Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:24 pm
whiporwill-o
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet
After quite a bit of research on the Egyptian calendars, I have come to the conclusion that they're completely ********. stressed
Ah- the joy of independent City-cults.

city-cults?

as in each city has it's own beliefs? or am i way off?

More like each nome had their own major patron deity, plus other deities that were worshipped after this first deity and inhabited the same temple. This is not to be confused with the state god, and though the ennead is the most well known, the creator deity at the top depended at the point in history and political/religious supremacy of X cult at the time.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:48 pm
Bastemhet
whiporwill-o
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet
After quite a bit of research on the Egyptian calendars, I have come to the conclusion that they're completely ********. stressed

city-cults?

More like each nome had their own major patron deity, plus other deities that were worshipped after this first deity and inhabited the same temple. This is not to be confused with the state god, and though the ennead is the most well known, the creator deity at the top depended at the point in history and political/religious supremacy of X cult at the time.

forgive me, but it seems that my brain has oozed out from my ear and landed at your feet. eek  

whiporwill-o

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:31 pm
whiporwill-o
Bastemhet
whiporwill-o
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

city-cults?

forgive me, but it seems that my brain has oozed out from my ear and landed at your feet. eek

sweatdrop

There were state gods, which were the official gods of Egypt. Then each nome had their patron god/dess. Temples would be dedicated to the nome god, and then would also have statues of other deities that were worshipped after the patron god/dess was given worship. Then there were family gods (that may or may not be the same as the state gods), and then gods that people worshipped depending on their craft. There were at the least 1500 various deities in the history of Egypt, just not all of them were well known or widely worshipped. Many gods were particular to certain nomes or areas.

As far as who the state gods were, that depended on the time of Egyptian history (which spanned roughly three to four thousand years!) as well as the politics in play. There are 4 different cosmogeny myths. Those would be that of Memphis, Thebes, Hermopolis, and Heliopolis. You can find these on the 'net.

Does that make sense?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:57 pm
Bastemhet
whiporwill-o
Bastemhet
whiporwill-o
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

city-cults?

sweatdrop

There were state gods, which were the official gods of Egypt. Then each nome had their patron god/dess. Temples would be dedicated to the nome god, and then would also have statues of other deities that were worshipped after the patron god/dess was given worship. Then there were family gods (that may or may not be the same as the state gods), and then gods that people worshipped depending on their craft. There were at the least 1500 various deities in the history of Egypt, just not all of them were well known or widely worshipped. Many gods were particular to certain nomes or areas.

As far as who the state gods were, that depended on the time of Egyptian history (which spanned roughly three to four thousand years!) as well as the politics in play. There are 4 different cosmogeny myths. Those would be that of Memphis, Thebes, Hermopolis, and Heliopolis. You can find these on the 'net.

Does that make sense?
Wow, that's so cool! I had no idea there were so many gods!

Are there any new gods?  

Gho the Girl

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:28 am
TeaDidikai
Namikikyo
How can you tell?
She wasn't very good at it. You could tell that her reactions to her mark were placed carefully in response to what her mark said.

The major tip for me was that she messed up the Astrology speech. I'm sorry, but early June birthdays under any Hellenic system are not Capricorns. rolleyes

Social engineering is an art. As a result there are many poor novices.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:29 am
Gho the Girl

Yeah- at the same time, be careful of how you think of the word god. God is just an approximate translation to the Egyptian conception. Besides all the mess with henotheism and syncretism, netjer (God) literally translates as "divine power." I've heard others compare Egyptian gods to the Japanese kami. One god can be more "divine" than others, so even things that we consider not-gods, like demons (although that is tricky too, since I can't think of a being that was one-dimensionally malevolent in Egypt so much as our Western conception of demons) or spirits of specific places, were also considered gods.

Quote:
Are there any new gods?

What do you mean by new?  

Bastemhet

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:38 am
Bastemhet
Gho the Girl

Yeah- at the same time, be careful of how you think of the word god. God is just an approximate translation to the Egyptian conception. Besides all the mess with henotheism and syncretism, netjer (God) literally translates as "divine power." I've heard others compare Egyptian gods to the Japanese kami. One god can be more "divine" than others, so even things that we consider not-gods, like demons (although that is tricky too, since I can't think of a being that was one-dimensionally malevolent in Egypt so much as our Western conception of demons) or spirits of specific places, were also considered gods.
Holy moly. There is so much about Egyptian mythology I never knew.

As a kid, I loved reading mythology of various cultures. Egyptian was one of them, so you've really jazzed my day by teaching me stuff I never even thought about. Makes me feel young again biggrin
Quote:

Quote:
Are there any new gods?

What do you mean by new?
Well, rather, if only places in Egypt had gods, of if other areas could possibly have gods, although if they're like Kami, that dosen't sound all that likely.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:47 am
Gho the Girl

As a kid, I loved reading mythology of various cultures. Egyptian was one of them, so you've really jazzed my day by teaching me stuff I never even thought about. Makes me feel young again biggrin

I lurve it. 'Tis truly fascinatin'! heart eek I'm pretty excited to be starting my pathways thread soon, but I'm so close to figuring out the calendar so I'd like to get that done sooner than later.

Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean by new?
Well, rather, if only places in Egypt had gods, of if other areas could possibly have gods, although if they're like Kami, that dosen't sound all that likely.

Oh you mean like if there were Egyptian gods present in other cultures? Then yeah, there was a lot of later Greco-Egyptian bastardisation *cough* syncretisation, and I think there are some Egyptian myths that involve some Mesopotamian deities, like um...I think in one of them Astarte was Set's wife. Probably a political angle in there since Nephthys was most often dubbed his wife. But since Pharaoh can have more than one wife I don't see why the gods couldn't, either- except in cases of numerological significance. You can probably find this myth on wiki, which is where I think I saw it. I might have a source to dig this out of to, if you want it.

I don't think the Egyptians discounted the existence of other gods in other lands or of other cultures, as from the example above, they sometimes (though rarely) interacted. However the Egyptians considered themselves way superior to everyone anyway.

But uh, if that's not what you meant by new then... confused Egyptian indigenous autonomy pretty much completely ended with Roman rule in the first few hundred years A.D.-ish. So it didn't continue on, thus my being reformed recon.  

Bastemhet

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:53 am
Bastemhet
Gho the Girl

I lurve it. 'Tis truly fascinatin'! heart eek I'm pretty excited to be starting my pathways thread soon, but I'm so close to figuring out the calendar so I'd like to get that done sooner than later.

Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean by new?

Oh you mean like if there were Egyptian gods present in other cultures? Then yeah, there was a lot of later Greco-Egyptian bastardisation *cough* syncretisation, and I think there are some Egyptian myths that involve some Mesopotamian deities, like um...I think in one of them Astarte was Set's wife. Probably a political angle in there since Nephthys was most often dubbed his wife. But since Pharaoh can have more than one wife I don't see why the gods couldn't, either- except in cases of numerological significance. You can probably find this myth on wiki, which is where I think I saw it. I might have a source to dig this out of to, if you want it.

I don't think the Egyptians discounted the existence of other gods in other lands or of other cultures, as from the example above, they sometimes (though rarely) interacted. However the Egyptians considered themselves way superior to everyone anyway.
Uh huh, coolies. biggrin
Quote:

But uh, if that's not what you meant by new then... confused Egyptian indigenous autonomy pretty much completely ended with Roman rule in the first few hundred years A.D.-ish. So it didn't continue on, thus my being reformed recon.
So, could your local area have it's own god?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:03 am
Gho the Girl

Hmm...I suppose it's not impossible. I haven't ever considered that before. Good question! Although, that wouldn't matter much to me personally as I only follow a handful of already well-established gods. But it could be interesting to explore that in Pathways. But...I just have no idea how much that would really factor into the practice itself. We don't have much in terms of folk magic and ritual, just whatever has been left to us in temples. However there is a possibility that the priests (them being mostly part-time) would in turn bring back some of the practices and share it with their own village as caretakers of the village shrine, which in turn might influence folk practice. Probably anything I attempt would be the "reformed" part of my practice. I don't profess to be a priestess and I doubt I ever will be, so I'm not as tough on myself about strict adherence to ritual format that was meant for priests with open statues.  

Bastemhet

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:07 am
Bastemhet
Gho the Girl

Hmm...I suppose it's not impossible. I haven't ever considered that before. Good question! Although, that wouldn't matter much to me personally as I only follow a handful of already well-established gods. But it could be interesting to explore that in Pathways. But...I just have no idea how much that would really factor into the practice itself. We don't have much in terms of folk magic and ritual, just whatever has been left to us in temples. However there is a possibility that the priests (them being mostly part-time) would in turn bring back some of the practices and share it with their own village as caretakers of the village shrine, which in turn might influence folk practice. Probably anything I attempt would be the "reformed" part of my practice. I don't profess to be a priestess and I doubt I ever will be, so I'm not as tough on myself about strict adherence to ritual format that was meant for priests with open statues.
I see. 3nodding Thank you so much for sharing!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:11 am
Gho the Girl
Bastemhet
Gho the Girl

My pleasure! 4laugh  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:06 am
Bastemhet
Gho the Girl
Bastemhet
Gho the Girl

My pleasure! 4laugh
These kinds of questions will likely be included in your Pathways and other Kemetic projects, ya?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:24 pm
@ Bastemhet - Thanks, I understood that better. 3nodding  

whiporwill-o

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:31 pm
TeaDidikai
These kinds of questions will likely be included in your Pathways and other Kemetic projects, ya?

Oh, for sure. I consider this the basics, really. Though the local god thing was interesting.

You're welcome, whip. smile  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games