't you? Such a great way to have a completely non-specific religious opinion that only serves as an Excuse Plot for your Mr. Dark stories.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games