Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]
Hogwart's Staff Room Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 70 71 72 73 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

a new decade needs a new poll!
  =)
View Results

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:59 pm

My Hogwarts Teaching Re-Application

1. About how long have you been a part of the Guild?
Since Last October

2. How many posts have you made?
Over 80

3. Have you ever been enrolled in any other classes with this guild and were you diligent with the homework that was assigned to you?
I'm only 8, so I'm not really a student

4. Class you are re-applying for:
Care of Magical Creatures

5. Professor's name and user name, so RP and otherwise (RP characters are welcomed, if not wanted but not required):
My name and user name are the same. (You may look at my journal for more info on my background)

6. Why you want to teach here at Hogwarts:
Because Hagrid is getting on in years and he taught me all that he knows.

7. What will class be like under your instruction? Can you give an example of what one of your lessons will look like? And perhaps how you think you will set up the class? (You can just give a brief description if you'd like)
See my class room thread...

8. Can you give us any references? Someone who is part of the guild. (The more active and trusted, the better. And they better know they're your reference before you send in this application.)
KTweirdchick and hopefully anyone else...

9. What do you have that any other of the applying teachers don't have:
I'm dedicated, inteligent, own a copy of Magical Beasts and Where to Find Them, and I listen to the 6 books on CD regularly. (it's good to do homework to)

10. Anything else you would like to add:
Not really, I really enjoyed teaching this class last term...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:17 pm
Teaching Application Update

Alright,
here's what we have, so far, concerning teachers...

Quote:
Key:
name= last term's teacher
name= re-applicant
name= new applicant
name= new applicant,
wanting to teach a class that had a teacher for the previous term

• Arithmancy
    • lizzieangel
  • Ancient Runes
    • Celestial Archer
  • Astronomy
    • MadeyeMoodyman
  • Care of Magical Creatures
    • Hope Maxime Hagrid
  • Charms
    • dragons375
    • Voluptuous Jon (if dragons doesn't want to)
  • Defense Against the Dark Arts
    • Voluptuous Jon (if he doesn't teach Charms)
  • Divination
    • KTweirdchick
  • History of Magic
    • Demarest
  • Muggle Studies
    • Angilwingz
  • Potions
    • Redpopsicles

• House Elf Course, Cleaning 101
    • Reese_Roper
  • House Elf Course, Magical Art of Cooking
    • lizzieangel

No applications have been accepted or denied yet.
All mods, old teachers, new applicants;
please tell me what you think about the applicants for the next term.
I would prefer you to post your opinions here,
but if you'd rather not put anyone on the spot,
and have a sincire criteque, you may PM me or contact me in any other way.
I'll try to announce the Spring Term Teachers by this Friday.

Thank you,
Katie

KTweirdchick

KTweirdchick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:37 pm
Katie's Quick Thoughts for Up-Coming Term

Well, we're always trying to improve in this guild and so I have a few things that I hope we can settle on before the start of next term. New applicants are welcome to take part in the discussion of these ideas as well. Also, if anyone has any problems, questions, or things that you would like to talk about (concerning next term's classes/teachers), just post them. In my list, bold is the general idea/concept, italics are the explanation/possible solutions/detailed ideas, and the regular type is my personal opinion on the subject.

What I would like to decide on by next term:
  • Lessons for different houses:
        I can't help but want us all to decide on either having lessons per class or lessons per year or whatever
    • Since our terms are so short, I really like the idea of having different lessons for each year. This way you could re-use and fine-tune your lessons that you've already written and people will continue to learn new things. I think we've all written a lesson that we had to go back and fix because it didn't really make a whole lot of sense. But that's just my thought
  • Possible points for homework assignments:
        I've noticed that the classes that gave more points for homework had a higher number of students. Most of the teachers seem to be using the O.W.L. marks for their homework, however different teachers give out different numbers of points. I realize that we all have our own way of running the class, but it would be wonderful just to set a fixed cap on the number of points you're allowed to give for an assignment.
    • Personally, I think we should make homework 10 points and extra credit however many we like, but not exceeding...say...25 points or something like that...and then I think some of you give out tests or quizzes...you could make those worth 15-20 points or something.
        I also really liked whoever first had the idea of a final with a subtraction of points if not handed in... I think we should make that deduction number universal as well. I was also wondering if anyone thinks we should begin to subtract a point for each homework assignment that isn't turned in. Because I also noticed that a suprising number of members turned in their final exams compared to the home work turned in through-out the term.
    • I was thinking maybe 1 point per homework that isn't turned in and then have maybe 1 or 2 "sick days" or maybe they can miss 1/3 of the homework or something...
  • Re-making class rooms:
        I'm sure many of you are itching to talk about this. And, frankly, I'm quite curious how you think you can leave your class rooms as they are without confusing your students. But we should definitely decide if we're going to re-make our class room threads or keep our old ones. As well as what you should have to do to your thread if you plan on keeping it. To distinguish one term from the next. Because we should all do the same thing, just for sanity's sake.
    • Personally, I think we should re-make them. It just keeps things simple and clear. If you are all just too lazy to re-make your threads, hell I'll re-make them for you! But if that is really the only reason you don't want to re-make your class room then I worry...
  • Re-application process:
        This is another one that I'm sure you'd all like to bite my head off about. To start off with, I'm going to tell you that you WILL have to re-apply every term in some way, shape or form. I'm putting my foot down on that and today I'm wearing steel-toed boots. Well, not really, but you get the idea; I'm not budging on it. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, would you guys like to work out a different way for re-applications to be made? I'm sure you're all going to think "Hell ya!"
    • Perhaps I could make a shorter form for re-applicants or else ask you to post that you'd like to re-apply in a certain font style (so it sticks out from the rest of discussion). What do you think?
  • Possible requirements for each term:
        Once, a while back, we had come to general agreement that teachers should have to meet certain standards in their classrooms in order to stay teachers. I was wondering, now that we have two steady terms under our belt, if we wanted to touch that subject again. Such ideas included but were not limited to...
    • New lessons at least every 3 weeks-
          This idea was to try to weed-out those teachers who would post a single lesson and then disappear from the guild
      • Personally, I like this idea. Since there are only 10 weeks in a term that would require at least 3 lessons and then we could also begin to require a Final Exam
    • A minimum number of guild posts and being a guild member for X amount of time-
          Once again, this was to weed-out inactive members before the even got the job
      • I think we could wait on this one, since we're still struggling to fill all of our positions and some of our most diligent teachers aren't really our most active members

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:26 pm
Oi....  

Angilwingz

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:54 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:20 am
        I can't help but want us all to decide on either having lessons per class or lessons per year or whatever
    • I like having a different lesson for year year...or for me I had a couple of years combined. But it worked for me and my students didn't seem to have a problem with it either.
  • Possible points for homework assignments:
        I've noticed that the classes that gave more points for homework had a higher number of students. Most of the teachers seem to be using the O.W.L. marks for their homework, however different teachers give out different numbers of points. I realize that we all have our own way of running the class, but it would be wonderful just to set a fixed cap on the number of points you're allowed to give for an assignment.
    • I agree with KT on this
        I also really liked whoever first had the idea of a final with a subtraction of points if not handed in... I think we should make that deduction number universal as well. I was also wondering if anyone thinks we should begin to subtract a point for each homework assignment that isn't turned in. Because I also noticed that a suprising number of members turned in their final exams compared to the home work turned in through-out the term.
    • I like what KT suggested for this
  • Re-making class rooms:
        I'm sure many of you are itching to talk about this. And, frankly, I'm quite curious how you think you can leave your class rooms as they are without confusing your students. But we should definitely decide if we're going to re-make our class room threads or keep our old ones. As well as what you should have to do to your thread if you plan on keeping it. To distinguish one term from the next. Because we should all do the same thing, just for sanity's sake.
    • I don't have a problem with re-making classrooms
        This is another one that I'm sure you'd all like to bite my head off about. To start off with, I'm going to tell you that you WILL have to re-apply every term in some way, shape or form. I'm putting my foot down on that and today I'm wearing steel-toed boots. Well, not really, but you get the idea; I'm not budging on it. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, would you guys like to work out a different way for re-applications to be made? I'm sure you're all going to think "Hell ya!"
    • I was thinking that we could have to application forms one for new teachers and one for those who were teacher's for the last term. Since for the most part we know who has done well with their class there application could be shorter.
  • Possible requirements for each term:
        Once, a while back, we had come to general agreement that teachers should have to meet certain standards in their classrooms in order to stay teachers. I was wondering, now that we have two steady terms under our belt, if we wanted to touch that subject again. Such ideas included but were not limited to...
    • New lessons at least every 3 weeks-
          This idea was to try to weed-out those teachers who would post a single lesson and then disappear from the guild
      • I agree with KT
    • A minimum number of guild posts and being a guild member for X amount of time-
          Once again, this was to weed-out inactive members before the even got the job
      • sounds good to me to wait a bit on this one

Celestial Archer

Fashionable Entrepreneur

4,700 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

lizzieangel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:06 am
Lessons for Different Houses or Years:

I am happy with the way this is run now, with different sets for different years. KT, supposing you introduce this classes per year thing now and there is a class someone REALLY wants to take but they can't because they're in the wrong year. They might not even be able to ever take than class.

Possible Points for Homework Assignments:

I think I use a fair system. Take the Owl grade (O being 5, T being 0) and double it for lesson points. For extra credit don't double the grade points. This gives you 10 points per lesson. 5 points per extra credit.

Re-making Classrooms:

Keep your classroom just delete all the old lessons...

Re-Applications:

um...you only need to reapply if your job is under threat. So if someone else applied for Arithmancy then I would need to reapply as well. Otherwise I wouldn't unless I said I wanted to quit my job.

New Lessons:

I think 4-6 assignments and 1 test per term.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:06 am
Angilwingz
Oi....

I know...
sweatdrop
but we gotta work this kind of crud out some time...
3nodding
I know you don't really enjoy working on this stuff but please bare with me Angil

KTweirdchick

KTweirdchick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:28 am
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:49 am
lizzieangel
Lessons for Different Houses or Years:

I am happy with the way this is run now, with different sets for different years. KT, supposing you introduce this classes per year thing now and there is a class someone REALLY wants to take but they can't because they're in the wrong year. They might not even be able to ever take than class.
Why wouldn't they? It's not one class for each year, it's one set of lessons for each year. I don't see how anyone could miss out. Unless an upcoming 5th year wanted to do the lessons in a class that's for 3rd years...which I find unlikely because the higher the year, usually the more interesting the criteria.

Possible Points for Homework Assignments:

I think I use a fair system. Take the Owl grade (O being 5, T being 0) and double it for lesson points. For extra credit don't double the grade points. This gives you 10 points per lesson. 5 points per extra credit.
It seems we're all agreed on a homework points number. But, once again, some people might want to give more for extra credit. But I suppose I understand your reasoning, that you shouldn't be able to earn more on your extra credit than you did on your homework. I know in one of my classes in real life, we have this extra credit assignment, but we can get the credit for it unless we turned in a certain homework assignment a few weeks ago. Maybe we could enforce that. It seems like most of you keep some sort of record of who has and hasn't turned in their homework or other assignments. (Might I invite you all to Voluptuous Jon's DAtDA class...it's nice and organized and pretty, just what you'd expect from a Ravenclaw wink )

Re-making Classrooms:

Keep your classroom just delete all the old lessons...
What about those who post their new lessons as well as put them in their first few posts? I'm not deleting everyone's posts, I'm just not doing it. I have a whole other host of things I could be doing. And I'm not going to expect the other mods to do it either, those powers are supposed to be to keep the guild clean and that idea sounds thoroughly messy. It's much easier to re-make your classroom.

Re-Applications:

um...you only need to reapply if your job is under threat. So if someone else applied for Arithmancy then I would need to reapply as well. Otherwise I wouldn't unless I said I wanted to quit my job.
No. There are two teachers this term alone who are likely to be replace, and there other teachers who's threads would go untouched if we went by that rule. Like me, I wont be able to teach Divination this term, hence why I didn't re-apply. But most teachers that aren't going to stay, aren't going to tell us they're disappearing. Like I said. Everyone one WILL re-apply EVERY term. I think a lot of us enjoy that we keep an organized guild and I'm not going to let that unique atmosphere that they enjoy go to waste because people don't feel like re-applying...

New Lessons:

I think 4-6 assignments and 1 test per term.
6 assignments!? eek Maybe it's just me, but that seems like a lot. I think the average that I saw, when I was scouting for loose House points, was 3 or 4... and when you say "test," do you mean like a final exam? or an actual test? I've never really understood how people thought tests in classes like these were any different from homework assignments...

KTweirdchick

KTweirdchick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:01 am
Celestial Archer
    • I like having a different lesson for year year...or for me I had a couple of years combined. But it worked for me and my students didn't seem to have a problem with it either.
      I concur. For example, I know some of the classes for 3rd year and above have a "Prep" course. My only fear is for the 2nd years. They get a pretty raw deal out of that. I'm almost being to think we shouldn't allow first years to take those classes and leave Prep. for 2nd years only. We still have plenty of regular courses. I think...Or, I don't know how we'd keep track of it but, we could say that first years are only allowed to take one or two upper-division classes. Like electives...
  • Re-making class rooms:
    • I don't have a problem with re-making classrooms
      THANK YOU! heart I was beginning to think I was the only one... sweatdrop
    • I was thinking that we could have to application forms one for new teachers and one for those who were teacher's for the last term. Since for the most part we know who has done well with their class there application could be shorter.
      I like this idea. I've sort of been generally concluding it myself, after reading people's responses...I'll make up a tester one and post it for your opinion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:17 pm

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Angilwingz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm
I really strongly disagree with removing house points for lessons not turned in. This isn't a real world dictatorship. This is the internet and some people cant turn in all lessons.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:55 pm
Angilwingz
I really strongly disagree with removing house points for lessons not turned in. This isn't a real world dictatorship. This is the internet and some people cant turn in all lessons.

I agree! Some students disappear for weeks and are unable to attend to their regular classes.

On everything else I agree. I think we should remake classes, if not students would get confused! I would just like to keep this short and simple so people actually read it! I am sorry for not doing as many lessons as I was planning on! I really am going to do more next semester! I think the amount of points, should be standard between all classes, meaning all classes give out the same number of house points!

Thank you for allowing me to try for the Charms position if Dragons no longer accepts!  

Voluptuous Jon

Dapper Gaian

Voluptuous Jon

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:00 pm
KTweirdchick
Voluptuous Jon
My class should be ready to be locked!

Where has Dragons been? Is she gonna be here for Charms, if not I would really like to teach that, but I dont want to take a class that she likes, that she teached.

O, by the way, I have to add ten points to Ravenclaw, but I did not want to add it to the House Points section because I saw that it was too late.

(if it was the ten points that you had listed in your class room, I added it)
I checked everyone's class rooms before I posted the House Cup results
3nodding

Thank you, and yes that was the one I was talking about!  
Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 70 71 72 73 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games