Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:23 pm
Vailor Kusanagi
Takk Deo! I shall give them a read tomorrow when my eyes arn't so tired haha.

I'm going to purchase some reading material soon and was wondering what you would recommend reading first, the Poetic Edda, the Prose Edda, or Njalls Saga?

Poetic Edda, then the Sagas. The Eddas have to do with the gods; the Sagas with the people (by and large). The Prose Edda is a later amalgam written and compiled by a Christian and there's some evidence he distorted stories to make them all work together.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:14 am
Deoridhe
Vailor Kusanagi

I'm going to purchase some reading material soon and was wondering what you would recommend reading first, the Poetic Edda, the Prose Edda, or Njalls Saga?

Poetic Edda, then the Sagas. The Eddas have to do with the gods; the Sagas with the people (by and large). The Prose Edda is a later amalgam written and compiled by a Christian and there's some evidence he distorted stories to make them all work together.
For those of us playing along at home, What Evidence?  

TeaDidikai

skvllkid

Monarch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:45 am
Deoridhe
Vailor Kusanagi
Takk Deo! I shall give them a read tomorrow when my eyes aren't so tired haha.

Thank you, I have heard that there is somewhat a bias Christian view in one of the Eddas, but I wasn't sure which one, thanks for all your help!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:30 am
My Mythology teacher at my Community college picked out the Prose Edda for us to read up on the Norse specifically. I can't remember his reasoning behind it though.  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:35 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
Vailor Kusanagi

For those of us playing along at home, What Evidence?

Snorri's stated goals of compiling old stories for historical purposes, the ending after Ragnorak being one of a single god of light rising (Hmm, wonder who that could be....), and differences between the prose Eddas and various versions of the Poetic Eddas. Also, a lot of the stuff condemning Loki as a demonic figure is from Snorri.

Taliah
My Mythology teacher at my Community college picked out the Prose Edda for us to read up on the Norse specifically. I can't remember his reasoning behind it though.

It's the most organized. The other Eddas are bits and pieces of poems; stuff is missing, some of it seemingly conflicts, etc... The Prose Edda was specifically created as a single document, so it reads the way we expect stories to.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:37 pm
Deoridhe

Snorri's stated goals of compiling old stories for historical purposes, the ending after Ragnorak being one of a single god of light rising (Hmm, wonder who that could be....), and differences between the prose Eddas and various versions of the Poetic Eddas. Also, a lot of the stuff condemning Loki as a demonic figure is from Snorri.
twisted  

TeaDidikai

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:22 am
This came up in a conversation I had with my husband and some friends of ours last night. Is there anything that suggests one way or another that someone would need to be Asatur or at least honor the Aseir to be picked by Odin or Freya? Considering that they died in battle?

Oh, and could youalso tell me more about this Atheist Asatrur? I think it may interest my husband.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:13 pm
Shearaha
This came up in a conversation I had with my husband and some friends of ours last night. Is there anything that suggests one way or another that someone would need to be Asatur or at least honor the Aseir to be picked by Odin or Freya? Considering that they died in battle?

Oh, and could youalso tell me more about this Atheist Asatrur? I think it may interest my husband.

Given Asatru is based out of the 1930s, no. XD

What you seem to be asking, though, is does one need to worship the gods in order to be able to be picked up by the gods, and I don't know much about that. It wasn't a question humanity would have asked in the time when we had lots of people worshiping them, so it'll take some new contacts to get new answers to important questions like this.

ninja NOT IT!  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 am
Thanks!

I was really asking for my husband primarily. The best way to describe him is as a warrior, but he is also an athiest. We both have germanic roots and if I had any intrest in worshiping any gods I'd look more into Asatru, but I like being on my own and I really don't think I have anything to offer a god.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:38 pm
Shearaha
Thanks!

I was really asking for my husband primarily. The best way to describe him is as a warrior, but he is also an athiest. We both have germanic roots and if I had any intrest in worshiping any gods I'd look more into Asatru, but I like being on my own and I really don't think I have anything to offer a god.

Well, keep in mind it's not "people who died who were warriors" but "people who died in battle". Also keep in mind that Valhalla is a very specific place with a specific purpose of keeping the Einharjar (slain in battle) ready for the battles of Ragnarok. If you don't like fighting every day and think you might die in battle, you might want to petition Freya to chose you; there is some evidence she keeps her half of the Einharjar at her hall.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:57 am
Fighting everyday would be excellent for my husband. All of his sparing/fighting partners have moved away and he's finding it *difficult* to work off all of his pent up energy. It's really hard for me to explaine sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Shearaha
Fighting everyday would be excellent for my husband. All of his sparing/fighting partners have moved away and he's finding it *difficult* to work off all of his pent up energy. It's really hard for me to explaine sweatdrop

Heh. Well, then, he might want to try to die in battle and get the attention of the Valkyrie when he does.

Personally, Valhalla sounds horrid to me.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:21 pm
Deoridhe
Shearaha

Heh. Well, then, he might want to try to die in battle and get the attention of the Valkyrie when he does.

I plan to pick the lock and come and go if I end up having friends. heart  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:49 pm
Deoridhe
Shearaha

I know if he gets the choice he'll go out in battle. He may even start a fight just so he can sweatdrop  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:58 pm
Shearaha
I know if he gets the choice he'll go out in battle. He may even start a fight just so he can sweatdrop

Heh. Sounds like an Einharjar.

Brought from PMs:

Deity of HardCore
I understand the Nine Noble Virtues and other stuff such as heaving feasts and so on in honor of the Gods, But is there any other ways to I suppose Worship them?
I have heard about pouring Mead into the ground as a offering, Would simple beer work? How about another one I heard about leaving out food for the LandWights?

Sorry if this seems like alot to ask, But I suppose I have to learn some how.

Firstly, the nine noble virtues are not historically accurate. They are drawn from the Hovamol/Havamal in most cases, but aren't necessarily in line with the myths or contemporary culture, nor should they be treated as some sort of Heathen Ten Commandments.

I pour out regularly, and a wide variety of things with different meanings and that are meant to have different meanings. Sometimes I choose things for a specific request (like milk and honey when I'm sick) and sometimes I'm matching up to a deity based on my UPG (unsubstatiated personal gnosis).

Leaving food out for the langwights and pouring out to them was historically done, we think, and I currently do it semi regularly. Historically speaking, your average person would have more to do with the landspirits and their ancestors than the gods, though there are some theories that the reason so many of us are interacting with gods is because we are what would have been the preisthood. Sometimes I think it's an ego thing, too; very few people in modern Western culture wants to be average or normal.

Feel free to ask any other questions, if you'd like. ^.^  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces