Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Harry Potter Guild of Gaia
The Hogwarts Monthly! May Issue 2015 [OPEN READ ME] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you ready for the new issue !?
  Yes!!
  I didn't know we had a paper.
  Can I please be a writer !?
View Results

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:19 pm
╔╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╗

User Image

Issue Number: 3.7
EDITOR
: Aunt Slappy

Table of Contents:
1. Cover Page/ToB
2. Caption Contest winner!
3. Birthdays
4. Retiring Mods/ Welcome New Mods
5. News That Spreads Through The Halls
6. Potter watch (HPFF)
7. Valentine frantics
8. Myths of the Muggle World (cupid)
9. Witch Weekly (entertainment)
10. Be Active
11. Note from the Editor
12. Thanks to HM Staff

╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:23 pm
╔╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╗

gaia_gaiagold Caption Contest Winner gaia_gaiagold

The Caption Contest Winner is drum roll please...... The Queen Lana! and your winning gift shall be eek given to you on a private agenda by the Hogwarts Staff and the winning caption is:

User Image

╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:35 pm

◘ Birthdays ◘

If your birthday is in January but is not listed here, please post it in this thread. Make sure the guild knows of any name changes!

From you Fellow members of the Guild we would like to wish you a happy birthday,
biggrin

User Image
February 1 - February 18

3- Hope Maxime Hagrid (1999)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:15 pm

User Image
That's right, I wanted to get the inside scoop on the people of power here at HPGoG and I was fortunate enough to land interviews with a few of them and statements from the rest! And I'm here to share their exclusive words with you, dear readers!

User ImageUser Image
[[The Headmaster enters the room, sits in the cushy armchair, and sips his tea, a pleasant smile on his face.]]

Thank you Headmaster for agreeing to speak with me.
Of course my dear, anything for the Hogwarts Monthly!
That is very kind. Then I think we should just get right to it and not keep our readers waiting any longer. Professor, I believe it was your duty to select the replacements for the Head of House Positions, can you tell us what that was like?
Ah yes, of course. Well reading the applications was quite a treat, there’s nothing I enjoy more than hearing the ideas of our members. And so many loyal and wonderful members applied, but break my heart, that there could only be one for each position. [[Chuckling]] I mean, we can’t go about with 5 Heads of Hufflepuff House now can we? It did leave me feeling very fortunate that we have so many wonderful and dedicated members ready to help out.
Oh yes, help is always appreciated at Hogwarts. So, how is the new team looking? Should we expect great things?
Oh, I'm so glad you asked! I’m very happy with this new team we’ve put together. They are all bursting with ideas and are all very eager to get to work. And best of all, they all want the best for their charges, so whether you are an Elf, a Gryffindor, or a Slytherin, everyone has a very eager advocate!

Oh that does sound wonderful, Professor, I have one last question that I've been meaning to ask you...

Of course, Anything my dear!

Well, I've always wondered, Professor Adonis, what house were you sorted into when you went to Hogwarts?

[[He strokes his beard for a second looking contemplative]]

Well, I'm afraid I can't answer that, I've got to keep the members guessing somehow!
[[He stands and shakes my hand with a wink and sweeps out of the room without another word.]]

User ImageUser Image
[[A little house elf teeters in, she first examines the chair, nudges it slightly to the right then nods, apparently satisfied and hops into the chair, her feet sticking out over the edge]]

Um, I believe you're a new addition to the staff, so why don't we start with your name?

I is Winibroc, Winibroc the House Elf. But my old mistress is calling me "Winnie." And you may too, miss.

Alright Winnie, you've been appointed as Head Elf, is that correct?

[[A Nod.]]

Uh- Right. I notice that you're wearing clothes, so you're a-a freed house elf?

[[No Response, a few blinks]]

--You've been dismissed by your mistress?

OOOHHhh NO Miss! Not at All! My Mistress is off traveling the world, and she is thinking that Winnie would be happier here, so here I is.

Oh, I'm sorry, I just thought because your state of dress-- well, House Elves don't normally wear pearls.

Oh these, they were a gift from my Mistress, she is always telling Winnie "Enchanted Enslavement Is No Reason To Go Gallivanting About In Naught But A Bed Sheet."

Ah, indeed. So, how'd you end up with the Head Elf job? I haven't seen you around in the kitchens before.

Well, the Headmaster was wanting an Elf who is being able to stick around, and forward thinking one. So he is sending an owl to my mistress and she is sending me here. I is ready and anxious to begin my work, and will be in the Kitchens as soon as I can pluck up the courage.

Oh, I see. Well, what kind of ideas do you have for our House Elves here at Hogwarts?

Oh well, I is wanting the kitchens to become a safe place for us to be relaxed and open, and to be helping us all explore the bounds of what a House Elf is, and does, Miss.

Oh, well that does sound exciting! I look forward to you're -uh- unique leadership. Thank you for seeing me!

[[Winnie hops up from her seat with a squeak and curtseys deeply before scurrying out of the room.]]

User ImageUser Image
I unfortunately didn't get the chance to interview Nell, but she was simply the sweetest when I stopped her in the loo for a comment.

"Hello All!~ My name is Yukina101 (or Nell in the roleplay) and I've been chosen to be the new Head of Gryffindor House. I'm very excited and look forward to revamping my House and getting to know every single member of it. I've noticed a lack of Gryffindor replies in the forums and find this horribly unacceptable! I want them nearly dominated in reds! *blushes and climbs down from soapbox* But I digress, it's been an honor to be chosen and I will do my best to uphold my position."

User ImageUser Image
Oh my, and our illustrious editor has been far too busy for me to get to have a sit down with her, but I believe I heard her voice echoing through the halls after the appointments were announced.

"I feel really honored to be chosen for Head of Hufflepuff, it was like being under the sorting hat again."

User ImageUser Image
Unfortunately our wonderful Veteran mod of Ravenclaw House is still a little under the weather from her bout of dragonpox.
I greatly encourage you all to send her cards and flowers to help her get back on her feet.

User ImageUser Image
I heard through the rumor mill that the last time someone tried to interview James he'd charmed all the drawers in their living quarters to fly open every time they said the word "cheese." Very disconcerting when your trying to do a shoot for the Monthly. Anyways, I thought it better to get a quote from him in a crowded area.

"Hey I'm techpriest35 the new Head of House for Slytherin most call me "James" or "tech" I don't care which.
My birthday is March 28th and I so want to win the house cup for my birthday.
Anyways, let's all try our best and have fun!"

And for anyone worried that we've somehow tamed your legendary prankster, it wasn't until three hours later that I discovered the "Levicorpus Me!" sign on my back.

User ImageUser Image
What!? That's right, the lovely Amber Moonshade has only resigned from her Head of House duties, but she continues to help out in the modsquad and has graciously agreed to continue running the ID shop!
One last note given to me by the editor, she said she had a message from Amber Moonshade, what she had is as follows:

This guild has done so much for me. It's shown me the true meaning behind being a Hufflepuff, given me pride for my house, provided me with countless friends, and even helped me grow as a leader and writer. I will never forget the people I've encountered through this guild and most definitely will never forget the overwhelming happiness that becoming a prefect and eventually Head of House gave me. So thank you to the wonderful ladies that I've been honored to work with, to Juni who was a wonderful Head of House that I still continue to miss, to the Deputy Heads and Prefects that have helped me immensely, and of course to our successors who will keep this guild alive when a majority of the crew thought it would die. Though my activity may decrease greatly, I can never truly leave, even if I just watch from the sidelines. And so I look forward to seeing all of you, especially our wonderful members, in the future.

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:15 pm

◘ News That Spreads Through The Halls ◘

User Image

Dear Students We are ALWAYS interested in what you have to say, Suggestions, Feedback, a good place to start would be in SFQ forum where we will answer any and every question! 3nodding

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:18 pm
◘ PotterWatch ◘

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quote:
He stood motionless in the rain, one foot on the sill. His eyes were focused on the disappearing man in front of him. His hand was still raised in some sort of a wave. He didn’t bother to lower it again; no-one would see it anyway.

The warmth of their half-hug still lingered around his body, keeping him warm in the cold rain. His skin burned on the place where Sirius had placed a playful kiss. The Black didn’t know what he was doing to his best friend. If it kept going this way he would never know. Coward.

Yes, he was a Gryffindor, but sometimes the bravery every Gryffindor should posses just left. It flowed away every time he had a closer moment with Sirius. A Gryffindor, but not in love. Coward was the only thing his brain then responded for hours, even days. Even longer after the full moon. Sirius was always there to protect him from becoming a murderer. And instead of confessing everything in the Hospital Wing the next day he just swallowed his words and just muttered a useless ‘thank you’. Sirius would always be there as a friend.

Maybe that was the problem. Their friendship. How would Sirius react? How would James react? He even worried about Pete, although he would probably make less fuss about it than James. The thought of their reactions made him cringe.

How would they survive anyway? He was a werewolf, no-one should be in a relationship with him. It was way too dangerous.

Tell him. His mind spoke up again, this time followed by the argument no-one could ignore. War. He stared at his feet. What if it happened? What if one of them died during the war? Then the secret went nowhere and then he could feel depressed for the rest of his life. Or Sirius ha d to live on with the loss of his best friend.

He needed to tell Sirius, as quickly as possible. Now? The man was already so far away, he couldn’t just yell it over street, could he? Could he? He could, but he didn’t dare. He would never dare, he would never say the three words he so desperately wanted to say.

The warmth disappeared. He started to realize how cold in fact was. Inside, he had to go inside before he froze to death. Sirius was still visible, about to take a corner to the place where he could disapparate safely. The wind lay down for a moment and an icy silence took over what the wind had left behind.

Break it. He didn’t dare to break it. He needed to break it. He needed to tell Sirius. He had to give his heart the freedom to speak for its own. He had to push away his rational mind. But saying that was easier than doing so. He took a step forward, his heart pounding at a way too high speed in his chest.

“Sirius!” Wait! Please?

“What?”

“Nothing.” I love you…

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:18 pm

◘ Muggle Holiday: Valentine's Day ◘

We had our reporters disguise themselves as muggles and a few words that constantly came up in the vocabulary for the following month was Valentine's Day, and unknowing what Valentine's day was, we ask a few muggles why they celebrate and not one had an answer besides Its for a special someone or a friend, but why did this day mean so much for a few? So we did our own research and found the meaning behind the celebration:
Why do Muggles celebrate Valentine's Day?

We celebrate Valentine's Day, because until 1969, it was one of the many Saint's Days observed by the Catholic Church. It was dedicated to the patron saint of romantic causes, St. Valentine.

Although it was removed from the Church's calendar in 1969, the religious meaning coupled with Valentine's Day's roots in Roman paganism have allowed it to continue as a holiday for everyone.

Early Christians saw Valentine's Day as a way to honor St. Valentine, of whom there were actually three. The Catholic Church recognizes three saints by that name, all who were martyred on February 14.

The St. Valentine the day is named for was, most likely, a priest in the 3rd century who performed secret marriages when the Roman Emperor Claudius II thought single soldiers were more likely to enlist in the army. That St. Valentine was imprisoned and executed on February 4, 270. It is believed he was responsible for giving the jailer's blind daughter back her eyesight, and before his execution, he sent herss a note saying, "From your Valentine." The phrase is still widely used on valentines today.

It wasn't until 1537 that St. Valentine's day was declared an official holiday. England's King Henry VIII, known for his ways of disposing of wives, declared February 14th a holiday. It was another century and a half before religious devotional cards became non-religious cards to reflect the change in the holiday.

In 496 A.D., February 14, was declared in the name of St. Valentine by Pope Gelasius. It remained a Church holiday until 1969, when Pope Paul VI took it from the calender.

On February 14, the ancient Romans celebrated the Feast of Lupercalia in honor of Juno, the queen of the Roman gods and goddesses. Juno was also the goddess of womesn and marriage so honoring her was thought to be a fertility rite.

At the feast held the next day, the women would write love letters and stick them in a large urn. The men would pick a letter from the urn and for the next year, pursue the woman who wrote the chosen letter. This custom lasted until the 1700s when people decided their beloveds should be chosen by sight, not luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Myths of a Muggle World

Today on myths of the Muggle World we are going to see the love story of a famous character in the Muggle World he apparently shots people with arrows, why couldn't they just use a love potion... whee
Once upon a time there was a king with three daughters. They were all beautiful, but by far the most beautiful was the youngest, Psyche. She was so beautiful that people began to neglect the worship of Venus, the goddess of love and beauty. Venus was very jealous, and asked her son Cupid (the boy with the arrows) to make Psyche fall in love with a horrible monster. When he saw how beautiful she was, Cupid dropped the arrow meant for her and pricked himself, and fell in love with her.

Despite her great beauty no-one wanted to marry Psyche. Her parents consulted an oracle, and were told that she was destined to marry a monster, and they were to take her to the top of a mountain and leave her there. The west wind took her and wafted her away to a palace, where she was waited on by invisible servants. When night came her new husband visited her, and told her that he would always visit her by night and she must never try to see him.

Although her invisible husband was kind and gentle with her, and the invisible servants attended to her every desire, Psyche grew homesick. She persuaded her husband to allow her sisters to visit her. When they saw how she lived they became very jealous and talked Psyche into peeking at her husband, saying that he was a monster who was fattening her up to be eaten and that her only chance of safety was to kill him. Psyche took a lamp and a knife, but when she saw her beautiful husband, Cupid, she was so surprised she dripped some hot wax onto his shoulder, waking him. He took in the situation at a glance and immediately left Psyche and the magnificent palace she had been living in disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Psyche roamed about looking for her husband, and eventually in desperation approached his mother, Venus. Still angry, the goddess set various tasks for Psyche, all of which she passed, with a bit of help from ants and river gods. At last Cupid found out what was going on, and he persuaded Jupiter to order Venus to stop her persecution of Psyche. Then they were married and lived happily ever after - and it really was ever after since Psyche was made a goddess.

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:25 pm

◘ Witch Weeky ◘

Today in our entertainment page we will show you hilarious images to make your day, ENJOY!

Disclaimer: (we are not responsible for your shortness of breath or urge to use the restroom, this month no offense to twilight)

Last Month we had a series of twilight pictures please had made fun of, In honor of laughing i hope you enjoy Feburary's Issue

User Image
User Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:32 pm

◘ Be Active! ◘

User Image

Hello Charming members, the guild has been in an active uproar, since news of brand new heads of houses and our retiring heads bid us farewell, but they retired with one great message that they knew the members of our guild would not give up and let it die heart Now what is it you can do? Well for starters you can board the Train, and meet up with your fellow members and make friends
You can Write comments in my Office, if you have any suggestions for the Hogwarts Monthly xp
You can also Post in the SFQ Forum where your ideas maybe put into actions, and questions and suggestions will be heard. Instead of someone to make a change be the one to do it!

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:34 pm
User Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:48 am

◘ Thanks to HM Staff ◘

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
Aunt Slappy .............. Queen Lana................. Vivacious_Red

If you would like to join our staff post in the Editor's Office