Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Worst Things You Can Ever Say As A Pagan Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 211 212 213 214 215 216 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:07 pm
Quote:
Ishtar Shakti

Because you can deal with your problems. Proactive measures coping strategies which are healthy counseling. Alot of people create a sort of self defeating miasma of beliefs which tell themselves that this is the way things are and their is nothing I can do to change this.

I feel it is important to note that not everyone has the resources to develop the kinds of strategies they need.

I know... I support institutionalizing access to these resources.

I'm fairly sure that making these resources available and increasing public awareness and awareness raising would be a definite help.

Quote:
Ishtar Shakti

I mentioned this. I understand that people may not be able to afford healthy foods. But I also know that people don't research what they are eating. Don't take measures to try to grow their own food etc. and don't limit their food intake

I was looking forward to having a small garden at my apartment complex. My landlord told me I was not allowed. I looked to sign up with a community garden program for low income families, but I am not eligible because of where I live and there is literally nothing for me. If I choose to move to a location where I can qualify, my monthly debt will rise over seven hundred dollars.

See there is a failing in the institution which should be altered. The world is not perfect... there are flaws and these flaws should be altered and changed to make the world a better place. Programs should be Expanded but they Can't because its expensive and due to the ignorance of people and sometimes unsubstantial fears as to property values etc. certain things aren't allowed. I rented a townhouse with several other people when we tried to start a garden it got mowed over. I ended up moving the garden to a place which I didn't own, government land. That seemed to work all right until I had to move.
Currently where I live they have school wide garden growing initiatives. Teaching children how to grow food and they sell the food at a local market. I think that this was a wonderful idea that should be adopted everywhere.
I do agree that there Are Problems. There are different values which are supported which curtail initiatives to change.

Consciousness raising is an important aspect to change. Also allocating resources and supporting teaching young students and children about nutrition and providing healthy alternatives etc.

Quote:
I spend the little extra on quality frozen vegetables, and choose whole grains when I can. I walk a great deal and I limit my calories. I am in a much better situation than others.

I buy what I can... I am a poor crazy coupon lady so I buy what I can afford when I can afford it and I am well aware of the fact that I have health issues because I Can Not afford anything that would actually benefit me. I limit what I eat and I exercise when I can and try to stay as fit as possible. Whats sad is that even if you look thin you can still be a well of health problems. 20 year olds with clogged arteries

I work as a cashier and all day every day I explain to people healthy alternative nutition facts ways to save money etc. Every customer every day... and I just watch people spend hundreds of dollars with or without food stamps on nutitional garbage.
Its sickening

The importance of healthy fats... cannot be over stressed. I just read label after label of nutrition facts... I tell people what they are eating and I get laughed at. People treat it like its a joke... people REVEL in the fact that they are slowly killling themselves.
People are proud of the fact that they can eat 20 double cheese burgers in a sitting.

Quote:
Ishtar Shakti
You also don't take into account the vast array of people who do have grocery stores and still refuse to eat anything that might even resemble something healthy. Foods filled with sugar and are highly processed.
I feel that maenad nuri isn't dismissing this, but instead she and others are hurt by the notion that the physical trait was being attacked, and as a result, many people who do try to be healthy are being focused on because of how they look, what they can afford...

There are ways to eat healthy foods... to limit the amount of food your eating and do so on a thin budget. I just wish what free food thats available was of better quality and their was more available.

I Did mention the fact that people Can't Afford healthy food alternatives. But at the same time some of the reasons are psychological and aren't substantial. If really do your research some of it is that unhealthy foods are easier to prepare. Are made to seem like they are more abundent then they really are (bread is very filling full of carbohydrates makes you feel like you ate alot even when you haven't)

There is a Plethra of factors involved. What I said specifically was that there is also a Mentality involved that is associated with a certain type of appearance. How a person looks and what is affecting their lives Are Interrelated and while I tried to ignore this for years it does not change the fact that unhealthy people look unhealthy and they are the ones that need the most amount of concern.

Of course hardening arteries can exist in young healthy looking people as well. your internal body chemistry isn't in the sole dimension of what you look like. You can't SEE the internal harm thats being done. You can't SEE the horrible things people are putting themselves through until they start reaching an age where the things that you did to yourself or were done to you when you were young have finally cought up to you.

I point to people who DO have physical signs of the damage as a WARNING. In No way is that Healthy.

Though if you look into native alaskan's biochemical physiology they are the only people who I would say have that particular appearance who might be considered healthy. Fatty Omega acids are for the win. Though they are being ... destroyed by the influx of the terrible s**t thats in super markets

If anything I would say the super market is probably the Bane of a persons ability to be healthy. Also healthy foods don't have good markets yet...

sigh... there is just soo much Involved in the issue... it pisses me off.

Quote:
Ishtar Shakti
I have never been to a place where they don't at least have frozen vegetables or some sort of naturally grown produce.
I have. I spent much of my youth in very poor parts of town where the nearest grocery store is miles away, and the convenience store doesn't carry anything healthy.

Most of the convienence stores I've been to usually have a can of something that looks like a vegetable and 99% of what they have is junk. Usually though they do have something. It is hard for me to believe that there was not a single vegetable in the entire store. I can believe that it might be near impossible to find it but usually it is there hidden somewhere. I've been to small towns and I've been to poor places and I've seen alot of different systems in place. Primarily as I work for a grocery store I am more familiar with what happens In a grocery store. This does not mean that I haven't been to places where there were only convienence stores. I just haven't as to yet seen one where that was the case

Though... I have heard the statistics where healthy foods are actually more expensive in lower income area's then unhealthy junk foods. The stores in those area's justify this fact because they don't make enough money to carry the healthy foods. They say not enough people buy them. Of course this is a highly debated subject of what causes what.
Quote:

Ishtar Shakti
I watch person after person decide they would rather buy a candy bar and soda then drink water and eat vegetables. I have never been to a place where their was not some option of health food.
I feel you are very blessed in this regard. I also feel it is important to note that availability is not the only resource that goes into making these decisions though.

Financial ability to purchase foods education and desirability of product and that people choose well marketed visually appealing foods over health factors are a few of the factors.
Again I Work for a grocery store. This is how I make my living. Again this does not mean that I have not visited other places markets etc. I just don't know them As well and throughout my entire life no matter what town I've visited I could usually find Something canned or otherwise that was somewhat healthy.

Though most places I've visited who had convienance stores were also more rural and their were farms. In some cases people would illegally pick crops for food. Skimming fields etc.

Quote:
Ishtar Shakti
Mostly the people who I have a problem with are people in the Upper Class Because they have the worst freaken diets and they have the means to provide otherwise. They then spend tons of money on supplements and other dietary aids to try to offset the disgustingly poor eating habits they've developed.

I feel that Nicole Darmon and Adam Drewnowski's study on this actually contradicts your conclusion about the quality of diet and economic class. Could you explain from where your conclusions are drawn? I feel it would be unfair to develop animosity based on a small group of people known personally if the group as a whole isn't engaging in the kinds of things that cause animosity.

Well I base most of what I consider upper class lower class etc. based off what I see people buy in various stores.

There are also some factors involved in what people buy much like education availability and ability to buy. I watch people buy groceries all day and I moniter how much they spend on what groceries and their equivalents and compare what they could have bought with what they did buy. This of course does not mean I know what they do with the food after they buy it or their actual income but more so I focus on how much people spend on surplus items etc.

What methods they use to pay is another key variable and responces to various questions and points I raise when they are buying food. What is percieved as being healthy vs. the actual nutritional facts involved.

I'm not 100% sure as to the economic class these people are a part of but for the most part... If I watch people spend money frivolously with food stamps I feel irritated.

99% of what I sell in multiple stores seems to be prepackaged crap.

Quote:
Ishtar Shakti

My mother does this. I wish her parents had in some way tought her that food did not equal happiness. I would prefere if someone had interveined and tought her better coping strategies and I wish my grandmother was not codependent and had left my grandfather like she planned to.

I feel that this isn't a cognitive issue. Food as medication is a chemical process, a biological nature within humanity that historically had not been possible. My personal experience is not that there was ever the thought that food could create happiness, but instead, the chemical processes that take place when we digest certain foods in the brain release different chemicals that have a positive effect on mood.

Bribing children with candy bars is something I see while I'm working. What my mother went through is more like what your descrbing. Two different irritants.

Quote:
Ishtar Shakti
I find that food based self medication is a horrible bi-product of neglectful parenting and abuse. This needs to be changed. It happens even today... and the parental actions such as bribing a child with a candy bar or a snack instead of a hug makes it worse. To give a child food instead of love is just... Terrible! It needs to be changed and addressed.

Unfortunately I do not see this as the issue. I was not bribed with food, nor deprived of signs of affection. Instead, because of biological processes, I sought out what I knew would provide comfort in the absence of feeling good- and it was not always my parents fault, though it was sometimes.

This is my own observations of things which happen in the super market. Children are bribed on a constant everyday basis in order to make them be quiet and behave.

Quote:
Ishtar Shakti
This is an entirely different issue. Couch potato children are a different subset of societal issues and norms which are adopted in some families. I meet people who that is their only interaction with their parents. It is the only time in which bonding may occure.
For the most part... This was my interaction with my mother. I was left to myself all day. I wandered the neighborhood for hours on end mostly playing in the woods. She couldn't afford anyone to watch me and my brother was abusive thus I was left to my own devices for hours and hours during the day.
If an accident occured then I was on my own as well but I learned how to fend for myself outside and not die soo all is well.
The only time I spent with my mom was when we watched a single TV show everynight together as a family and then she would go to her room and I wouldn't see her for hours on end. If my brother decided it was a good idea to strangle me no one was there. When I did go to my mom she would tell me not to upset my brother and he would say that I put him up to it.

Everyone has issues its how people choose to deal with them. I decided to stay as far away from home as possible to avoid getting hit strangled and otherwise mal treated. My mother never tought me how to deal with my issues and as a subsequent problem I ended up having to learn on my own what worked and what didn't work and because I was spending soo much time outside I ended up meeting alot of other children who had alot of other problems.

I am sorry, but I really do not feel there is a difference between not being able to go outside and thus spending a great deal of time sitting in my living room and a family choosing to have bonding centered in the living room since both feature choices made that restrict the actions of the child.

It is the mentality involved. By being active in avoiding and confronting the issue ie. telling my mom that it was a problem and taking preventive measures in order to deal with the problem the mentality that I have to issues is thus affected by my rearing and my childhood.

It also pervasively affects my decisions on a subconcious level. Because I was more proactive I ended up being more fit then my brother. He took the possition of sitting inside all day and thought that watching TV and spending time in that setting was the proper way to spend time and the TV is a comforting factor. This is seen in many different settings and is a product of certain rearing methods. I went off on a tangent because of personal distress and discord concerning the memory.

Quote:
Ishtar Shakti

I don't think penalyzing them would work either. They need counseling they need Programs they need support and if I can't trust parents to do this for them then some other institution needs to be put in place to provide this need. I mean soo many kids suffer neglect...
I feel that when you say you hate people like me because of our weight, you are penalizing us.

I Hate THE Mentality involved.

If I said I hated you that would be saying that this was somehow your fault. I hate the mentality and anyone who supports the mentality. I hate people saying that this is OK I hate sanctioning an issue. I Hate people Supporting something which will lead to their own death and I hate turning a blind eye to it.

I hate saying its OK ... because truly I Do Not feel its ok. There is also a difference between obesity and being over weight. There is a difference between having clean arteries and having clogged arteries.

Spectrums

There is a difference between being obese and being diabetic. You can be Obese and not diabetic and you can be diabetic and thin depending on multiple factors.

There is a difference between eating soo much unhealthy food that you make your self diabetic and being born with diabetes. There is a difference in causal factors and in many cases I think that its the parents responsisbility and failing that the State should provide a means to make sure that this doesn't Keep Happening!

Ishtar Shakti

Quote:
I find the problem to be the parents Not the children. The symtom is the children... the parents are the ones who need to change and forming some way to dissuade people from being parents in the first place is what I see as the first step.

I would be able to agree with this easier if it didn't involve saying you hate people because of what weight we are.
The symptoms you described are found across age, gender, social status and a number of other groupings.

I hate people not because of their weight but because of the mentality and the institutions and the mismanagement and alot of things. I hate Alot of aspects about society that I would really like to change. I think that people who are obese have an ability to not be. That its a matter of consistent choices that are made throughout the entirety of a persons life that lead to Obesity and that I don't want to sit idly by and watch this happen to more and more people.

I don't Know if you are obese or what you look like. I don't know

But if a person says that this is OK, I hate the mentality that says it is ok. It is All right. You can kill your self... I hate the fact that there is nothing To DO. That the markets aren't sustainable that they aren't pervasive that the methods being used are increasing the problem not decreasing it I hate all of these things I am angry because I feel as if there is nothing I can do and that people aren't going to listen and they aren't going to change and this view point makes me try HARDER to Make things change to promote what I can When I can and how I can even though I know... I can't help everyone.

As to your body and rights. I think it should be free not that everyone should be forced to take birth control. The government should support population control. That means Support not Dictate. The government should support the well being of the Child. Support which means saying... This is your child. This is your responsibility you Will Pay for them and Support them and we will provide means for this through taxation.

It also doesn't seem fair to make Everyone pay for the child other then the parent. Parents should hold fiscal responsibility for their progeny.

Also SIZE TEN OMG what the hell do you think I look like! Thats not what Obesity is. BMI Body Mass Index... Thats what obesity is.

Do you think I'm a size ten Hell NAW

Don't twist my words.

I will agree that it is a complex system of interactions. But what I HATE is the MENTALITY which Supports the SYSTEM

I hate stagnation and people working against HEALTH

I HATE Ignoring ISSUES

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE!!!!!

I Hate the thought that its ok to hit children

I hate the thought that its ok to bribe children with candy bars...

This does not mean that the people who hold these opinions are hated. It does not mean that I hate people who say big is beautiful even though I Hate those words. Because they don't take into account all the things that are affecting that persons life. Those factors aren't beautiful... if anything some of them are victims but there comes a point where a victim can choose to stay a victim or choose to change.

I didn't want to be like my mother. I don't want to be like my aunt. I don't want to be like my ex boyfriend and I don't want to die young. I don't want to loose my foot and rely on the government to support me. I don't want to live that life. I hate it... I would hate succumbing to the mentality that that is all right.

I've hated it since I was a little kid because I watched people around me... destroying themselves destroying each other. I've seen all the abuse and all thats ******** up and it sickens me to watch people eating a candy bar and complaining about stupid s**t like american idol and pop icons and all these pointless mundane things when every aspect about how they are living their lives is contributing to the decay of society and they don't even CARE!

Its upsetting! I don't hate my mother because she's over weight. I don't hate my aunt because she's obese. But I HATE HER ACTIONS! I hate her justification. I hate her Reasons. I hate the things she does and the way she acts and the ways she ignores her problems.

I want to cry thinking about the little girls she's adopted who have started acting the same way she does... who've started thinking that food is a reward... who... she'll die and she won't be there to take care fo them! She adopted children... and she doesn't have money to support them because she spends it on frivolous things to make everything Look all right... to make everything Seem all right.

I hate this... I just... I just... I want to change the world. I hate... all aspects of the system.

I see people make choices... and they are soo... harmful I just I can't abide it  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:07 pm
Ishtar Shakti
Taxs are a specific percent of income thus it wouldn't be based on income but how well you manage your time and resources. I've known people who spend a large percent of their income on luxury items while neglecting their children. Money which they receive to take care of their children may be funneled into other measures.

So, if a family is living fiscally responsibly on a barter system, through work exchange, or off the grid, they do not get to have children while millionaires who would pay for their child-status symbol could maintain an emotionally abusive home but meet the child's basic needs.

Ishtar Shakti
Drugs luxury items status symbols tv's and other things which don't really help the child. I mean... if showing your kid love is buying them a new pair of nike's I think I will shoot myself.
It feels like you're saying that unless all parents approach their children the way you would, they would not be fit parents.

What if a child choose to incarnate with a desire to understand status and luxury and selected parents who would show love based on those qualities.

Ishtar Shakti
If the person had a threat to their ability to afford that new pair of shoes or to buy their methadone every week then maybe they would be less inclined to go through with their pregnancy.
I do not feel that we should be able to choose to end another person's pregnancy or use threats to that which brings them comfort in order to dissuade them.

Ishtar Shakti
I had this discussion with someone else... They brought up the point that no matter what children are a large drain on a persons income. But if the burden was placed on the state to provide for the basic needs at a large drain to excess expences to provide for the basic foundation for which a child needs to live. Then the parents income would be going directly back into their progeny. Which means the parents would be going into parent hood knowing that they would be sacrificing for the well being of their child.

I feel that alternatively, parents will still make choices that facilitate their reasons for being who they are- even at the detriment of the child.

Ishtar Shakti
I think your mistaking what I am saying, as it would be a Tax increase vs. a deductable it wouldn't be based off income brakets whether you could have children. It would be a simple deterent.

Children as dependents are deducted from our income tax as a means to provide further money for them to be raised with.

Ishtar Shakti
There wouldn't be a mimimum quotent as to what a person had to make to be a parent... it would pretty much be leaving them with very little money to spend on any excess items.

I feel that would then punish people who wish to provide differently for their children than you or I would. My children are likely to never have the latest computer, the coolest TV or most awesome bike on the street, but I do not feel that a parent who does provide those things should be punished.

Ishtar Shakti
I'm Socialistic... this means that I think that housing and food should also be given to people along with health care but in exchange for this I think that people shouldn't be able to spend money on leisure items such as entertainment or expensive clothing.
I myself am a Socialist. I feel that it is our duty to one another as living beings to provide a basic standard of living which includes housing, education, health care, the ability to stay warm or cool as the weather requires and a host of other things. However, I also believe that whatever people will work for above and beyond that standard of living should be theirs, and that includes luxury items, because while I do not feel that anyone should have to worry about their own survival, I also feel that hard work can and should earn you something.

Ishtar Shakti
While this will never come to pass and I am well aware of it I Still hold these opinions. Anyone can have kids as long as they know that it Will cost them those new shoes etc.
Unfortunately, I feel by building a system where people are charged for the sake of having children so that the money goes directly back into ensuring those needs, we will end up with more abuse. When people have to pay for something, they expect a certain feeling of value and can have deep resentment when their expectations of value isn't met.

I feel it is more likely that the parents will deprive their children of "extras", rather than seeing it as a sacrifice made for their benefit. I believe history tells us it is not viewed as a sacrifice if it is compulsory.

Ishtar Shakti
Responsibility is knowing that you have a burden and you will have to take care of that burden.
If a person is Not responsible... Cannot provide basic food shelter for their children then I Don't think they are fit parents. If you hug your child every night it does not put food in their stomachs. The most wonderful parent in the world... and their children die does it bring back the child? Does it take back the suffering that child went through?
Unfortunately, life is not as cut and dry as any of this. People experience hardships that are not anticipated that would place them in a group of "bad parents" through no fault of their own.

Ishtar Shakti
The only thing that can be completely assured is the physical well being of the child. Children are taken away from parents for a number of reasons... sadly its much harder to judge the mental harm that is done to a child. With implementig programs that allow parents to be parents... but give them the Means to take care of their children while taking away the ability to have leisure activites... It makes Sense to me.
I feel that the long term psychological damage is far greater than the rewards that the describe system attempts to create.

A mother has four children and has been raising them while her husband is overseas. He gets hit by a car and dies, and now she has no income. She is a loving mother, and the trauma of no longer being allowed to parent her children, to have them placed in a foster care system because she is not meeting a set amount of income will stay with those children for life.

Ishtar Shakti
If the taxs are directly funneled back into the children in such a way they pay for the state to take the fiscal burden. It would only cut into excess things. They would be working extra hours to go to the movies or buy something extra. Something not necessary. This time might be better spent with their children. In this case its a conscious choice on their parts.
Alternatively, leisure is an important part of healthy development and that by denying the child the chance to experience a fun activity, we are setting up a system that will lend itself to harming the child's sense of comfort.

Ishtar Shakti
And what pays to support these programs accept taxs?
Donations mostly. Charity. When I read your response I logged on to my local foodbank website. 92% of their benefits come from charitable donations of food, and money, twenty seven percent of that is raised by the United Way.

Ishtar Shakti
Accept not. The program is designed to provide for the poor at the expense of unnecesary items

I feel there is more expense here than this model accounts for.

Ishtar Shakti
By making it so that the person can not afford the drug will make it so that the person can not imbibe the drug
Alternatively, it will make it so that the person will commit crimes in order to obtain the drugs in question.

Ishtar Shakti
Then what would you propose

A truly socialist system that doesn't single anyone out but instead builds a community coupled with an approach to social values that doesn't degrade people for making different choices than the ones we value personally.

Ishtar Shakti
I know... thats why proper funneling of resources would be the key foundation the proposed tennents would have to rest on.

Parents would know that their money would be directly making their lives easier thus they would opt to have their taxs go directly into these programs.
I feel this isn't always the case, as they may value other programs more than the quality of their children's programs.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:08 pm
I didn't mean to hurt you... but ... there is something in those thoughts that allow this to be that hurt me... that anger me. I want to take candy bars and burn them and it seems completely ridiculous for me to contemplate it... but I know that destroying food wouldn't help because people would just find something else.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:29 pm
Wait a second, you explain to your customers day after day about alternative and healthy food and nutrition programs?

I hope they are asking you about it, because you know what? You aren't educating people, you are PISSING THEM OFF.

I get it, you it hurts you to see things like this. But the way you are thinking through it and dealing with it is naive and privileged. The last thing I want when buying my grocery is some cashier lecturing me on my food choices.

In fact, I'd probably complain to the manager if someone did that to me.  

maenad nuri
Captain

StillBored123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:16 pm
Um I have been reading what you all are saying and everything... So I wonder something... Ishtar why would you want to burn candy bars?
Everything is good in moderation, isn't it?
I mean sure its not good if you eat unhealthy things all the time, but eating it occationally isn't bad.
And this is probably as pointless as anything, but I was watching reality tv once and they went to a nutritionist and the nutritionist advised to have junk food every once in a while.

And to Nuri, I understand as to why it would piss you off. Cause honestly if I had been in the conversation from the first place it would piss me off too... But eh somethings have happened to where I'm almost forbidden to argue... Um back on track.

I wanted to say that if that is you in your signature I for one do not think you are fat. :3 Pointless to say but I wanted to say it anyways.

Sorry if that sounds like a bunch of mumbled incoherent thoughts.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:50 pm
Ishtar Shakti
I didn't mean to hurt you... but ... there is something in those thoughts that allow this to be that hurt me... that anger me.
For one, stop making it about out. People get to chose what to do with their own lives. If you don't like it, be away from those people. It's that simple.

Quote:
I want to take candy bars and burn them and it seems completely ridiculous for me to contemplate it... but I know that destroying food wouldn't help because people would just find something else.
It is completely ridiculous because none of this s**t is your choice to make.

maenad nuri
I hope they are asking you about it, because you know what? You aren't educating people, you are PISSING THEM OFF.

I get it, you it hurts you to see things like this. But the way you are thinking through it and dealing with it is naive and privileged. The last thing I want when buying my grocery is some cashier lecturing me on my food choices.
This. I would make that cashier's day hell for getting into my business.

Because she doesn't know what the ******** I've been through.

The fact is I used to be an entirely healthy eater. I got so mad at being fat because of the way I was fed I eventually started to count every last damn calorie into obsessiveness. Everything I ate tasted like sand paper, not because it had no flavour but because I ate nothing for taste. Taste did not matter. So I ignored the way anything tasted. That made me miserable, so I started binging, which eventually led to me becoming what, in my opinion, is the scariest form of bulimic out there: the exercise bulimic. Because not only do people not notice that you have a problem, they congratulate you for the problem. I got told about how nice it was that I was doing something and being proactive about losing weight and that just pushed me harder until I was walking 10 km a day and doing 1000 sit ups and crunches a night. And the whole way through I was applauded for it, and the only reason why I'm not still that is because of friends who didn't ******** care how I looked.

So now, ******** it. I eat what I like and I exercise when I like, and I don't give a ******** because I've spent to much time being frustrated and crying and wanting to die over food.

So yeah, someone who thinks that she needs to save me with useless shitty advise that basically amounts to "eat better and buck up fatty", that pisses me off. Because it's an ignorant, pissant, privileged thing to say.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:52 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn

So now, ******** it. I eat what I like and I exercise when I like, and I don't give a ******** because I've spent to much time being frustrated and crying and wanting to die over food.

So yeah, someone who thinks that she needs to save me with useless shitty advise that basically amounts to "eat better and buck up fatty", that pisses me off. Because it's an ignorant, pissant, privileged thing to say.
Wow. Celeblin, I'd like to applaud your courage to lay your history on the table like that.

As to the greater point, no matter how much we think we know is good for others, we can't really know. Further, guilt and punishments don't build people up, they tend to tear them down.

If you, Ishtar, or anyone else, wishes to make people better, the starting point is to understand what they want, and let them tell you what they need. If you want to make them better people, you'll have to work with them, not at them.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:09 pm
StillBored123

I wanted to say that if that is you in your signature I for one do not think you are fat. :3 Pointless to say but I wanted to say it anyways.

I'll take it as a compliment as it was meant. I'm not fat, but that doesn't mean I tolerate sizism (towards either the skinnies or the fatties!).
Quote:

Sorry if that sounds like a bunch of mumbled incoherent thoughts.

You did fine.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:12 pm
Nuri has curves. Meow.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:25 pm
maenad nuri
I'll take it as a compliment as it was meant. I'm not fat, but that doesn't mean I tolerate sizism (towards either the skinnies or the fatties!).

I completely understand that. Being a highschool student, I think I hear a little too much sizism. -shakes head sadly-

Quote:
You did fine.

Thank you.  

StillBored123

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:31 pm
Gho the Girl
Nuri has curves. Meow.

And damn happy for them. Dance has my curves being rearranged lately, in a most pleasing manner.

Stillbored: The best thing you can do is speak up when you hear it, even a little of the time. Say that it just isn't cool.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:34 pm
maenad nuri

Stillbored: The best thing you can do is speak up when you hear it, even a little of the time. Say that it just isn't cool.

-Nods- I deffinately will try.  

StillBored123

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:47 pm
Quote:
Wait a second, you explain to your customers day after day about alternative and healthy food and nutrition programs?

I've been complimented and thanked for telling people about products which they tried and appreciated.

I specifically mention nutrition facts. I don't mention nutrition programs. I also try to spear head whatever conversation I try to have based off the interests and concerns of the customer. Depending on what factors are affecting their day I'll use different techniques that I learned to try to give them supportive advice and try to cheer them up as psychological well being to me is on the same level of physical well being.

I do not try to engage persons who are actively disinterested in conversing with me. I am obligated through my possition to talk to all customers to ask about their general well being and to give them advice as to what to try and products that we sell. I am also obligated to ask them for donations as to whatever cause our company is currently supporting. This last part irritates me because some of my boses have suggested I use pressure tactics. Pretty much asking the person over and over again and actively trying to get them to donate. It is their choise so I don't pressure them. But informing them seems like a helpful alternative.

So disseminating information which is relevent to what they are currently eating such as the small label on their bread saying that it is enriched vs. 100% whole wheat. Things like that people miss on a regular basis. While some people know and still enjoy the bread I've only had one complaint.

My coworkers joke and say I'd be perfect for an info mercial. Did You Know????? Did you know that if you bought a second sandwhich it would only cost you x amount of money. The sandwhich will still be good tomorow you don't have to eat it all at once. Did you know that there is currently a sale going on concerning x fruit which is high in x nutrition and is tasty if you cook it in x way. Did you know that fish are high in omega3 faty acids and are highly nutritious? Fish are actually how native alaskans survive in an environment with very little plant life?
Did you know that squid are actually one of the most nutrious animals you could eat?
Did you know that whale blubber is also highly nutritious. Did you know that when a whale dives the fat thats in his head which is of a different make up then the fat through out the rest of his body freezes so he weighs more and can dive faster and catch his pray.

Faty acids are highly important for cold environments because transfatty acids and saturated fatty acids vrs unsaturated polyfatty acids ... well trans fats will actually freeze faster causing you to move slower in colder temperatures. One of the ways you can tell un healthy fats from healthy fats is the temperature at which it solidifies. If its solid at room temperature that means you will also be solid and unmoving at room temperature.

You know just random facts that I find useful interesting.

I recieved one complaint about the bread... I think one out of I don't know how many and the topics very alot from day to day. I try to keep it relevant as to the individuals purchases. I just find the bit about the whales good to talk about in winter. It really depends on the customer and I really have nothing better to do with my time then to ask people questions about their day and how they are feeling and reassure them that their lives are important and try to help them with whatever issues I can.

Its how I live my life. If anyone has a problem I try to find a way to fix it. I try to find a way to address it and I ask people questions... lots and lots of questions. I ask people opinions and all sorts of things. Its been really quite interesting. Of course I'm a fan of multitasking... so it gives me something to do while I'm working. I have had a total of 3-4 complaints in 4 years.

One about bread. One because tried to count these cookies. One because I talked to much even though it wasn't affecting my ability to bag groceries and I was actively dealing with a misapprehension on the customers part as to what they thought they bought and how much it cost and they were having problems. 2 dollars is a big deal when you only make 7$ an hour. And one because a customer thought I cought an attitude with them because I was sincerely asking about their day etc. and they assumed I was being sarcastic.

The penchant for people not to take me seriously when I am being cheerful is amazing. I don't know why but people cast things in such a negative Light!

Its amazing... and soo many people are defeatest. Do you know how many... it Wouldn't matter if I told you anyways I get in a day. I mean why wouldn't it matter something exist so it matters!
Most people in anycase seem appreciative of the possitivity and the proactive stance I take and the fact that I am helpful and I get a ton of thank you's and OMG i didn't even see that and Wow that really was a good idea the next time I see the customers who I've helped.

So if you would take your negativity and shove it to the side and take into account that not all people think like you I would be grateful. I understand full and well that alot of people are not going to change their possitions on alot of subjects.

Its on an institutional level that these problems exist and society as a whole needs to address them because trying to do it on a case by case level without the proper consciousness raising and proper attitude and atmosphere isn't going to do much. I Am Trying though and this allows me to go through another day and say it will be Ok I can wait I can be useless for a little while longer till I find the right method avenue and motivation for change.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:52 pm
Gho the Girl
Celeblin Galadeneryn

Wow. Celeblin, I'd like to applaud your courage to lay your history on the table like that.

As to the greater point, no matter how much we think we know is good for others, we can't really know. Further, guilt and punishments don't build people up, they tend to tear them down.

If you, Ishtar, or anyone else, wishes to make people better, the starting point is to understand what they want, and let them tell you what they need. If you want to make them better people, you'll have to work with them, not at them.
Thank you.

This is the main problem with the bullshit that is going on in this thread. I don't give a ******** about what other people want me to be. Yeah, I may have put 50 pounds back on after my body collapsed from all the stress I was putting it through, but here, at fifty pounds heavier, I don't fantasize about killing myself everytime I walk through the kitchen and glance at the knife rack anymore.

The s**t she's spewing is a loaded ******** gun, and I know that because I loaded it and fired it at myself repeatedly for four ******** years.

So it's not cute. It's not helpful, and when she dares to get offended and say we're censoring her for her sizism, I'm going to ******** go off on it every time.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:55 pm
Quote:
Um I have been reading what you all are saying and everything... So I wonder something... Ishtar why would you want to burn candy bars?

... Its a matter of symbolism. I know that people can eat candy bars in moderation. I even Like candy bars in moderation.
But when I think about peoples actions and things... people hiding candybars comes to mind and I know its a misattribution to want to destroy the candybars and the grocery stores and the fast food restaurants. I know this will not change how people eat or how they deal with situations... its something that I can latch onto and use as a symbol for a bigger issue.

Quote:
Everything is good in moderation, isn't it?
I mean sure its not good if you eat unhealthy things all the time, but eating it occationally isn't bad.

Agreed

Quote:
And this is probably as pointless as anything, but I was watching reality tv once and they went to a nutritionist and the nutritionist advised to have junk food every once in a while.

I would agree... I have a treat a day. Or something that I really enjoy eating. A desert type food at the end of the day. It used to drive my mom crazy when I was a kid because my holloween candy would last me way past christmas and she'd find it in my room over summer and eat all of it. Kind of sad when I think about it. I had to hide food from the rest of my family so I could enjoy it.
Some junk food is fine. Remember I'm talking about mentality and Obesity and Waste

Ironically I can't really talk about waste so much when I talk about nutrition because for the most part its the bodies penchant for not wasting anything that ends up causing soo much of the problems. Though part of it is too much of a good thing. Fat reserves are a wonderful thing to have! They are reserves of energy in case the body truly needs it. If ever you do strenous activity your fat reserves are what give you the energy to continue to perform tasks. It would be pretty unhealthy Not to have them... but what is unhealthy is the mentality of people concerning food and other behaviors in general. My original post was about alot of problems that exist but it seems mentioning sloth and certain psychological factors that exist in tandem with Obesity seem to have cought peoples attention. I really didn't think that it would have the affect that it did and for the most part I was ranting because I'm really tired of having stupid conversations with people... or listening to people have stupid conversations about things which are pretty meaningless just so they can think that their opinion has substance.

Tired of people not talking about actual subjects because they are afraid that it will have a negative reaction. I was more pissed about the Uranium and the fact that we are ammassing highly toxic substances or creating dump sites in 3rd world countries then I was about peoples weight but thats all that people seem to have picked out of my first diatribe. I think I'll go back and reread what I originally wrote to figure out how the ******** that happened. Like yes lets ignore half of what you said and just focus on the part that pisses us off and upsets us.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 211 212 213 214 215 216 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games