Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
[What Is Yaoi] Most Yaoi fans are girls? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yup, so true....
View Results

Ezra

Fashionable Businesswoman

6,975 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:04 am
MistressPaco
Ezra Savage
Artemisia Moonchild
Hi! I'm coming in late and I think everything's already been said...but I'm going to say something anyway. Even if it is just a repeat... ^^;

Well, yaoi was created by women for women.

It's romantic and the guys are bishonen (pretty boys or 'chicks with dicks')- the whole thing is idealized. It's not meant to reflect a real gay relationship (which is why many gay men do not like it).

Gay manga? Well, there is Bara - erotic romance manga for men. Big muscles (which is why it's sometimes called 'muscle love'), short hair, small eyes... Not at all the bishounen characters that draw in many females in the first place. (Personally, bara does nothing for me; I hate the muscles! *laughs*)

Who says that all gay men are into simple manly men? To be honest, I really like the romantic and soft touch to most yaoi. And you have to understand how a "real gay relationship" exists before you judge it. Romance isn't just limited to heterosexual couples.

We aren't saying it is.

We are just saying how Yaoi was originally intended, I've been around for 10 years in the Yaoi-Community online, back when there was only 1000 or so active fan's, and now it feels like there's millions and no one seems to know what any history about the term 'yaoi' or it's classical definitions.

Everyone wants to simply say 'yaoi means gay' when infact, it does not.

Homosexual men (which I know many who dislike yaoi, it isn't to say they all do, but most grown (18+) men don't seem to like it too much except to laugh at or giggle. I suppose you have to be into anime/manga before you can even consider liking yaoi, honestly.) are totally allowed to like it! But the point being stated is that it isn't made directed twords them.

But just because they make pants for guys in the guys section doesn't stop me from buying and waring them, same goes the other way with girl pants and emo boys. That's totally OKAY.

Yaoi is idealized in a fashion that girls, for the most part, would find most appealing. If it also appeals to other minorities and groups, that's totally okay but primarily it's main intended audiance, which it is, is girls.

When homosexual men, and expecially boys, get online and see it for the first time they automatically assume it's 'gay' material that was originally made and intended for them, when in fact it wasn't.

This thread has nothing to do with stereotypes, everyone has different tastes. But what Yaoi was originally intended for is set in stone historically, and can't be changed. Though certain minorities and groups of people might say it's a certain way, as it stands, it has not changed from it's original format, girls still make it for girls.

<3 All boys are welcome to it, but it's important we understand things as they are and how they were, and not how we want them to be or how they seem to be on the surface.

that has nothing to do with what I said. I understand that it was made for and made by girls. I was expressing my opinion on what she said about it not reflecting a gay relationship. I think it was kind of an ignorant statement. Romance does exist in a gay relationship, and is not limited to muscle men with beady eyes and short hair.

1. YAOI
Yaoi is a Japanese word, which is actually something of an acronym. It comes from "YAma nashi, Ochi nashi, Imi nashi", which means "no climax, no point, no meaning".

In speech and writing, it's a slang term used to refer to stories that focus on homosexual relationships, usually between men. Yaoi tends to involve graphic sex, often with little or no plot. The female equivalent is yuri.

A related genre is shonen-ai, or "boys' love", which tends to involve less sex and more cuddling (and plot).

2. YAOI
Yaoi is a slang meaning 'boys love' or homosexuality that is used in the japanese language. Popular with fangirls who like their favorite anime guys to kiss.

Whether yaoi was made for girls or not, it does reflect a homosexual relationship, including ROMANCE and SEX. Not just one. Not all gay men are obsessed with sex.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:42 am
kruegs
YukiroKatsuya
NOTICE!: Yaoi/ Shounen ai was made FOR GIRLS

domokun Suredidlydidly right.

Darn Skippy! xD whee  

Labtech Abi

Friendly Pumpkin

8,975 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200

protecterofelements

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:21 pm
yaoi and shonen-ai is not just for girls but the majority of the people who read it are female  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:25 pm
For-Chan Cookie
Yaoi is traditionally a genre for women, by women.

Women like men. Women like romance. Women go wild for two beautiful men in romantic relationships. Add sex and it's a bonus. Yaoi is for women, by women. If men end up enjoying it, that's ok too, but they are not the target audience, we girls are.

That's true and the fact most yaoi artists are women.  

animeangel_99

Supportive Cat

16,615 Points
  • Team Player 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • There are two sides... 50

Madame-Yaoi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:55 pm
I have had this argument with my friend. she is possitive that yaoi is for gay guys, yuri is for lesbians, and hentai is for straight guys? Any one can like what ever they want, A GUY introduced me to yaoi! scream I have friends who watch hentai, yaoi, and yuri & they are boys and girls of different sexualites. you can like what ever you want to.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:05 pm
This is true that yaoi is targeted to a female audience we love the fact that two pll of the same sex can fight all the odds to be with eachother  

Forbidden Chocolate

Hal B Noire

Dapper Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:14 pm
Although that may not be the real reason why yaoi was made, it does make sense that girls would like guy on guy action; just as most guys, if not some, enjoy girl on girl action. I mean come on, girl mud wrestling, girls kissing when they're drunk, etc. Don't you think girls have that kind of mindset too?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:19 pm
I think so. Yaoi was written by girls for girls, but I don't think that's true(Obviously).
But I'm a girl, so that's one vote from girls. ^^'

iKaede Fuyou

anime_kitty_8791

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:58 pm
i honestly think that yaoi is targeted toward a female audience. i mean, i dont' know if it started out that way, but that's how it is now. most yaoi readers are girls.
and i agree that just just as much as guys like some girl-girl action, girls enjoy guy-guy action. i mean come on! who doesn't love that stuff! it's hot! anyway, i like both yuri (to a certain point depending on that story line) and yaoi (absolutely all the way!). i used to not like yuri, and i used to be kinda hesitant on yaoi, but ever since my friend showed me some really good mangas, i've been all for it. xd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:10 pm
My friend in the HP club I'm in is gay and reads yaoi.

I'm a lesbian and I read yaoi AND yuri.

It's all good.  

Drakie Cakie
Crew

Drakie Cakie
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:20 pm
Wikipedia to the rescue!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:30 pm
i like yaoi cause its just cool i don't know why more girls like it then guys thats almost a reverse question about why more guys like yuri then girls  

protecterofelements

lmadmacks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:16 am
I agree with protecterofelements  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:06 am
I like yaoi because i think it is cool  

AbaraiRenji-rules

The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash