Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:45 pm
Deoridhe

Aes is the closest I could think of, but I'm not a linguist as such.
Wouldn't that have excluded the Vanir?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:17 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
Aes is the closest I could think of, but I'm not a linguist as such.

Wouldn't that have excluded the Vanir?

Yes.

Frey and Freya are considered both Vanir and Aesir. They were adopted into the Aesir so strongly, in fact, that they received no harm even when their exchange-person (Mimir) was killed (according to one story) by the Vanir.

Just as Skadhi is both Thurse and Aesir, and some say Loki is both Etin and Aesir, Aesir is a group which can include those who also belong to other groups.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:16 pm
FWIW, etymonline gives the etymology of "god" as such.
Deity too.
sweatdrop .  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:53 pm
Is there anything that would include all those beings? Any title?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:53 am
TeaDidikai

Not that I know of.

Keep in mind, for much of the stories the Thurses were the enemies, but Odin, Vili, and Ve were descended of Thurses.

Near as I can tell given the bewildering array of terms for different groups, and the enormous gaps in our knowledge, differences between groups were much less physiological and much more social - as in, competing tribes. Skadhi is an example of someone who was a Thurse (her father was Thjadi whose name I am mangling but who pressured Loki into Oathing him Idunn and her apples) who came to the Aesir as an enemy after the death of her father. She ended up marrying into the family, and is worshiped to this day.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:25 pm
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai

Not that I know of.

Keep in mind, for much of the stories the Thurses were the enemies, but Odin, Vili, and Ve were descended of Thurses.

Near as I can tell given the bewildering array of terms for different groups, and the enormous gaps in our knowledge, differences between groups were much less physiological and much more social - as in, competing tribes. Skadhi is an example of someone who was a Thurse (her father was Thjadi whose name I am mangling but who pressured Loki into Oathing him Idunn and her apples) who came to the Aesir as an enemy after the death of her father. She ended up marrying into the family, and is worshiped to this day.
Curious.

So really, there isn't a title that we could accurately use to address the summation of the divine beings- which sometimes leads me to wonder about how one might go about worshiping beings like Hugnin or Gari.  

TeaDidikai

bondage bunnie

4,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:23 pm
TeaDidikai

I think the title for all the beings would be Jötnar and Wights. Seeing as how there is little difference between Aesir, Vanir and giants or Jötnum.

Besides the fact that Aesir seem to be no more than a family or clan within the master race of giants. Vanir as such are another clan within the giants, who often but not always rival the Aesir. The whole structure follows the clan structures of human on earth at the time, so it is my opinion they are all just giants. Or all giants are gods, but the Jötnum pay little attention to the workings of humans. No one knows anything till they die anyways.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:14 pm
bondage bunnie
TeaDidikai

I think the title for all the beings would be Jötnar and Wights. Seeing as how there is little difference between Aesir, Vanir and giants or Jötnum.

Besides the fact that Aesir seem to be no more than a family or clan within the master race of giants. Vanir as such are another clan within the giants, who often but not always rival the Aesir. The whole structure follows the clan structures of human on earth at the time, so it is my opinion they are all just giants. Or all giants are gods, but the Jötnum pay little attention to the workings of humans. No one knows anything till they die anyways.
The problem with your opinion is that you're working from the presumption that Joten translates as giant and that somehow unites these rather than addressing the fact that it could be just another clan.  

TeaDidikai

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:35 am
In talking to someone on another forum, I heard something I hadn't really considered before.

Is our society and the way we live today as compatible with their philosophies? Would our lifestyle, even with some changes after becoming Asatru, be anything at all like the old peoples and be something they wouldn't see as pathetic?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:51 am
Taliah
In talking to someone on another forum, I heard something I hadn't really considered before.

Is our society and the way we live today as compatible with their philosophies? Would our lifestyle, even with some changes after becoming Asatru, be anything at all like the old peoples and be something they wouldn't see as pathetic?
Not to step on Deo's toes, but Asatru is a reconstruction, not a restorationist movement.

Reconstruction deals with what we can do in the here and now.
Restoration deals with implanting the past in the present.

I don't know any Asatru folks who pretend they are what the faith looked like a couple thousand years ago. That isn't the goal.  

TeaDidikai

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:55 pm
I guess it comes to this.

The place most folks wanted to go back in the day was Valhalla, and to do that you had to die honorably in battle, right? Deo said a little while back that she didn't much want that, because those Odin picks are also those who fight during the Ragnarok. ... I forget where people who don't fit that criteria go. Were they considered less for it? Or can you still be considered honorable if you never fight? ...How does that work? Or has Deo explained that somewhere in here and I've missed it?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:14 am
Taliah
I guess it comes to this.

The place most folks wanted to go back in the day was Valhalla,
I'm not sure that's true. I mean, sure, maybe most warriors wanted to. But most people in general?

Quote:
I forget where people who don't fit that criteria go.
A number of places, but mostly Hel's realm where they sleep.

Quote:

Were they considered less for it?
I'd figure if you were a warrior and you kicked off by falling off your horse, you likely were thought less of.  

TeaDidikai

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:16 pm
What significance does the naming of the rivers that run around/through/near Yggdrasil have in the Grimnismol?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:03 pm
Taliah

I can't speak for how the ancestors see me, not the ancient ones at least. I honor them but have no direct connection to them reliable enought o hear what they think.

And ultimately, it doesn't matter what they think. We take from their society cues, but the assumption by most AsatruaR and reconstrucitonists is that had they survived into the modern day they would have changed. We're more trying to trace where the trajectory might have landed than trying to go back in time.

Taliah
The place most folks wanted to go back in the day was Valhalla, and to do that you had to die honorably in battle, right?

This is false and likely a result of rethinking the old lore from a divided, Heaven/Hell mindset which comes much later than those who once worshiped the gods I now worship.

Taliah
Deo said a little while back that she didn't much want that, because those Odin picks are also those who fight during the Ragnarok. ...

That's not actually what I said. I said that the Einharjar who ended up in Valhalla, which is a hall within Asgardhr, fought every day until only one lived. That is NOT a life for me!

Taliah
I forget where people who don't fit that criteria go.

Rumor is that Freya chooses those who left family behind on Midgardhr to reunite them after the deaths of those family. Her reasoning is that she misses her Husband dearly, and so she doesn't want to see the Einharjar who left behind loved ones suffer int he same way.

She gets half of the slain, and she picks whom.

Taliah
Were they considered less for it? Or can you still be considered honorable if you never fight? ...How does that work? Or has Deo explained that somewhere in here and I've missed it?

Late Viking stuff seems to indicate that warriors held non-warriors in contempt, but we have very little sense of what people in general felt. What we do know is it was likely variable, as people are variable.

Synnthetika
What significance does the naming of the rivers that run around/through/near Yggdrasil have in the Grimnismol?

No idea.

Are there any in particular you're curious about?  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash