Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
Chatterbox Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 209 210 211 212 213 214 ... 762 763 764 765 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What army do you have?
Space Marines
19%
 19%  [ 45 ]
Eldar
4%
 4%  [ 10 ]
Dark Eldar
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Chaos Space Marines
10%
 10%  [ 25 ]
Tau
9%
 9%  [ 22 ]
Imperial Guard
6%
 6%  [ 15 ]
Necrons
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
Deamon Hunters
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
Witch Hunters
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Tyranids
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
Orks
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
More than one.
30%
 30%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 231

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:30 am
I know, let's ask Mat, he's still stuck in the army so he might be able to answer that.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:07 pm
Serebrate
Caleidah
Serebrate
Commissar Hark
I'm so glad that the US military has great job security. As long as you don't ******** yourself up on drugs or die in combat, you still get paid craploads, and they pay your rent. If only they did that for me now.

I think someone has misconceptions about the military.

Methinks he was IN the military and has thus made that statement.

I don't think a serviceman can go into the armed forces and come out saying that the pay is great and it's a great job.
Sounds like you've got some preconceptions of your own. wink Hark and I are both in the Navy Delayed Entry Program, which means we've both done a great deal of research into the subject. If you terribly want, I can give you a debate about it.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Elegant Egotism

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:45 pm
You can, but the problem is still that someone in the military will be making a fraction of what they could get in the private sector. You also need to give years away and cannot simply quit whenever you want. It's also worth considering what you want to do after you get out - if you want to that is.

If you want to be a career serviceman, then go ahead and do it. Just make sure you're an officer so you at least receive some fair compensation for your time and work.

But if you're on the navy, things aren't typically that bad. The work isn't life threatening (I heard you're going to be in intelligence ), just a bit monotonous.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:29 pm
Serebrate
You can, but the problem is still that someone in the military will be making a fraction of what they could get in the private sector. You also need to give years away and cannot simply quit whenever you want. It's also worth considering what you want to do after you get out - if you want to that is.

If you want to be a career serviceman, then go ahead and do it. Just make sure you're an officer so you at least receive some fair compensation for your time and work.

But if you're on the navy, things aren't typically that bad. The work isn't life threatening (I heard you're going to be in intelligence ), just a bit monotonous.

Okay, first point. Yes, they make a fraction what they could in the private sector. However, since the military subsidizes (a) the training for that knowledge (b) the housing expenses (c) the cost-of-living expenses (d) most travel expenses (e) a number of credits of college, almost all that members in the military make can go straight to what they want to spend it on, instead of all the little things that take chunks out of regular paychecks. Just the housing expenses alone being paid for can save the average person upwards of $8,000 a year.

Second point; it's largely -because- of military experience that they can make so much in the private sector afterwards. Clearances, experience, work ethic, all of these are very attractive to employers, -especially- clearance. Often, if an employer needs someone with clearance to do a job, they'd rather hire someone with the clearance and train them to do it than hire someone good at the job and get them the clearance.

Third point; there are jobs you can get with a requirement of as little as 2 years of active duty, and as safe as a computer techy. If you don't count inactive reserve, which extends beyond the years of someone's contract (usually a minimum of 8 years is required; first active, then inactive reserve, which is only drawn upon to avoid a draft; very rare), you're only "giving away" a very short amount of time. Consider the years as an investment, not as being given away. Better for your long-term career in anything than most other ways to spend that time; again, employers very much like the skill and work ethic implied in military service.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Commissar Hark

Dangerous Smoker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:50 pm
*Claps* well spoken, DE.

I'd like to point out that not only will I be paid more in the Navy than I am paid now, but my Navy job will be worlds more exciting than my current vocation: Line cook. Possibly even less stressful, too.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:46 pm
If you go into the military it's not because you want a resume builder, pay, and typically not a long term career since the retention rate is so low. Comparing the private sector to the military is a bit like comparing apples to oranges since the private sector offers so many more freedom than the military does. While you claim the military subsidizes your training, housing expenses, cost of living expenses, and so forth - you're correct. But it's because they have to. If you had to pay to be in the military, the recruiting rate would likely be a fraction of what it is now. Keep in mind the private sector will also do this, such as paying to fly you for that business meeting in Hong Kong, buying you that four-star Hotel room for the night, et cetera. While in the military 8,000 dollars might seem a lot - to many this is just a bonus.

As for the second point, military experience doesn't always affect who gets the job. If anything, you are 2-6 years older than the competition and that's before completing your degree. It looks spiffy on your resume for some jobs, not all employers look at it as such and being a sonar operator in the military won't really qualify you for anything other than a sonar operator in private sector.

I would like to see the two year thing. I was once considering joining the Army as a combat medic and began researching the opportunities. The scenario isn't likely going to happen, as the military typically invests 250,000-500,000 dollars worth of training into you and isn't likely to let you loose so soon. Also consider the dropping rates of people in the military, meaning that people are being forced to stay longer.

Here, I'll sum up my main point in this paragraph. I'm not bashing the military in any way. I think it's a honorable field of service to put your life on the line for a set of beliefs. However if you're doing it for personal profit or other similar reasons then you are a) Doing it wrong and b) Not going to get much out of it. The whole reason that I stated this was because Hark said that you get paid craploads, which is incorrect.

Elegant Egotism

Glorious Leader Luna

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:53 pm
I would like to point out that (in the UK) if i was to get a job as a traffic wandern

i would be paid far more than the guys and gals in Iraq getting shoot at

thus why the UK Army is 5000 manpower underpower  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:04 pm
Texinadawolf
I would like to point out that (in the UK) if i was to get a job as a traffic wandern

i would be paid far more than the guys and gals in Iraq getting shoot at

thus why the UK Army is 5000 manpower underpower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV4PbzCPWHY  

Elegant Egotism

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:31 am

On the off chance that somebody might actually want to read it, I just got done writing a short play.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:45 am
Caleidah

On the off chance that somebody might actually want to read it, I just got done writing a short play.
Go on, don't leave us hanging here in suspense. surprised  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:58 pm

This is Your Stop
By: Paul (Last Name Omitted)

Characters:

Peter: A person in their late teens to early twenties. He is the bellhop and controls what floors the people are going to. He is generally good spirited, often to the point of obnoxious behavior or snarkiness. He is wearing a traditional bell-hop’s uniform.

Michael: Main character. He’s in his mid twenties to early thirties. His clothes should be casual, but they need to be torn to show that he was hit by a car and flung. No blood or cuts should be on his person. He is nervous and a bit twitchy throughout, constantly questioning what is happening.

Father Aaron: Second character to enter the elevator, just a few moments before Kenny. He is arrogant and pompous, embodying the rough stereotypes of Catholic bishops. He is an old man, or old enough that it would be believable that he died of a heart attack. Is has a very roundabout personality, answering questions with questions or by passing them off entirely.

“Quickblade” Kenny: Third character onto the elevator, following the preacher by just a few moments. He is a serial killer and there should be blood covering his hands and spattered onto his clothing. He is coarse and a bit vulgar, but very straightforward. He should look grizzled and unkempt.

Sarah: First/Only female character. She is fairly quiet and seems very timid. She provides the only "pure" perspectine to Michael, though she uses him as a shield against Kenny (who killed her in the first place).

The elevator itself is old looking. Solid wood panels, polished and brought up to a high shine. The floor is carpeted and any metal surfaces are gilded.

Scene opens.

The view is in through the side of an elevator. The rear wall is to stage left, and the doors are at stage right. PETER is standing at stage right next to the elevator doors. He is rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet, whistling quietly to himself. The tune is “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot” or a similar spiritual song.

Elevator doors open. MICHAEL walks in slowly, looking horribly confused. PETER gives him a sincere smile and nod before MICHAEL steps fully back into the elevator.

MICHAEL
Where am I? How…how did I get on this elevator? I was just on the street a second ago.
He walks back toward the doors and they come closed.

PETER
Well, you’re not on the street any more.
He laughs and MICHAEL gives him a harsh glare.

PETER
Alright, alright, alright. You probably want some explanation on all of this.

MICHAEL
You’re damned right I want an explanation! Wh-
PETER holds up his hand to silence him.

PETER
Let me save you a lot of time, for the sake of your voice and my sanity. Why don’t you try to find your pulse quick?
MICHAEL gives him a strange glare and reaches up to his neck. He touches his fingers to his neck and after a moment, moves them. Then moves them again. He then touches his wrists and drops his arms, breathing heavily and nervously as he looks back to PETER.

PETER
Can’t find one, can you?

MICHAEL
N…no, I can’t. Does that mean…
PETER nods slowly and circles his hand in the “keep going” gesture.

MICHAEL
I’m dead.

PETER
Bingo! And thus have you have figured out why you are no longer on the street.
MICHAEL slumps down to the floor against the wall, his legs splayed out in front of him.

MICHAEL
I’m dead.

PETER
Yup

MICHAEL
I’m dead.

PETER
Yes, I believe that we’ve covered this.
MICHAEL opens his mouth to speak again but closes it as PETER gives him a stern look.

MICHAEL
Alright, so now I’m dead.

PETER
As we’ve discussed in depth.

MICHAEL stands up and sighs heavily.
MICHAEL
Yeah, yeah. Well, does that mean that you’re dead too?

PETER
I am, but at the same time, I’m not.

MICHAEL
So you’re some kind of ghost?

PETER
You could say that.

MICHAEL
Well, what would you say?

PETER
Nothing. I really can’t say. You’ve got to figure it out for yourself.
MICHAEL sighs and looks down at himself. He studies his clothes, seeing the rips and tears.

MICHAEL
Can you at least tell me how I died?

PETER
I suppose I could.
PETER laughs and MICHAEL gives him an exasperated look.

PETER
You got hit by a car. Hard. Which…I suppose is obvious, given where you’re standing.
PETER laughs again and MICHAEL groans.

MICHAEL
What, is everything a joke to you?

PETER
Yeah. My job allows for a lot of time spent on being bored out of my skull. I like to have a little fun where I can.

MICHAEL
Sighs again, shaking his head.
Okay, then. Can you tell me anything else about it?

PETER
Pulls out a note pad and flips through it for a moment.
The car was a stolen 2003 Civic. It was driving approximately 63 miles per hour when it struck your body, and you were flung an impressive ninety feet!
PETER smiles widely and MICHAEL looks like he is going to be sick.
The driver was a man by the name of Kenneth Long, otherwise known as Quickblade Kenny.

MICHAEL
The serial killer?
He crosses his arms over his chest.

PETER
Yup. And…after hitting you, he crashed into a telephone pole. Paramedics are working on him right now.

MICHAEL
Good. He got what he deserved.

PETER
And you might too.

MICHAEL
Freezes
What do you mean?

PETER
You’re still being judged. You might yet end up in Heaven or Hell.

MICHAEL
I…You mean I…might go to Hell?

PETER
Yup
He flips through the notepad a bit more.
Let’s see…you’ve never murdered or raped anyone, so that’s a good bonus. But…You’ve broken the commandments countless times. You’ve taken the Lord’s name in vain on a daily basis, disrespected the Sabbath, worshipped false idols…

MICHAEL
Quickly gets angry.
I’ve never done that!

PETER
Oh, because you didn’t turn money into your personal god.
MICHAEL crosses his arms and backs away.
Right then.
Peter flips through his list a bit more and then closes it.
It’s a tough case. But…the Elevator always seems to get it right.

He pulls a lever and then steps back as the doors open. A bit of fog rolls in through the door and FATHER AARON enters. He looks around, a bit confused, but seems to quickly understand what is happening.

FATHER AARON
Nods to the men and takes his place against the wall.
Either this is a dream, or I’ve died. I hope that it’s the prior.

PETER
Laughs loudly.
Couldn’t be more wrong, Padre! You’re dead as a doornail.
PETER flips through his note pad again for a moment.
Heart attack. Should’ve laid off the butter a little, Father.

FATHER AARON
Ah, indeed I should have. How long before I am able to meet my maker?

PETER
Looks into his notebook again and grins.
Soon enough, Padre. Soon enough.

The doors remain open and KENNY walks through. His shirt is cut open down the center and his clothes are torn. He looks generally disheveled and is laughing. He looks around for a moment and then moves to the spot near FATHER AARON. FATHER AARON quickly moves and glares at KENNY.

KENNY
So how long?

MICHAEL
Until what?

KENNY
Until I get to go to Hell.

FATHER AARON
You should not be wishing for something such as that! Why not take this time to make peace with God and pray for his forgiveness?
PETER and KENNY burst out laughing at the same time.

KENNY
Listen, I know that I’m going to hell. The blood of a dozen people is on my hands. Sorry.
He points at MICHAEL.
A dozen and one.

MICHAEL
You did this to me?
He quickly becomes angry and gets into KENNY’S face.
What right do you have to it, huh? Why the hell did you run me over?
FATHER AARON pulls MICHAEL back with a bit of struggle.

KENNY
Well, the same right that any motorist has over anybody that steps into the road.
KENNY laughs loudly and FATHER AARON looks displeased.

FATHER AARON
Child, you should be repenting. You should plead with the Lord for your safety.

KENNY
Stares directly at AARON before laughing and leaning back against the wall.
Listen. I’m not your ‘child,’ and there’s nothing that I can do to be saved.

MICHAEL
AARON is about to speak and MICHAEL pulls his attention off.
Father…maybe you could help. This…this thing…
He gestures to the elevator around them.
It’s judging me, and…I…I want to go to Heaven. Can you help me?

FATHER AARON
It is my duty to help you, child. You need only search within yourself and plead with all you are for forgiveness. If you do that and truly believe that Christ is your savior, then all should be well for you.

KENNY
Looks at PETER and both smirk before KENNY stands up again.
Oh? What about you then, Father? Does God forgive men that put their hands on little children?

MICHAEL quickly moves away from AARON and AARON looks shocked.

FATHER AARON
Whatever do you mean? I have never done such a thing.

KENNY
Raises his hand and points to himself.
What about me, huh? Kenneth Long, altar boy.

FATHER AARON
FATHER AARON shakes his head and looks confused.
I have never done such a thing. I would never, either! How dare you accuse me of it!

AARON and KENNY begin to shout and MICHAEL backs away toward the door. Behind him, the door opens. SARAH enters and, upon seeing KENNY, tries to exit again. An unseen force pushes her back in and into MICHAEL.

PETER
Welcome to the party! Everyone, this is…
PETER flips through his notepad for a moment.
Sarah Alder. She was Kenny’s last formal victim, though he didn’t do a very good job of killing her.

SARAH
Stands behind MICHAEL, using him as a shield against KENNY.

KENNY
Damn shame, too. I had you pegged for about a week as a target.
He laughs and ALL look disgusted except for PETER, who only laughs quietly to himself.

FATHER AARON
Gets into KENNY’s face, glaring at KENNY hard.
You…you monster! You don’t deserve to get into Heaven! The fires of Hell will have a good chunk of fuel when your black soul is thrown into them!

SARAH
Shivers and steps away from MICHAEL.
N…No, he should be forgiven. We…none of us are perfect, he’s just…less perfect than most.
She sighs and crosses her arms, rubbing them nervously.
After all, isn’t that what it says in the Bible?

MICHAEL
Looks confused yet again.
He…He killed you, and you’re willing to forgive him so easily?
Michael shakes his head and steps away from her.

KENNY
Takes on a sarcastic tone of voice.
Aww, you want to forgive me? How sweet. So noble of you, Sarah.

FATHER AARON
In a near fit of rage.
No! You don’t deserve forgiveness of any kind! I don’t want you into Heaven! I don’t want to share eternity with you!

PETER
Steps away from the door slightly.
Actually, all of you, it looks like we’ve got our first stop. Let’s see who’s getting off.

ALL go silent and look toward PETER. PETER opens his notebook as the doors open. White fog and a bright light come through the doors.

PETER
Sarah, looks like this is your stop. Go on through.

SARAH
Her face lights up and she nods, taking a step before MICHAEL grabs her arm.

MICHAEL
Wait…How was it you were able to forgive him so easily?

SARAH
Turns and faces MICHAEL
I just…Found it in my heart.
SARAH smiles and slowly pulls away, going through the doors.

The doors close again, leaving the group in the elevator.

KENNY
Laughs at FATHER AARON.
Looks like you don’t have a heart, Father.

FATHER AARON
Raises his hands and clenches his fists as though about to strike KENNY before lowering them again.
I do have a heart. And I love the Lord with every bit of it. But I know that he does not love you.

MICHAEL
Stop it, both of you!
KENNY and FATHER AARON stop, looking a bit shocked at the intrusion.
I don’t give a damn what the two of you are thinking, but I don’t want to hear it any more!
PETER laughs as they immediately go back to arguing.

PETER
Michael, just give it a rest. Maybe now would be a good time for you to do some soul searching.

MICHAEL
Slumps against the wall and sits down, listening to AARON and KENNY yell almost incoherently.

PETER
Whistles loudly and moves to break them apart after a moment.
Hey, the elevator is stopping again.

The doors open and heavy fog rolls through, along with a bright red light.

KENNY
Ah, at last, we’re at hell! Home sweet home for eternity!
KENNY laughs loudly and walks off of the elevator, though the doors remain open.

FATHER AARON
Come on then, bellhop! Let’s be away from this wretched place.

PETER
Laughs and flips through his notebook.
Not quite yet, Padre. This is your stop.

FATHER AARON
He backs against the far wall of the elevator, looking terrified. MICHAEL looks shocked.
No! It cannot be! I am a man of God, I have lived only to spread his word!

PETER
Flips through the notebook for a moment.
No. You lived to take advantage of children. You lived to steal money from the offering.

FATHER AARON
I never did such things!
He shivers, clawing at the back wall.

PETER
Oh, but you did! You can’t deny it any longer either. This. Is. Your. Stop.
A robed and hooded figure comes into the elevator and takes FATHER AARON by the hand. He continues to resist and is slowly dragged out of the elevator. The doors close and PETER laughs.

PETER
Chuckles quietly, shaking his head.
Hypocrite. He deserved Hell just as much, if not more, than Kenny.

MICHAEL
Stands away from the wall, hands on his hips.
So…What does this mean for me?

PETER
I’m not sure.
He flips through his notebook again and then puts it down with a sigh.
The Elevator has never taken this long before.

MICHAEL
Is that a good or bad thing?

PETER
Honestly…I don’t know. Like I said, this has never happened before.

MICHAEL
I…I don’t know that I really deserve Heaven. There are so many people I was never able to forgive. And…

PETER
Holds up his hand as the door chimes again. The doors open, revealing white fog and bright white light.

Looks like this is your stop.

CURTAIN

Well, that's about it. Most of it was written in about 45 minutes. Heh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:19 pm
crying

Nice!

blaugh  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:16 am

All of it but for the ending. It got a little rushed and I honestly can't think of a better way to end it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:44 am
Serebrate
If you go into the military it's not because you want a resume builder, pay, and typically not a long term career since the retention rate is so low. Comparing the private sector to the military is a bit like comparing apples to oranges since the private sector offers so many more freedom than the military does. While you claim the military subsidizes your training, housing expenses, cost of living expenses, and so forth - you're correct. But it's because they have to. If you had to pay to be in the military, the recruiting rate would likely be a fraction of what it is now. Keep in mind the private sector will also do this, such as paying to fly you for that business meeting in Hong Kong, buying you that four-star Hotel room for the night, et cetera. While in the military 8,000 dollars might seem a lot - to many this is just a bonus.

As for the second point, military experience doesn't always affect who gets the job. If anything, you are 2-6 years older than the competition and that's before completing your degree. It looks spiffy on your resume for some jobs, not all employers look at it as such and being a sonar operator in the military won't really qualify you for anything other than a sonar operator in private sector.

I would like to see the two year thing. I was once considering joining the Army as a combat medic and began researching the opportunities. The scenario isn't likely going to happen, as the military typically invests 250,000-500,000 dollars worth of training into you and isn't likely to let you loose so soon. Also consider the dropping rates of people in the military, meaning that people are being forced to stay longer.

Here, I'll sum up my main point in this paragraph. I'm not bashing the military in any way. I think it's a honorable field of service to put your life on the line for a set of beliefs. However if you're doing it for personal profit or other similar reasons then you are a) Doing it wrong and b) Not going to get much out of it. The whole reason that I stated this was because Hark said that you get paid craploads, which is incorrect.

Okay, I gotta correct you, as it seems you've got the worst misconceptions about the military. You most likely have not hung out with morons as much as I have so you can't tell the difference between "loads," "pooploads," "craploads," "shitloads," and "********, I said that the military pays "craploads." This is correct. I currently pull a wage somewhere between "loads" and "pooploads." I lean more towards the "pooploads" category of those who make about $12 an hour. Sadly, I only make $10.25 an hour, and I work my a** off. but it aint' as poor as "loads," which is the Minnesota minimum wage.

Now the military pays for my college tuition, my healthcare, my rent, my food, (if I'm hungry for what's in the mess) as well as my salary. Of course they have too. That goes without saying. I'm an investment of theirs, they had better take care of me. Now toss my $9,000 bonus in there for when I complete SECF 'A' school in early 2010, and you've got what whinos, stoners, drunks, and transients call: "craploads". cool I'll make more than the average american makes in a month after he's paid for his healthcare, rent/mortgage payments, groceries, and college loan payments. See where I'm coming from? All the money I pull in is disposable income. I will be making CRAPLOADS.

Now that covers point one, now for point two. Now let's hypothetically say I decide to be a computer programmer in the Video Game industry. (more of a fantasy of mine, but why the hell not?) Say I use my paid college courses to take all my general eds while I serve in the Navy as a submariner, and after my active duty ends in 2014, for the hell of it I cash in my GI bill to attend school at Full Sail game design. I have yet to spend a dime on college tuition.

Now me and joe sixpack apply at EA games for the same position. We both graduated from Full Sail school with the exact same grades, but I've got five years of Navy SECF(submarine electronics/computers field. Or as you so profoundly put it, sonar operator) experience behind me. I've got the job over joe sixpack because I've been using my computer skills on multi-million dollar computer systems with the AEGIS system for years, while he's been playing DnD and smoking ganja in his dorm room. I've got the proven work ethic that employers look for, as I know the value of hard work more than most people do. Hell, I get yelled at for two months at Great Mistakes so that they're absolutely sure of it.

Now, let's consider exactly why 'I' Joined the military.

First things first, they pay. I don't work for free, even now. I. Get. Paid. Cash. Money. They subsidize my every need, yes. If I so chose, I could go through my service and not spend a dime, as every single thing I need in order to live is paid for in full. That's a good reason. I'm not doing anything wrong here, and I'm most deffinately going to get alot out of it.

Second? Experience. I get placed into an exiting job that is both challenging and rewarding. I picked it myself, nobody pressured me into it. I was lucky that there was a seat available for me to get into SECF, and I'm still keeping my options open for a different rate. If I smell a job that's more "me," I'm taking it. I got 'till the end of march to make up my mind. And when I'm in, serving out my active duty, I travel all over the world. I'll have so many amazing stories to tell... My brother has been enlisted for a year and a half now and he's so far seen California, Australia, Japan, and soon he'll be in the Philippines, if he isn't there already. (which reminds me, I need to send him an Email...)

Lastly, I'm compelled to serve my country in the military because of my family tradition.

It started with my Grandfathers, John O'malley, and Donald Kimble. Grampa Don loved Minnesota, but he was young and wild, so he decided to travel the world. He traveled to the west coast and then kept going. He got on a boat to Hawaii, where he got a job as an Ambulance driver. This was the fall of 1941. he kept his job up until the beginning of December when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on the seventh. He spent that whole day ferrying dead and wounded sailors to hospitals all around the island of Oahu. The next day he marched right down to the Army Air Corps barracks and enlisted in the US Army Air corps. He stayed on for four years flying fighter aircraft like the P-38 Lightning over Europe.

My grandfather John O'malley was much younger. He was only seventeen when the war ended in 1945. But when he turned twenty he joined the US Navy and served as a boiler mechanic aboard the battleship USS IOWA, which if I understand correctly still sails today. He served seven years of active duty and four years in reserve. When He was all finished, he was a Lieutenant, Junior Grade. He died just last may.

My Uncle, Tony O'malley, also served in the US Navy. He served for four years on a destroyer in the south china sea during Vietnam. He walked away as a fully certified electrician. He used his Montgommery GI bill to attend law school. today he's a successful attorney and still works part time as a journeyman electrician.

My father, Jay Kimble, was a Green Beret in the US Army. He was drafted into service for Vietnam. After the war he became a sheriff's deputy for Washington County, Eventually becoming a Detective, thenm the Sheriff, and later the Mayor of my hometown. When I told him I was considering enlistment, he pulled me aside and in a low voice he made me promise him I would not join the Army or Marines. He told me he was very proud of me and supported my decision (although he wishes I'd pick a safer rate than that of a submariner).

Lastly, my brother, Thure(say turr-ee), is an Aviation Technician in the US Navy. He works on F/A-16 Super-hornet jet engines. He is having the time of his life. He came back to town on leave and told me how awesome it is, and I was sold.

Blam, there you have it. I get the feeling that you've been force-fed a stereotyped idea of the american military. I'm not some dumbass kid who's joining the army because I've got nothing better to after high school than drink beer, drive a pickup and reproduce with a dumb blonde, I'm a motivated American with a plan for the future, a can-do attitude and the willingness to serve my country and make my family proud. While a sad amount of our enlisted servicemen DO fit this profile, I assure you, the majority of us do not. I do hope I've changed your Idea of what military service does for you.  

Commissar Hark

Dangerous Smoker

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:02 am
New buttons and a slight visual change in the guilds, is Gaia up to something again? ninja  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 209 210 211 212 213 214 ... 762 763 764 765 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games