Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Cultures and their Gods Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:54 pm
TeaDidikai
Noirkaze
Quote:
Shrine turning away someone based on ethnicity. Perhaps they do.

Quote:
I’ve also seen many deities being worshiped by other civilizations under the same name. Look at Egypt and Greece.
Congrats. You're a softpolytheist.

I personally find it insulting to assume that a couple traits make someone the same as another person.

I am not Nuri for example, simply because I am female and spend time in this guild.

In mythology there are a few stories about gods of a particular culture visiting other regions. I may not have phrased that well. Apollon flies off to Hyperion, the land of apples. This has been said to be Wales. I don't know. Dyonosos is said to have lived in Egypt.

I am not saying that Horus is Apollo because they are "Sun" deity.
I see. It would appear I misread.

Interesting- though I am curious as to the support for Apollo going to Wales. confused

I swear to have read this somewhere. It certainly wouldn't suprise me. The Romans took their gods everywhere, and Apollo was pretty much a direct lift.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:09 pm
Nuri

I swear to have read this somewhere. It certainly wouldn't suprise me. The Romans took their gods everywhere, and Apollo was pretty much a direct lift.
I'm not sure this is a fair assessment.

While I know that the Roman Empire had no qualms absconding with YHVH, at the same time, to suggest that all the polytheistic gods were lifted from other cultures seems to do a disservice to the actual mythology and the differences present.  

TeaDidikai

Noirkaze

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:18 pm
TeaDidikai
Nuri

While I know that the Roman Empire had no qualms absconding with YHVH, at the same time, to suggest that all the polytheistic gods were lifted from other cultures seems to do a disservice to the actual mythology and the differences present.

I agree to a point. To say all would be incorrect. When you share common borders ideas and thoughts tend to be shared or absorbed easily. Or easier.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:31 pm
TeaDidikai
Nuri

The Romans were incredibly, and for good or ill, syncretic. They liked to equate gods with each other. When they encountered the Greeks, they took some, like Apollo, as direct lifts, others they equated (Ares and Mars, for instance). I don't dismiss their views wholesale, but remember that the Romans had different ideas of the gods to begin with.

They also took their gods with then to the places they took over. I swear, this is covered in Pagan Roman Britain by Anne Ross, but my copy seems to have been eaten by my bookshelves.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:00 am
Nuri

The Romans were incredibly, and for good or ill, syncretic. They liked to equate gods with each other. When they encountered the Greeks, they took some, like Apollo, as direct lifts, others they equated (Ares and Mars, for instance). I don't dismiss their views wholesale, but remember that the Romans had different ideas of the gods to begin with.

They also took their gods with then to the places they took over. I swear, this is covered in Pagan Roman Britain by Anne Ross, but my copy seems to have been eaten by my bookshelves.
I'll have to get a copy. I wonder if it has more information on Ancasta.

That said, the ones they lifted directly are adopted deities. The ones they equated- not so much.

Also, there are a great deal of deities that while they share a similar spelling, there are slight differences in name itself and dramatic differences in the deity and it's mythology.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:45 am
The Kami of Japan are tied to Japan...
However, a Shinto-pomorphic religion that places the local Genus as Kami (different Kami, not, of course, the specific Kami of Japan), would that be considered culturally inappropriate?
What if the practitioner was, in point of fact, Shinto in Japan before they relocated?

Also, I meant to ask... how far can an adopting culture go with creative license before their lifted deity becomes something else?  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:21 pm
Fiddlers Green
The Kami of Japan are tied to Japan...
However, a Shinto-pomorphic religion that places the local Genus as Kami (different Kami, not, of course, the specific Kami of Japan), would that be considered culturally inappropriate?
What if the practitioner was, in point of fact, Shinto in Japan before they relocated?
It is my understanding that the Kami themselves are a form of spirit within the Shinto faith and that they do not exist outside of the Islands of the Pacific.

A local Genus would be something other than a Kami just as I am something other than a Brit.

Quote:
Also, I meant to ask... how far can an adopting culture go with creative license before their lifted deity becomes something else?
Might very well depend on the deity, no?

If the deity enjoys the new mythos- not sure the deity wouldn't indulge, divide itself, or otherwise join said culture. That or it could merely generate a very powerful thoughtform.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:57 pm
TeaDidikai
Nuri

That said, the ones they lifted directly are adopted deities. The ones they equated- not so much.

Also, there are a great deal of deities that while they share a similar spelling, there are slight differences in name itself and dramatic differences in the deity and it's mythology.

Well, yes, remember which side I argue on. I will fight to the end that Ares and Mars are different beings -- the fact that they were equated can tell me something about both their natures, but they are different.

I can't discount the Romans wholesale from my Hellenic religion.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:42 pm
Nuri

Well, yes, remember which side I argue on.
Hadn't forgotten for a moment. twisted  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:11 pm
Nuri
TeaDidikai
Nuri

Well, yes, remember which side I argue on. I will fight to the end that Ares and Mars are different beings -- the fact that they were equated can tell me something about both their natures, but they are different.

I can't discount the Romans wholesale from my Hellenic religion.

I coudn't ever say that Mars and Ares are the same. Similar yes, same no.

Looks like I'll have to go hunting for a new book to add to the collection.  

Noirkaze

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:34 pm
Noirkaze

Likewise. Though- how a god of herds and agriculture is akin to a patron of fighters...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:40 pm
TeaDidikai
Noirkaze

Likewise. Though- how a god of herds and agriculture is akin to a patron of fighters...

Protecting your herds and fields? If you can't defend your land, then it may not be yours for long. Just a first thought  

maenad nuri
Captain

Gideon Starorzewski

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:42 am
I think it really is far too presumptuous of someone to delineate whom can worship or contact what deity. It's rather up to them who they want to deal with.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:56 am
Nuri

Protecting your herds and fields? If you can't defend your land, then it may not be yours for long. Just a first thought
Fair enough I guess.

Gideon Starorzewski
I think it really is far too presumptuous of someone to delineate whom can worship or contact what deity. It's rather up to them who they want to deal with.
And when the god themself states as much?

I think it is just as presumptuous to suggest that a person gets to cherry pick dieties who have clearly stated that they are not for them.  

TeaDidikai

Tagra Nar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:40 pm
TeaDidikai
And when the god themself states as much?

I think it is just as presumptuous to suggest that a person gets to cherry pick dieties who have clearly stated that they are not for them.

And if the god allows the person to worship in a way different from the ancient form or cultural norm?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff