Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Doctor Who/Torchwood Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Favourite Doctor?
  Patrick Troughton
  John Pertwee
  Tom Baker
  Peter Davidson
  Colin Baker
  Sylvester Mcoy
  Christopher Eccleston
  David Tennant
View Results

Smigg-the-Miserable

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:02 pm
You know something? I would really like the next companion to not fall in love with him. They managed it alright on the whole with Rose, and they're not doing too bad a job with Martha, but if they try it with a third companion I think it's really going to grate.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:27 pm
It's grating with Martha.

Mostly because they keep kicking her in the teeth and mentioning Rose every other episode.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Martha Jones. PETMJ.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Smigg-the-Miserable

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:40 pm
Oh gods, they're everywhere!

But by Grabthar's hammer, that episode was absolutely fantastic! I can't remember the last time Doctor Who creeped me out quite that much! Possibly not since The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. I always think a good benchmark for how scary a monster is is whether or not you can see yourself having nightmares about them. I can really see myself having nightmares about those angels (I probably won't, but I'll trust that you get what I mean).  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:48 pm
And those statue mimes around Covent Garden are going to freak me out forever ...
(Did he move? Did I blink?)

Damn fine episode. The last three have been top drawer.  

[Finrod]

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:23 pm
It was really good, but these episodes shot from the point of view of the people involved always irk me slightly. I feel like I invested so much time in the characters (and Sally Sparrow was awesome) and I didn't get much out of it aside from some creepy monsters and pseudo-providential time travel pseudo-philosophy lifted straight from the pages of popular culture. Nothing that pays into the overall plot arc.

Good, though.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:15 pm
Damn, I'm going to have to get that one off TV links.

I just wanted to pop in to say how much I loved family of blood. It was a welcome change after 42 which I didn't really like... lot's of long dresses and pinnies and bonnets. The main alien, the young boy, totally hammed up his part -but in a good way, doing it for the baddies!
"Mother of mine"  

ficklefiend
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:33 am
I thought Family of Blood was especially good too, probably my favourite next to The Satan Pit.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:11 pm
Family of Blood was good. Once I got what was going on.

This one was scarey. I kept finding myself holding my eyes open for much too long. I'm sure I've seen some statues like that too.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Creatio ex Nihilo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:14 pm
I don't watch it often but I like David Tennant. He plays the part like it's part of his everyday life. And I like his constantly raised eyebrow too. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:41 pm
Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god I can hardly type right now!

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit excitable right now. For the most part the episode wasn't really anything outstanding, with a lot of stuff not seeming to get developed (this may be explored further next week though, since they're still stuck in the same place), but the end was just awesome! I mean, it was kind of taken as read that John Simm (did I spell that right?) would be The Master, but I wasn't expecting his return to be quite like that!  

Smigg-the-Miserable

Nuala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:54 pm
Foetus In Fetu
It's grating with Martha.

Mostly because they keep kicking her in the teeth and mentioning Rose every other episode.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Martha Jones. PETMJ.

It was understandable that it'd happen this week, with Jack showing up again - but I'm still sick of Mary-Sue flippin' Tyler being pined over in all but about two episodes.

Hopefully, once Moffat takes over from RTD, e'll get some moderation. No other companion got this degree of beatifying, and I don't want to still be hearing her name in five years.

It's not just Martha I feel sorry for - it's Freema Agyeman, as well. It's hard to make a role your own when even the script keeps dragging up the name of your predecessor.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:49 am
Am I the only one who didn't know Jack couldn't die?

And it WAS John Simms playing the regenerated Master right?

dhoffryn

Gary X

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:50 am
dhoffryn
Am I the only one who didn't know Jack couldn't die?

And it WAS John Simms playing the regenerated Master right?

Yes and yes.

xd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:35 pm
Nuala
It was understandable that it'd happen this week, with Jack showing up again - but I'm still sick of Mary-Sue flippin' Tyler being pined over in all but about two episodes.

Hopefully, once Moffat takes over from RTD, e'll get some moderation. No other companion got this degree of beatifying, and I don't want to still be hearing her name in five years.

It's not just Martha I feel sorry for - it's Freema Agyeman, as well. It's hard to make a role your own when even the script keeps dragging up the name of your predecessor.

I never bought into the idea that she was a Mary Sue until she was retroactively turned into one -- and frankly I wouldn't even care about her getting the odd mention (gotta keep the fangirls happy, I get that) if Martha weren't being sidelined in order to do it.

It also makes the Doctor look [more] insensitive [than can be excused just by his being an alien] and a bit lacking a sense of proportion. It's bad both for his characterisation and for Martha's.

That said, I enjoyed this episode. I would have enjoyed the Rose-Tinted Glasses more if we hadn't busted them out in almost every episode leading into it, but it was appropriate for once. Took a while for the episode to pick up pace, but once it got into it, it was fun.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:09 am
It's all very exciting!! I can't wait for next week!  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff