Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Calling who? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:37 pm
TeaDidikai
Nuri
Well, then you just have the idiots again....
Well... yeah.

Going back to the choosing two deities thing. Why does it seem like it is not from the same pantheon but from different ones? And not always a male/female patron.

For example: Loki/Coyote

Athena/Isis

or back to the male female examples I have seen.

Raiden/Athena

Edit: For any confused, I had forgotten to put the not in front of always. Sorry.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:49 pm
jaden kendam

Going back to the choosing two deities thing. Why does it seem like it is not from the same pantheon but from different ones?

Because that's what happens when people treat gods like tools and theology like a salad bar?

Quote:
And always a male/female patron.

For example: Loki/Coyote

Athena/Isis

or back to the male female examples I have seen.

Raiden/Athena
This stems from how popular a dualistic gender theos is in the pagan scene. Mostly as a result of Softpatheism catching like Wild Fire with the invention of "non-Traditional" Wicca.  

TeaDidikai

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:13 pm
TeaDidikai
This stems from how popular a dualistic gender theos is in the pagan scene. Mostly as a result of Softpatheism catching like Wild Fire with the invention of "non-Traditional" Wicca.
It must be that whole "earth/nature-based spirituality" thing.

TeaDidikai
jaden kendam

Going back to the choosing two deities thing. Why does it seem like it is not from the same pantheon but from different ones?

Because that's what happens when people treat gods like tools and theology like a salad bar?
Is it better or worse when They're "really all the same god/dess anyway"?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:50 am
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai
jaden kendam

Is it better or worse when They're "really all the same god/dess anyway"?
In my opinion? Worse.

At least a Softpolytheist can justify their choices because of their belief. Mind you, there is a habit within softpolytheism to treat names like phone numbers which, from what I have seen, annoys a fair few deities.

But unless they are doing it around me, I don't have to worry about it.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:47 am
TeaDidikai

. Mind you, there is a habit within softpolytheism to treat names like phone numbers which, from what I have seen, annoys a fair few deities.

Would you mind elaborating? I'm not sure what you mean by 'treating names like phone numbers'
3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:51 am
patch99329
TeaDidikai

. Mind you, there is a habit within softpolytheism to treat names like phone numbers which, from what I have seen, annoys a fair few deities.

Would you mind elaborating? I'm not sure what you mean by 'treating names like phone numbers'
3nodding

Pretend that there is but one god. That it represents itself in a number of different ways and is called different things. If you call it on it's cell, and it reacts a different way than if you call it at home or at work. Those reactions are what the phone numbers evoke.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:02 am
Ah I see!

Makes alot of sense!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:55 pm
TeaDidikai
Pretend that there is but one god. That it represents itself in a number of different ways and is called different things. If you call it on it's cell, and it reacts a different way than if you call it at home or at work. Those reactions are what the phone numbers evoke.

Quick question, mostly for clarification and the benefit of the studio audience Tea...

Let's take the Roman habit of pirating gods from other cultures and tweeking them.
Would the altered, Roman version of say, a Hellenic god be a new god, birthed from their belief, even tho they might have considered it simply the name of address they would use for the same entity? ninja  

Fiddlers Green

SonarP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:30 am
^_^ Always nice to have people swarming 'ere.

I've always been attracted to the element of water, which explains Poseidon/Neptune (however, I feel that the two are different.).

I'm also very attracted to the feline family, and music as well.

Lately, though, I've been having a lot of water dreams..and I know they do have meaning for me, I just gotta figure it out. >.> I'll need to find some tools to interpret my own dreams.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:13 pm
SonarP

I've always been attracted to the element of water, which explains Poseidon/Neptune (however, I feel that the two are different.).

Lately, though, I've been having a lot of water dreams..and I know they do have meaning for me, I just gotta figure it out. >.> I'll need to find some tools to interpret my own dreams.

When you are having such dreams, just ask, "why?"  

jaden kendam

SonarP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:12 pm
jaden kendam
SonarP

When you are having such dreams, just ask, "why?"

Okay.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:52 am
Fiddlers Green

Quick question, mostly for clarification and the benefit of the studio audience Tea...

Let's take the Roman habit of pirating gods from other cultures and tweeking them.
Would the altered, Roman version of say, a Hellenic god be a new god, birthed from their belief, even tho they might have considered it simply the name of address they would use for the same entity? ninja
Honestly, in most cases I think the assertion is an over simplification that came from looking at Hellenic mythology through modern eyes.

For example, there are dramatic differences between Mars and Aries when you look beneath the popular mythology.

I also argue that because deities share common interests and to a certain extent, experiences- that doesn't make them the same person.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:44 pm
Oh, I am well aware of several differences between Mars and Aries... however, my point is more one of origin and nature of entity.
Actually, a stronger case can be made for Mars being a pilfered god from the Etruscans, but that's hardly the point.
The point being, if a culture steals a deity from another culture, then starts altering the particulars of said divinity's lore, and the means of worship, has it birthed a new god, or is it just wrong? Or, mayhaps, as unlikely as it may be, is it okay so long as the god doesn't seem to mind.
ninja

Bascially, how much Syncretism is allowed before it becomes rank blasphemy.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:10 pm
Fiddlers Green
Oh, I am well aware of several differences between Mars and Aries... however, my point is more one of origin and nature of entity.
Actually, a stronger case can be made for Mars being a pilfered god from the Etruscans, but that's hardly the point.
The point being, if a culture steals a deity from another culture, then starts altering the particulars of said divinity's lore, and the means of worship, has it birthed a new god, or is it just wrong? Or, mayhaps, as unlikely as it may be, is it okay so long as the god doesn't seem to mind.
ninja

Bascially, how much Syncretism is allowed before it becomes rank blasphemy.
I'm suggesting that it isn't either of the options presented.

That the individual god exists prior to other cultural encounters, and that what looks like "god damn stealing" (Oh! So Punny!) is actually more of a human's desire to make connections. That is to say, that the origin of the given deity is present in the culture that is called by it without any connection to another beyond what mankind makes up.  

TeaDidikai

EternalHearts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:01 pm
Sonar, I suggest you learn about the cultures and mythos behind the deities taht draw you--learn about the mythos of Their families. I knew that I was called to worship the Hellenic gods simply because almost every time I prayed/performed ritual for the Celtic gods, I felt empty. I knew the the Greek myths had always been important to me, so when I explored Their worship, I knew that was where I belonged.

And I must reiterate the questions of others, modified slightly: why patrons? I don't have any, and am perfectly happy. I do feel drawn to certain Deities for various reasons, but like Nuri mentioned, those connections are because of my work, hobbies and relationships.

Don't take something like patron relationships lightly, nor should you take the worship of the Gods lightly either.

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff