Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Illusion and Magic Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:39 am
TatteredAngel
Ehhhh... without a whole lot of personal knowledge of such myself, it's really hard for me to make that kind of call. I've never read about it or anything, so please bear with me, because I don't fully understand what was done. Did they build the things and attribute their awesomeness to the gods? Or did they build things that worked by explainable mechanics, and then offer a magical explanation in place of the mechanical one, even with the knowledge that said mechanical explanation was available. If that was the case, I'd have to ask why.
The latter. As to why? It is what the people were looking for to my understanding.

Pelta
TeaDidikai
Pelta

Someone throwing cards at an audience amazes people but doesn't really accomplish anything besides lightening their wallets, which of course is magic in its own right but not the sort that I would condone in a religious setting.
Why not? Why would it be wrong for clergy to use special effects for profit (prophet? wink ) within a religious setting?
If that's all they're doing, then yes, in my book it's wrong. I see nothing wrong with using special effects to enhance a ritual. But if all they are offering are pretty pictures then I'm off to another religion. Sorry, something has to have more than fancy card tricks to offer me spiritual satisfaction.

Why would meeting someone elses needs over your own make it "wrong"?
Further- if people wish to pay for a mythology and an illusion- why should the clergy not accept payment for their effort?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:06 am
TeaDidikai
Pelta
TeaDidikai
Pelta

Someone throwing cards at an audience amazes people but doesn't really accomplish anything besides lightening their wallets, which of course is magic in its own right but not the sort that I would condone in a religious setting.
Why not? Why would it be wrong for clergy to use special effects for profit (prophet? wink ) within a religious setting?
If that's all they're doing, then yes, in my book it's wrong. I see nothing wrong with using special effects to enhance a ritual. But if all they are offering are pretty pictures then I'm off to another religion. Sorry, something has to have more than fancy card tricks to offer me spiritual satisfaction.

Why would meeting someone elses needs over your own make it "wrong"?
I don't follow. Assuming we're talking about a religion here, ie. a highly personal thing, if it wasn't fulfilling my needs I should see no reason why I should put up with it. I am approaching it from a personal standpoint. What others would appreciate is up to them.

Quote:
Further- if people wish to pay for a mythology and an illusion- why should the clergy not accept payment for their effort?
I never said they shouldn't. Payment was never an issue.  

Pelta

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:23 am
Pelta
Someone throwing cards at an audience amazes people but doesn't really accomplish anything besides lightening their wallets,

This is where I disagree. The experience can be very moving and meaningful when done correctly.

Pelta
but not the sort that I would condone in a religious setting.

Quote:
If that's all they're doing, then yes, in my book it's wrong.

And I am asking what makes it wrong?

Quote:
I don't follow. Assuming we're talking about a religion here, ie. a highly personal thing, if it wasn't fulfilling my needs I should see no reason why I should put up with it.

There's tolerance and then there's participation.

But your saying you wouldn't condone what another person does even after it isn't affecting you- or am I misunderstanding?

Quote:
I am approaching it from a personal standpoint.
Perhaps it might be best for you to try to approch it from a philosophical stand point? I understand your faith has no room for anything outside of your sphere, but this isn't really about your personal experiences- it's about concepts outside of your faith and practice- such as that of the ancient Greeks and Egyptians.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff