Preference?
  Tarja.
  Anette.
  I don't like Nightwish.
  I don't care.
View Results

My Lovely Ora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:57 pm
Given time I'm sure Anette's vocal range will improve too.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:48 am
Rellik San
ShadowLotus
Yes I must agree, the vocals are not very impressive. The songs seem great but just her singing just isn't nearly the range it should be.

-lets off a sigh- just today I was in a goth rock thread and when I mentioned Nightwish they told me it wasn't goth rock... that is was simply a metal band. Anyone here agree with me?

I don't know, its kind of hard to find a classically trained opera singer like Tarja, who'll willingly perform metal and not be a complete diva. I actually like the new direction they are taking, its still big and grandiose but with an edge that makes them much more accessible.

As for what Nightwish were... thats simple, they were neither Goth Rock or Metal, they were Opera, whether or not people like it, its the truth.

i would rather call it symphonic metal... you can not denei the metal sound in there songs  

doom1000

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:02 am
doom1000
Rellik San
ShadowLotus
Yes I must agree, the vocals are not very impressive. The songs seem great but just her singing just isn't nearly the range it should be.

-lets off a sigh- just today I was in a goth rock thread and when I mentioned Nightwish they told me it wasn't goth rock... that is was simply a metal band. Anyone here agree with me?

I don't know, its kind of hard to find a classically trained opera singer like Tarja, who'll willingly perform metal and not be a complete diva. I actually like the new direction they are taking, its still big and grandiose but with an edge that makes them much more accessible.

As for what Nightwish were... thats simple, they were neither Goth Rock or Metal, they were Opera, whether or not people like it, its the truth.

i would rather call it symphonic metal... you can not denei the metal sound in there songs

Yes there is metal in there in which case, by your reasoning the rocky horror show isn't a musical because its got rock numbers instead of show tunes. You can't really call Nightwish symphonic metal, as they sound nothing like a symphony (only a few songs have a full orchestra and choir), must of time its an Operatic tone played by an orchestra that happens to include electric guitars. To call them symphonic metal, is like saying because they have metal elements its a lower form of art then opera. Its like these kids that go on "oh I hate rap, rap sucks, but Rage Against the Machine rule." just because they rap over metal, it doesn't mean its not rap, its the same problem I have with the way the classical community treat Apocalyptica, just because they play classical with metal they are snubbed.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:04 am
As a side note, though Tarja is what one would term a handsome woman, Anette provides much better eye candy.  

Rellik San
Crew

darkcrimsongoth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:58 am
I like the old and the new nightwish. It does take a little bit of time to get used to it, but I like it. Tarja and Annette are bothe good vocalists, but they are both different.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 am
I like both, really. They're both very talented singers with different styles, and Nightwish obviously doesn't sound the same as it did when Tarja was still in the band. Nevertheless, I do think that Tarja's voice was better with the stronger, heavy and epic songs.

I have accepted the new Nightwish and I guess that's all I can do about it. And if I get sick of new Nightwish, I can always listen to their old stuff biggrin

As for looks, that shouldn't matter. Nightwish isn't about pretty female singers.  

shadowcat715

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:00 am
shadowcat715
I like both, really. They're both very talented singers with different styles, and Nightwish obviously doesn't sound the same as it did when Tarja was still in the band. Nevertheless, I do think that Tarja's voice was better with the stronger, heavy and epic songs.

I have accepted the new Nightwish and I guess that's all I can do about it. And if I get sick of new Nightwish, I can always listen to their old stuff biggrin

As for looks, that shouldn't matter. Nightwish isn't about pretty female singers.

Yeah but it works wonders for the video's though.

And actually I thought Nightwish was all about pretty female singers, you know, them being Opera with metal trimmings.

Whilst were on looks anyone else think in her new video Tarja looks like the b*****d offspring of Adam Ant and Kate Bush?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:10 pm
Yeah, I think I prefer Tarja more. But, however, I'm not going whine about her being fired like some early Nightwish fans. Some say she was the 'heart and soul', 'she made Nightwish', and even maybe 'she was Nightwish.'
She wasn't Nightwish. She was the vocalist. She was a very talented and accomplished woman but she wasn't priceless. But Anette she isn't a bad singer, I'm sure she's quite good. I've listened to her, I like several of the songs on Dark Passion Play, but if she were to get rid of her more pop sound to her voice I would like pee myself with excitement XD. The one song on their album Dark Passion Play that I hate. It's called "The Cadence of Her Breath". I think it reminds me too much of Evanescence's vocalist; Amy Lee. And I hate Evanescence -.-.

Done! XD

Acid_Tape

shadowcat715

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:44 am
Nesupa Koishii
Yeah, I think I prefer Tarja more. But, however, I'm not going whine about her being fired like some early Nightwish fans. Some say she was the 'heart and soul', 'she made Nightwish', and even maybe 'she was Nightwish.'
She wasn't Nightwish. She was the vocalist. She was a very talented and accomplished woman but she wasn't priceless. But Anette she isn't a bad singer, I'm sure she's quite good. I've listened to her, I like several of the songs on Dark Passion Play, but if she were to get rid of her more pop sound to her voice I would like pee myself with excitement XD. The one song on their album Dark Passion Play that I hate. It's called "The Cadence of Her Breath". I think it reminds me too much of Evanescence's vocalist; Amy Lee. And I hate Evanescence -.-.

Done! XD

Yeah, I agree with your point about the pop sound to her voice, and her voice is a little too quiet. Doesn't change the fact that she's still a talented singer though. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:44 pm
to put it simple
i hate it
anette sucks
i dont like her voice its too poppy and diva like
tarja will always be the best
new nightwish = bad  

xX x0mbie Xx

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:15 pm
People who say Tarja was the heart and soul, seem to forget its Toumas who writes, arranges and composes all the songs, I think that qualifies him as the heart and soul. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:58 pm
Rellik San
People who say Tarja was the heart and soul, seem to forget its Toumas who writes, arranges and composes all the songs, I think that qualifies him as the heart and soul. biggrin

yes people do forget that but when people say heart and soul they mean that the VOCALS had more heart and soul. Tarja sang all the songs with a certain passion and emotion that fitted the songs. Annette's voice in my opinion anyways sounds very contribed for the songs, like she has to force emotion or character, where Tarja simply didn't.  

Fallentowards

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:56 am
Fallentowards
Rellik San

yes people do forget that but when people say heart and soul they mean that the VOCALS had more heart and soul. Tarja sang all the songs with a certain passion and emotion that fitted the songs. Annette's voice in my opinion anyways sounds very contribed for the songs, like she has to force emotion or character, where Tarja simply didn't.

Yes but Tarja had what? 11 Albums and god knows how many tours to perfect her vocals? Maybe when Anette has been as prolific, only then should you make comment on it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:01 pm
Rellik San
Fallentowards
Rellik San

Yes but Tarja had what? 11 Albums and god knows how many tours to perfect her vocals? Maybe when Anette has been as prolific, only then should you make comment on it.

No such thing as perfect. And tours do not "perfect" how much heart and emotion you put into a song, it can better your singing, with strenghth, tone, pitch...the whole s**t and she-bang. The emotion is entirely within the singer and how much they wish to put forth. And don't even try to tell me again that I can't make such comments, I sing, I'm going into University for it, it does not take 11 albums and many many tours to put heart into the singer. The singer is the heart.  

Fallentowards

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:20 pm
Fallentowards
Rellik San
Fallentowards
Rellik San

No such thing as perfect. And tours do not "perfect" how much heart and emotion you put into a song, it can better your singing, with strenghth, tone, pitch...the whole s**t and she-bang. The emotion is entirely within the singer and how much they wish to put forth. And don't even try to tell me again that I can't make such comments, I sing, I'm going into University for it, it does not take 11 albums and many many tours to put heart into the singer. The singer is the heart.

Oh please, the singer is never the heart the composer always is. You can put emotion in it until your blue in the face, but unless the composer can drive the band to their best or writes a good song, then a bad song is still a bad song. Tarja if anything probably used less emotion then Anette... bare in mind, off stage, Tarja would have little to do with the band, going so far as to travel on a separate plane then them, you can't tell me that sort of detachment from the band and composer can generate emotion when the lyrics are sung. She's a good singer, but she was entirely business through and through.  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff