Maddy
Crew

Beloved Lunatic

19,050 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:39 pm
Shopping_Spree_101
I believe that Q is not a god. Ya know the Q who killed himself? he said that the Q aren't omnipotent, and if my memory serves me, he may have said they aren't gods. My theory is that they are simply a more advanced telekinetic nonhumanoid speices that can also affect the dimensions including time. Therefore they have created their own dimension, the Q continuum. they claim to have always existed, but perhaps they have merely existed for so long they have forgotten their beginning, and with no one to remind them, and a proud streak that compells them to portray themselves as gods, they have declared that they have no beginning. How many of you remember being born after only a decade or two? Think about thousands of years. Plus with time travel, it's just as good as having always existed.

That's my stand. What's yours? I'd love to debate with someone who thinks they are gods.

To have a beginning and an end, they have to live linearly. You can argue they are and you'll find a lot in canon to back you up, tho... the Continuum is complicated and so are the Q.
But then The Prophets are not linear and they don't have a beginning. Does it mean you'll consider them gods because they have always existed?

Mind you, I agree that the Qs are not gods. They are just another species in the universe. But what people decide to worship is up to them, and even if they are not by my definition, they could be by someone else's one.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:04 pm
I think Q are Gods. Why they can make anything appear as they desire. say flowers, a planet, your great great grandfather... Q has all the abilities of a god, so doesn't that make him a god? The Q continuum is continuous No beginning no end just like God. a Q can make another Q mortal, just like God can make some other God mortal (I really don't know the characters in the Bible no offense eh.) Q can kill you then revive you okay I'm not sure about God, he just lets you go to heaven... ummm yea. Anyway Q can be anywhere he likes, so can god. (actually vice versa). So unless we can get into a higher plain of view and understanding of the Q, they are gods.  

EFSpartan

Ich_Liebe_Deutschland

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:13 pm
EFSpartan
I think Q are Gods. Why they can make anything appear as they desire. say flowers, a planet, your great great grandfather... Q has all the abilities of a god, so doesn't that make him a god? The Q continuum is continuous No beginning no end just like God. a Q can make another Q mortal, just like God can make some other God mortal (I really don't know the characters in the Bible no offense eh.) Q can kill you then revive you okay I'm not sure about God, he just lets you go to heaven... ummm yea. Anyway Q can be anywhere he likes, so can god. (actually vice versa). So unless we can get into a higher plain of view and understanding of the Q, they are gods.

First of all, I'd like to say that I am Shopping_Spree_101 (my account was hacked, hence the different username) so I'll be taking over this thread.

An interesting point of view, however one of the Q does admit that they are not omnipotent. They obviously can alter matter and energy, thus "creating" objects. As far as people, perhaps they can do something similar to holograms, which they could do if they can alter matter and energy. They are obviously not omniscient, nor omnipresent. Their power seems to mostly reside in the ability to control matter and energy, plus the ability to time travel.

And as far as biblical things you mentioned:
Christians believe in only one God in three persons (don't worry, we don't fully understand it either). Jesus was fully God and fully man at the same time. God can most certainly raise people from the dead, he did so countless times in the bible. Just some good basics to know if you're ever talking to a Christian about the bible.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:34 pm
Okay god does revive people, thanks for the heads up... (I knew god COULD do it I just didn't know if he actually did it... So Now I know for sure)

Oh your got hacked? I did too eh... I only have starter clothes now...lol  

EFSpartan

The Real Meltinus

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:49 am
If anyone here besides me has read I, Q, by John "Q" de Lancie himself, you'd find that the Q are not all powerful. And there is a separate entity named God. So they aren't Gods, nor are the all powerful. Oh, and they were created by the M Continuum.  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:24 pm
I don't think they are gods. Q hinted on his second meeting with them, while he tried tempting Riker with Q powers, that humans may evolve beyond the Q someday. How would you evolve beyond a god?  

Dave Lister_3

Call Me Janeway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:46 pm
I don't believe in such thigs as gods... I would say that the Q continuum are so powerful and so far beyond human comprehension that it would be easy to interpret them as gods, when really they are just a more powerful species/life form/ etc. This sort of incident is a common theme throughout Star Trek and other sci fi shows like Stargate... where more powerful beings purport to be gods, though they are not really.

Examples: the prophets (or wormhole aliens) in deep space 9, the Q obviously... the caretaker of the ocampa in voyager...  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:00 pm
I say that the Q meet many criteria for being gods.
They can manipulate matter, time, people and situations to their own ends. They have no one to call master, but themselves.
They have many who they consider inferior to themselves, but no one who specifically considers them inferior.
Their egos alone make them god-like. mrgreen  

NiennaSayyadina

8,250 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Megathread 100

Maddy
Crew

Beloved Lunatic

19,050 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:14 am
NiennaSayyadina
I say that the Q meet many criteria for being gods.
They can manipulate matter, time, people and situations to their own ends. They have no one to call master, but themselves.
They have many who they consider inferior to themselves, but no one who specifically considers them inferior.
Their egos alone make them god-like. mrgreen

What would be the criteria used to separate gods from other beings?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:11 pm
The Q are certainly god like when outside their normal realm. But they are not gods. They are just another species. Wasn't it in Star Trek: Voyager where the Q were having a civil war and only their weapons were capable of making each other bleed?
And the Q who committed suicide; wasn't he also made into a "human" in order to succeed? Even in TNG when Q was temporarily stripped of his powers he became just.... a normal human. Although a little obscure in that context.

But regardless, I do not see them as gods. Just another species that appear to be rather god like.  

Seth Riegan

Feral Storyteller

The Angry Therapist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:19 am
Emi Uoza
The Q aren't Gods. They even say they aren't.

They do say that.  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces