Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 221 222 223 224 225 226 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:14 am
Bastemhet
whiporwill-o
Namikikyo
whiporwill-o
*beats head against brick wall*
i hate my biology class *wham* i hate my biology class *wham* i hate my biology class *wham*...

my teacher is so... everywhere! the only thing i remember her saying in class is that jesus must've been non-polar because he could walk on water... *wham*

Have you considered taking personal notes? When I have a hard time paying attention, I usually try to make things interesting by jotting down important words or making little doodles that correspond to the lesson.

Is it just like this in Biology?

i do take notes. gonk we kinda have to because most of the stuff she says or puts in her power-point is not going to be on the tests, nor are they relevant to her class... and she told us this herself...

yes, biology is the only class i'm having this problem in, the other instructors are very straight forward with their teaching style and what-not (i even understand fractions now thanks to my math instructor).

Have you asked if you can have her power points as a study aid?

Whiporwhill said that the powerpoints aren't relevant to the class  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:23 am
Actually, you aren't willing to listen.
See, listening isn't the same as "hearing". Listening is a skill and it requires effort and an attempt to understand.

Not this bitchy, whiny s**t that you do when someone dares to contradict your delusions.

Also? Get serious psychological help. You have issues, fine. You're anger management issues are abusive and that's why you are alone. You need to ******** heal before you perpetuate the abuse in your personal relationships.

Critical Thinking skills are important. Get some.  

TeaDidikai

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:00 am
TeaDidikai
Critical Thinking skills are important. Get some.
I spent four whole semesters in school having them drilled into my head, alongside med math and some other things that I've since forgotten.

The combination of nursing school and ED life have really ramped up these, and I recommend them to anyone who doesn't mind going insane and carrying on the same conversations repeatedly.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:10 am
Byaggha
The combination of nursing school and ED life have really ramped up these, and I recommend them to anyone who doesn't mind going insane and carrying on the same conversations repeatedly.
Heh. I think it has less to do with repeating the same conversations over and over.

Folks who don't apply Critical Thinking Skills have the same conversations over and over- they're just flawed mantras that are internally inconsistent.  

TeaDidikai

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:14 am
TeaDidikai
Folks who don't apply Critical Thinking Skills have the same conversations over and over- they're just flawed mantras that are internally inconsistent.
True that.

But the realization that I was repeating same arguments over and over is one of the things that helped learn me real good. Eventually I was forced into serious critical examination. 3nodding

Or I've just always done it naturally and didn't really take notice until I started doing the repeat conversation thing... ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:03 pm
ShadowCatSoul
Bastemhet
whiporwill-o
Namikikyo
whiporwill-o
*beats head against brick wall*
i hate my biology class *wham* i hate my biology class *wham* i hate my biology class *wham*...

my teacher is so... everywhere! the only thing i remember her saying in class is that jesus must've been non-polar because he could walk on water... *wham*

Have you considered taking personal notes? When I have a hard time paying attention, I usually try to make things interesting by jotting down important words or making little doodles that correspond to the lesson.

Is it just like this in Biology?

i do take notes. gonk we kinda have to because most of the stuff she says or puts in her power-point is not going to be on the tests, nor are they relevant to her class... and she told us this herself...

yes, biology is the only class i'm having this problem in, the other instructors are very straight forward with their teaching style and what-not (i even understand fractions now thanks to my math instructor).

Have you asked if you can have her power points as a study aid?

Whiporwhill said that the powerpoints aren't relevant to the class

My bad, I guess I missed that part. Good luck to you whip.  

Bastemhet

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:51 pm
I need help.

Quote:
There is a website called www.realhapas.com, on which Lana Robbins states
When Hawaiians began to mix with Caucasians they began to have offspring who were Hawaiian and Caucasian. That is when Hawaiians of Hawaiian and Caucasian ancestry created a Hawaiian word to describe themselves and people like them. Eventually these Hawaiians of Hawaiian and Caucasian ancestry began to use the word "hapa" for a part, portion, or fragment of Hawaiian people, places, and things. Until [Japanese Americans] began to rape their language. Today's rape of the Hawaiian language also implies that the Hawaiian language means nothing and thus the Hawaiian people are nothing.

Robbins continues,
The raping of Hawaii continues with a new group of Colonizers, the California Wanna Be Hapas. As colonizers, California Wanna Be Hapas raped from Hawaiian Hapas their very identity, culture, and history and called it their own. These colonizers justified their illegal actions by creating organizations such as Hapa Issues Forum and other "Hapa" online forums. They gained allies from elite mixed Eurasians who like California Wanna Be Hapas, stole their term from the wartime and colonial Eurasians while stomping on the rights of Amerasians and Hawaiian Hapas.

I'm upset that this person uses "rape" as exchangeable for "misappropriation." I am having trouble articulating why. I don't have any formal experience with describing or writing about rape culture. I would appreciate if other people could help me out as to why this is offensive and how I can explain it to other people.

Context: my teacher wrote a paper about using the word Hapa to describe Asians with mixed heritages, and this was one argument she cited. I wanted to bring up this thing about rape since she seemed to be creating a safe and attentive space for how we use language since she taught us about how the word caucasian is not correct to describe white people, or how Native American can only be used if the person in question agrees to its usage or prefers "American Indian" or simply their tribal name, etc.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:06 pm
Do you feel the same way when we use the term culture rape? Or when American Indians use similar language?

(I do get your unease. I feel it a bit too, that theres a little bit of a shock mentality going on)  

maenad nuri
Captain

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:16 pm
I can't seem to reply in the chat topic  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:03 pm
maenad nuri
Do you feel the same way when we use the term culture rape?

Yes. I actually used this phrase myself, before I started reading up on rape culture and how absolutely triggering it can be for rape survivors to hear this word thrown around on a daily basis to describe trivial things, or things that are bad but are nowhere near similar to having your body forcibly invaded and defiled.

Quote:
Or when American Indians use similar language?

What do you mean? If an American Indian said "my culture is being raped" I would say "I understand how frustrating and ******** up it is for other cultures to deny your culture autonomy, but I object to your use of the word rape to describe this action since there are people who have actually been raped that are upset that it is being trivialized for 'shock factor,' or to play up how negative something is by adding even more layers to the negativity by associating it with rape. Rape does not happen to language or culture, it happens to people. We should respect other people's feelings about words that they associate with physical trauma and use another word that is more sensitive to that context, just like I would not call you something you don't want to be called."

Um...tangent. But yeah.

Quote:
(I do get your unease. I feel it a bit too, that theres a little bit of a shock mentality going on)

Very much so. My stomach is literally turning and I'm trying not to post something like "I'M ******** PISSED AND HERE IS WHY." I understand the teacher is not to blame as she's quoting someone else's words, but I'm so sure that there is another source out there that says the same thing without being insensitive to rape survivors, especially when the person using the phrase have not been raped, and the people they're referring to have not been raped. Rape is rape, it is not a metaphor. It's an actual visceral experience that many people who have experienced it would not like to be constantly reminded of, and we need to respect that.  

Bastemhet

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:40 pm
Namikikyo
Have you ever met with this teacher after class to explain this to her?

i have tried, sadly she's not much help. it usually ends with her telling me that she has poste study guides on the school website. she's a very nice, pleasant lady, her teaching methods just tend to, um, suck.

Aino Ailill
Have yoy considered getting a tape recorder? I know some people who did that with their professors who had accents and were thus hard to understand.

i've thought about it, but she doesn't really want us using them. plus i don't think that they'd help much because of her jumping around so much and she tries to use half-assed visual aids more often than not (like rough doodles on the white board) and she asks the students questions and i can barely hear them answer her. i think that also causes a problem with my not being able to keep up with her.

Bastemhet
Good luck to you whip.

lol, thank you.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:11 pm
How ******** dare you, you son of a b***h.

I came to you, brought up my concerns about the online system for the school's online courses. I told you that my old name, the name I used before I transitioned, my still legal name, is on that online system and that there is a risk of me being outed to the class.

I made you a separate system, using google groups, with my own time and effort I went above and beyond the call of duty to aid you in preventing harm to fall on me, a duty that is quite small despite the sheer ridiculous entitlement of your kind towards mine.

You refused that system. You ignored my pleas. And my project partner won't work with me now, possibly because he knows I'm trans. Still I had a chance. A chance that the rest would assume I was merely someone else. A chance I wouldn't be put at risk, wouldn't be exposed, wouldn't be turned into a ******** spectacle.

But then you, in your ridiculous ignorance, in your unfeeling, unthinking abhorrent stupidity, in the depths of your cis privileged failure, you just had to make it explicit. Knowing that my old name is used for my account you still labeled the title of the discussion I have to lead with my new name, the name I am transitioning to. Knowing full well that the new name and the old name will be forced into comparison, as the label in the title will not match the account that it claims to describe. Knowing full well this difference, you did it anyway. You have stolen from me, my choice to reveal or not reveal myself. You have violated my privacy, my medical privacy, through your ignorance and apathy. You have opened me up to bigoted ridicule and possibly even violence because you could not be bothered to use your ******** brain, for even a moment, about something that was outside your little sparkly cis privileged world.

You are scum. Fall to the Void. Mire in Entropy for eternity. You no longer have a right to be called "teacher". A being so laced with willful ignorance as yourself, given every possible warning, is the exact opposite of the wisdom required to teach. You are a lie and I Reject you.

You will have no respect from me. Fall Away and be Ended.  

Recursive Paradox

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:00 pm
Recursive Paradox
How ******** dare you, you son of a b***h.

I came to you, brought up my concerns about the online system for the school's online courses. I told you that my old name, the name I used before I transitioned, my still legal name, is on that online system and that there is a risk of me being outed to the class.

I made you a separate system, using google groups, with my own time and effort I went above and beyond the call of duty to aid you in preventing harm to fall on me, a duty that is quite small despite the sheer ridiculous entitlement of your kind towards mine.

You refused that system. You ignored my pleas. And my project partner won't work with me now, possibly because he knows I'm trans. Still I had a chance. A chance that the rest would assume I was merely someone else. A chance I wouldn't be put at risk, wouldn't be exposed, wouldn't be turned into a ******** spectacle.

But then you, in your ridiculous ignorance, in your unfeeling, unthinking abhorrent stupidity, in the depths of your cis privileged failure, you just had to make it explicit. Knowing that my old name is used for my account you still labeled the title of the discussion I have to lead with my new name, the name I am transitioning to. Knowing full well that the new name and the old name will be forced into comparison, as the label in the title will not match the account that it claims to describe. Knowing full well this difference, you did it anyway. You have stolen from me, my choice to reveal or not reveal myself. You have violated my privacy, my medical privacy, through your ignorance and apathy. You have opened me up to bigoted ridicule and possibly even violence because you could not be bothered to use your ******** brain, for even a moment, about something that was outside your little sparkly cis privileged world.

You are scum. Fall to the Void. Mire in Entropy for eternity. You no longer have a right to be called "teacher". A being so laced with willful ignorance as yourself, given every possible warning, is the exact opposite of the wisdom required to teach. You are a lie and I Reject you.

You will have no respect from me. Fall Away and be Ended.

Omg, your teacher outed you as a trans?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:26 pm
ShadowCatSoul

Yes and I would prefer if you referred to me as a trans person, not "a trans". It's like calling a black person "a black" or a gay person "a gay". It's a tad bit offensive.  

Recursive Paradox

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:33 pm
Recursive Paradox
ShadowCatSoul

Yes and I would prefer if you referred to me as a trans person, not "a trans". It's like calling a black person "a black" or a gay person "a gay". It's a tad bit offensive.

Sorry if I offended you. I have gay friends, they make more gay jokes than most straight people I know, so I know they don't get offended by being called gays. But I understand, so again, sorry. In any case, I don't think he had any right to do that. What did you say to him?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 221 222 223 224 225 226 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games