Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Age of Sigmar Discussion
The Empire Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28 29 30 31 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Centigrade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:45 am
Pontius Pirate
I think I finally figured it out. The fire and brimstone bellowing from the garguantan construct that is the Steam Tank reminds the Lord of a Great Dragon and sends him into a Berserker Rage the likes of which Khorne would smile upon. The rest is clockwork, with scraps of metal and the flesh of crewmen raining over the lord and his honor guard.

Well, that's the best I can think of on Virtue of Heroism.

That is probally the best way to think about it. But I am still sort of unsure about it. Well I am deffinetly going to find out for sure on Thursday when I get the big Empire box set.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:01 am
Well I got my Empire box set yesterday. And I still have not glued a model together yet. Mainly cause I am pondering on what to make my main block of troops, Wherever to make a Cannon or a mortor. And the most important thing of all what I should put on my Empire General. I would not mind a little help with me descisions as I am so undecisive. The only thing I have decided is that my general is going to be mounted.  

Centigrade

Everlasting Chaos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:11 am
Centigrade
Well I got my Empire box set yesterday. And I still have not glued a model together yet. Mainly cause I am pondering on what to make my main block of troops, Wherever to make a Cannon or a mortor. And the most important thing of all what I should put on my Empire General. I would not mind a little help with me descisions as I am so undecisive. The only thing I have decided is that my general is going to be mounted.

The box comes with the bits to make both a mounted and unmounted general. As for what to make, have you got any other Empire models or is this your starting army?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:22 am
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade

The box comes with the bits to make both a mounted and unmounted general. As for what to make, have you got any other Empire models or is this your starting army?

I got the big box set. Which contains 1 bright wizard, 1 general, 1 standard bearer, 20 State troops, 20 troops that can be made into Handgunners or Crossbowmen or even a mix, 5 Pistoliers, 5 Outriders, 12 Knights and 1 War Macchine(Mortar or Cannon).  

Centigrade

Everlasting Chaos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:32 pm
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade

I got the big box set. Which contains 1 bright wizard, 1 general, 1 standard bearer, 20 State troops, 20 troops that can be made into Handgunners or Crossbowmen or even a mix, 5 Pistoliers, 5 Outriders, 12 Knights and 1 War Macchine(Mortar or Cannon).

Ok, so you don't have any other models then. Now then, for me I'd never touch Crossbowmen. I think Handguns are exactly like Crossbows, but they have an extra -1 armour modifier at the cost of being a move-or-shoot weapon. I think it's worth it. Pistoliers vs Outriders pretty much comes down to the points, so in that case because you don't have any other Empire models it would probably be a good idea to have 5 of each. The State Troops is where it gets tricky though. Odds are you won't want to have just 10 of them, because they're human and as such won't be able to handle much with so few numbers. As such you'll probably want all 20 to be the same type. Unless you plan on using them as Detatchments for your ranged troops. Anyway, Swordsmen tend to make good offensive units. They have a higher WS than the rest of your Core choices and get the parry bonus, giving them a decent armour save. Spearmen make good defensive units, because they don't get the spear bonus when they charge. Drop them in the path of the enemy and let them come to you. Halberdiers are good at taking out tougher units, though I personally never use them. I'm happier with the Swordsmen's higher armour save. Finally, Cannon vs Mortar. You'll probably want to get a few of each eventually, as both are REALLY good. The Mortar is amazing at taking out large, tightly packed units of most enemy infantry while the Cannon can demolish characters and all Large Targets.

I hope this helps.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:21 am
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade

Ok, so you don't have any other models then. Now then, for me I'd never touch Crossbowmen. I think Handguns are exactly like Crossbows, but they have an extra -1 armour modifier at the cost of being a move-or-shoot weapon. I think it's worth it. Pistoliers vs Outriders pretty much comes down to the points, so in that case because you don't have any other Empire models it would probably be a good idea to have 5 of each. The State Troops is where it gets tricky though. Odds are you won't want to have just 10 of them, because they're human and as such won't be able to handle much with so few numbers. As such you'll probably want all 20 to be the same type. Unless you plan on using them as Detatchments for your ranged troops. Anyway, Swordsmen tend to make good offensive units. They have a higher WS than the rest of your Core choices and get the parry bonus, giving them a decent armour save. Spearmen make good defensive units, because they don't get the spear bonus when they charge. Drop them in the path of the enemy and let them come to you. Halberdiers are good at taking out tougher units, though I personally never use them. I'm happier with the Swordsmen's higher armour save. Finally, Cannon vs Mortar. You'll probably want to get a few of each eventually, as both are REALLY good. The Mortar is amazing at taking out large, tightly packed units of most enemy infantry while the Cannon can demolish characters and all Large Targets.

I hope this helps.

Yeah it does help a bit. I think I am going to go with swordsmen as my main block of troops(I will get a unit of spearmen later on). As for using all the little units as handgunners I may just have a unit of crossbowmean just to add a little character to my army. But the Cannon and Mortar situation is still bugging me. My main opponent is going to be my friends Chaos Nurgle army. So what would you suggest would work best against that? I am slightly leaning towards the Mortar but I don't know if that is the wrong choice.  

Centigrade

Everlasting Chaos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:57 am
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade

I hope this helps.

Yeah it does help a bit. I think I am going to go with swordsmen as my main block of troops(I will get a unit of spearmen later on). As for using all the little units as handgunners I may just have a unit of crossbowmean just to add a little character to my army. But the Cannon and Mortar situation is still bugging me. My main opponent is going to be my friends Chaos Nurgle army. So what would you suggest would work best against that? I am slightly leaning towards the Mortar but I don't know if that is the wrong choice.

No, you want Cannons. Assuming a Fantasy Nurgle army is anything like the 40k one, they're going to be a pain in the a** to take down. And Chaos is one of those armies that Mortars have a hard time against to begin with. They have WAY too much armour for a Mortar to be effective. And also Cannons can easily dispose of nasty critters like Chaos Spawns and Daemons.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:54 pm
I think the Great Unclean One has double-digit wounds...  

Drachyench

Centigrade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:18 am
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade

I hope this helps.

No, you want Cannons. Assuming a Fantasy Nurgle army is anything like the 40k one, they're going to be a pain in the a** to take down. And Chaos is one of those armies that Mortars have a hard time against to begin with. They have WAY too much armour for a Mortar to be effective. And also Cannons can easily dispose of nasty critters like Chaos Spawns and Daemons.

A Cannon it is then^^. Now I think I will just equip my general with the sword and shield. Cause they have a lot of magical swords in the book icluding the good old Runefang^^. Cause out of the 10 magical weapons in the list 7 of them are swords. Oh and Drachyench you are correct cause the Great Unclean One has 10 wounds. But fortunately for me he does not have one yet. He does have some Nurgle Chosen Knights though which I think is his most dangerous unit.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:06 am
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade

I hope this helps.

A Cannon it is then^^. Now I think I will just equip my general with the sword and shield. Cause they have a lot of magical swords in the book icluding the good old Runefang^^. Cause out of the 10 magical weapons in the list 7 of them are swords. Oh and Drachyench you are correct cause the Great Unclean One has 10 wounds. But fortunately for me he does not have one yet. He does have some Nurgle Chosen Knights though which I think is his most dangerous unit.

Chaos Knights aren't all that dangerous if you handle them right. Just drop an expendible unit in front of them that's turned so that their flank is facing a Cannon. The Knights will probably charge the unit, and will then align themselves with the front also exposing their flank. When the unit dies the Cannon will still have a nice view of the Knight's flank, and you blast them to tiny pieces. 3nodding  

Everlasting Chaos

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:02 pm
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade

I hope this helps.

Chaos Knights aren't all that dangerous if you handle them right. Just drop an expendible unit in front of them that's turned so that their flank is facing a Cannon. The Knights will probably charge the unit, and will then align themselves with the front also exposing their flank. When the unit dies the Cannon will still have a nice view of the Knight's flank, and you blast them to tiny pieces. 3nodding

Furies are great, relatively cheap units that are good at keeping things like that from happening.

But that would obviously mean *gasp!* a Chaos player actually using tactics. Most Chaos players underestimate the versatility of furies.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:46 pm
Lethkhar
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade

Furies are great, relatively cheap units that are good at keeping things like that from happening.

But that would obviously mean *gasp!* a Chaos player actually using tactics. Most Chaos players underestimate the versatility of furies.

Psh, screw Furies. Screamers FTW. xd  

Everlasting Chaos

Centigrade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:32 pm
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade

I hope this helps.

I think he is a little too on the sly side to fall for a trick like that. I would have to really think of a clever plan to get his unit of Nurgle Chosen Knights into that situation.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:14 pm
Everlasting Chaos
Lethkhar
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade

I've always considered screamers a little on the expensive side, myself...They make great screens, though. Especially with their T4, 5+ ward save, skirmisher, and that slashing ability where they fly over the people.

But it seems like too many points to invest in neutralizing a war machine. Just my opinion, though.  

Lethkhar

Centigrade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:50 am
Lethkhar
Everlasting Chaos
Lethkhar
Everlasting Chaos
Centigrade

I've always considered screamers a little on the expensive side, myself...They make great screens, though. Especially with their T4, 5+ ward save, skirmisher, and that slashing ability where they fly over the people.

But it seems like too many points to invest in neutralizing a war machine. Just my opinion, though.

Or you could just fight fire with fire and just Hellcannon their arses to well hell^^. Oh and if I had a choice out of Furies or Screamers I would go for Furies allthough I would go with screamers once in a while. On another note maybe we should keep on topic.  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28 29 30 31 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games