Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Harry Potter Guild of Gaia
The Hogwarts Monthly! May Issue 2015 [OPEN READ ME] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you ready for the new issue !?
  Yes!!
  I didn't know we had a paper.
  Can I please be a writer !?
View Results

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:26 pm
╔╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╗

Name: January Issue
Issue Number: 3.6
EDITOR
: Aunt Slappy

Table of Contents:
1. Cover Page/ToB
2. News That Spreads Through The Halls
3. Caption Contest
4. Birthdays
5. Member of the Month
6. Potterwatch
7.The Laptop Whimsical Stop
8. Hagrid's Pet
9. New Years Resolution
10.Myths of the Muggle World
11. Magic Real or Fake
12.Hidden Muggle Talent
13. Witch Weekly (entertainment)
14. Be Active
15. Note from the Editor
16. Thanks to HM Staff

╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:33 pm

╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

◘ News That Spreads Through the Hallway ◘

Hello dear readers! Thanks to my unprecedented investigative skills (not to mention my firsthand intimate knowledge wink ), I've got the scoop to dish out on what's been happening behind the scenes in regards to "HPGoG's 7 Year Anniversary Spectacular!" I hope you all have been paying attention because this little lull in activity in the Great Hall is going to change very soon. There have been some delays in getting things truly up and running, someone told me that the squid sprained a tentacle and then there was that fiasco with the enchanted-- Oh Bat Bogeys! I promised I wouldn't give anything away... sweatdrop Just forget I said anything; besides, the Headmaster gave me a much more important task...

Well readers, it's my unfortunate duty to be the first to tell you that our "Recruiting Contest" was an enormous bust. No one won. I managed to get a few new recruits, but as I was particularly influential in setting up the whole event, I don't count. Alas, that Thank you Letter for December of 2011 is still without a home for the present, BUT there may be something you can do! Professor Adonis told me that he would consider extending the recruiting contest deadline if I found a way to boost participation. So I now present to you...

User Image
Just a few tips for recruiting.

User Image
For this method there is you-the recruiter, and a real life or Gaia friend who enjoys Harry Potter- the hopeful. It goes something like this:

Quote:
Day 1:
YOU: Hey FRIEND, you enjoy Harry Potter, you should join this great guild I'm in on Gaia! I think you'd really like it!
FRIEND: Oh yeah? Maybe I'll give it a look..... ...
Day 2:
YOU: *poke* So, did you join it yet? It's called the Harry Potter Guild of Gaia.
FRIEND: What? Oh that... no I didn't...
YOU: *gasp and poke a few times*Get on it! It's totally awesome!!!!
Day 3:
YOU: Let's go Bother FRIEND to join HPGoG. Did you join yet? No? Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! DoitDoitDoitDoitDoitDoitDoit!
FRIEND: Okay!!!! Goodness... I'll do it, I'm going right now to check it out!
YOU: YAAAAAaaay! Don't forget to tell them I referred you!
Day 8
YOU AND FRIEND: Let's go bother MUTUAL FRIEND...

Persistence is key. Remember, they're your friend they have to put up with you pestering them wink

User Image
This method is very similar to the Potter Pal method, but is done in regards to Gaia friends. Friend being the operative word, HPGoG doesn't condone harassing random individuals.

User Image
This is my most common method of choice. For this method, all you do is put one of our lovely HPGoG banners in your signature and then head on over to the Main Harry Potter forum in the Entertainment section and just go about your business and let the banner advertise for you. Although with this method the recruits are less likely to put your name down in their application, but that can be helped if you put a little blurb reminder in your signature asking them to put your name in their requests. You can post anywhere there, games are a particularly simple and straight forward option.
It's kind of like strapping a banner across your chest and walking through a busy area. Jackpot.
User Image

╔╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╗

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:53 pm

gaia_gaiagold Caption Contest! gaia_gaiagold
How sad! No one submitted any responses last month!!!! gonk We're willing to chalk it up to the image not being very inspiring last month, so we're going to try again with a NEW image. ((ooh lahlah!))

How to Participate:
1. It's a simple caption contest. Look at the picture and come up with a funny phrase or have the characters depicted say things to make the situation humorous. Keep it relatively clean- and appropriate for all ages. What we will be looking for is Originality! So simply copying what someone else has done won't get you the prize.
2. Send your caption(s) in to the HogwartsMonthlyEditor in a PM. You are allowed to send in multiple responses, but try to send them all together in one PM, please.
3. The Deadline for Submissions is January 30th!!!

Prize?
The winner will be decided by the staff of the Hogwarts Monthly and we will release the image with your caption in next month’s issue! The prize for this month is a surprise! Bwahahaha! That's right we're going to keep you in suspense! But rest assured, it'll be a good prize to be sure!

Have at it! Stay loose, even if it's the most random thought that you had when you looked at it, send it in! It may not be as random as you thought!

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:54 pm

◘ January Birthdays ◘

If your birthday is in January but is not listed here, please post it in this thread. Make sure the guild knows of any name changes!

From you Fellow members of the Guild we would like to wish you a happy birthday,
In the spirit of 7th anniversary spectacular we have retired HOH bdays wishes biggrin

January 1 to the 19th

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

January 20th to the 31st

User Image

13 – b e a r - c h o o

15 – Insatiable Design

19- Riku Masen

20- reowr Im a Tiger

22- Clover_IceQueen

29 – Animekitty47

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:03 pm

◘ Wizard of the Month ◘

The honor for being wizard of the month goes to iDarthy! Now iDarthy or Ace (rpname) Got selected as the honorary member this time around for his enthusiasm and participation to give the guild life in the little time he has been a member, a fresh student In the House of Gryffindor for only a little, iDarthy showed alot of dedication as a house elf to keep the guild running in a time sleep...one of our reporters took the time to speak to our special honorary and here is his Interview below:
User Image

Q: Have you read all the books? How many times?
A:I have read all of the books! As for how many times....that number is uncertain xD If I did have to guess...maybe about 5 to 10 times?

Q: Which is your favorite?
A:My favorite of the books would have to be either Sorcerer's Stone or Half-Blood Prince.

Q: Have you seen any of the movies based on the books, if so which ones?
A: I've seen all 8 Harry Potter movies :3

Q: Which is your favorite of those?
A: Oh geez...uhh...It's a close tie between the Chamber of Secrets and Deathly Hallows part 2

Q: What is your favorite book or author? Besides Harry/J.K.?
A: I actually have two answers for this. My favorite author is Stephen King. I love his stories...honestly...I still have not finished reading IT yet. Due to me not owning the book and having to get it from the library. And my other favorite series besides Harry Potter has to be the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. Besides Harry Potter...the Inheritance Cycle is the only other series I'll re read over and over again.

Q: Do you have a favorite character from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books? Who is it?
A:It's Harry.

Q: How did you find out about Gaia?
A:One of my best friends told me about the site and so I decided to join..that was back 2007. If you look at my account...I think this account was made in 2011...it's because I've been hacked a few times.

Q: What's your favorite thing to do on Gaia? Outside of HPGoG?
A: I've just got back into writing stories...I've been currently writing a MLP fan fiction that is posted on fanfiction.net (yes...I am a brony) I also like to play video games...currently playing through Battlefield 3's campaign atm.

Q: Are you in any other guilds? Are you as active in those?
A: I am in other guilds and the only other guild I am active in is a pokemon rp guild called 'Pokemon: the Final Frontier' I'm a vice captain on it and I encourge those who like to RP and who also like Pokemon to give it a look

Q: How often would you say you are on Gaia? In the HPGoG?
A: I check Gaia at least once a day. If you do have me on your friends list and it says I'm online...I usually just keep the tab open or am away from the computer.

Q: Was Grffindor your first choice for House? Why or why not?
A: Yes! I just like Gryffindor..... blaugh

Q: I've noticed that you joined recently on in November. How's your experience been in the guild so far? Why do you think that it is?
A: I thought it was November...or was that when I started being active...getting off topic. I've been quite happy with the guild so far! Everyone has been nice and welcoming to me since I was a house elf and now that I've got a house...I look forward to continuing my education here at Hogwarts

Q: What do you think about being deemed the Member of the Month?
A:It's a great honor. I thought it would be a while before I was nominated for this!

Q: Lastly, is there anything else you want to tell the members of the guild?
A:Keep posting and being active!! For those of you who are still House Elves, just make conversation in the other topics that allow it. Go rp in the kitchens! Just don't give up!

If you want to become member of the month like iDarthy? Approval by Heads, Help out, Be active, Get noticed!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:04 pm

◘Potterwatch◘

Potterwatch is not only for Pottermore, it is a page for any harry potter related topics around the world, A user on Youtube by username nicepeter has made many rap battles from iconic figures, Now we present our past headmaster vs. Gandalf Enjoy!:

Gandalf Vs. Dumbledore

Every month we plan to update our readers on events that are occuring on Pottermore, our information comes form the Pottermore Insider, and any other news locations that are credible.
Currently on Pottermore Insider, they have displayed beta-user submitted artwork for every chapter in book one and revealed. So far we have presented chapters one- three this month we will show chapetrs 4-6: here are some of the favorites from HM crew:

Ch 4: Keeper fo the Keys

Ch 5: Diagon Alley

Ch 6:The Journey from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:05 pm

User Image
Hello Readers! For the January issue, I really wanted to do something profound, this being the start of a new year; I thought It would be fitting. Doing just that is easier said than done however, and I found myself struggling to meet all of my own demands. I wanted to do something grand, inspiring, and that would make you glad to be a human being living in today's day and age. Until I hit upon these strange buildings.

Ahah, buildings. Usually they're inescapably square or angular, but when someone breaks out of that shell the result is often quite striking. Is it grand? Yes indeed, not only by definition of literal size, but also the scope that goes along with it. There is a large number of people involved when constructing a building, a huge amount of people who all work toward an individual creative idea: to me that's powerful. But you can decide for yourself.

User Image
This building is the corporate home office of Longarberger, a basket making company located in Newark, Ohio. It was founded by Dave Longaberger who refused to be deterred when people failed to take him seriously when he talk him that he wanted their home office to be a giant basket.

User Image
Krzywy Domek is in Sopot, Poland. The name roughly translates to Crooked House and is part of a shopping center. Based on the drawings of illustrators Jan Marcin Szancer and Per Dahlberg. This building looks to me like something straight out of Wonderland, and it makes the child within me leap with glee. I think that too often with age we dismiss our whimsical imaginations of youth, and so I'm always incredibly pleased when I see "grown up" things that could have been pulled from one of my childhood dreams.

User Image
The Community Bookshelf is one of my favorites. Taking a boring old public Library parking garage and making it an enormous bookshelf for your average 25 by 9ft book. Located in Kansas City, MO, there are a total of 22 titles represented that were chosen by the community. The titles include books from Goin to Kansas City by Nathan W. Pearson to Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Suess to A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

User Image
This one is a place called "Wonderworks" in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. It's a kid’s discovery museum type of place. Their Mission Statement says: "WonderWorks challenges the mind, sparks the imagination and leads the way as the top interactive attraction. Through innovation, entertainment and affordability, WonderWorks turns fun upside down and inspires lasting memories for guests of all ages." Kinda goofy, and cheesy, but I think it's an honorable goal, to encourage kids to think at about things from all angles.

I found these as part of a list @
50 Most Strange and Unusual Buildings Around the World
Some of the images are links if you'd like more information about these places.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:07 pm

◘ Hagrids Pet ◘

This month I have chosen, the almost mythical creature, known as Nargles.

The Nargle is a creature that Luna Lovegood and Xenophilius Lovegood believe exists, though not many others do. The Nargle is known to infest mistletoe and to be a mischievous thief. Luna Lovegood claims that her Butterbeer cork necklace and her radish earrings keeps the Nargles away and that her papers and shoes were taken by Nargles.

When Harry Potter and Cho Chang were about to kiss under the mistletoe just prior to Christmas 1995, Harry jokes that Nargles may be infesting it. Cho, who had never heard Luna discuss her belief in this creature, was confused, so Harry let the topic drop.

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:08 pm

◘ New Years Resolution ◘

Yes it is not HP related but we are people and it relates to us smile
Since it is the month of January and the first has recently passed....HAPPY NEW YEAR! and a custom many people take apart of in the New Year is making a resolution, a task or objective to push of the New Year, here are some facts about how resolutions turn out:
40 to 45% of American adult make one or more resolutions each year.

Among the top new years resolutions are resolutions about weight loss, exercise, and stopping to smoke. Also popular are resolutions dealing with better money management / debt reduction.

The following shows how many of these resolutions are maintained as time goes on:
- past the first week: 75%
- past 2 weeks: 71%
- after one month: 64%
- after 6 months: 46%

While a lot of people who make new years resolutions do break them, research shows that making resolutions is useful. People who explicitly make resolutions are 10 times more likely to attain their goals than people who don't explicitly make resolutions.

Now whatever your resolution may be, good luck and remember, a resolution should not give you stress

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:09 pm

The Hogwarts Monthly continues on the next page ----------->

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas