Submit

Toasterladd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:06 pm
SarahArden
Nero PsyKoTiX
Satanic-Warrior
I thought him was more of an emo band.

...In what possible way?

Dude, I agree with Nero, HIM is not emo.

same. HIM is not emo. MCR andPANIC! are. Strict diffrence.In fact, HIM isnt officially gothic, but thats the closest genre. Anyways, my favorite songs are Vampire Heart, and Rip out the Wings of a Butterfly. I dont care what you say!!!
the second is great!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:43 pm
Toasterladd
SarahArden
Nero PsyKoTiX
Satanic-Warrior

...In what possible way?

same. HIM is not emo. MCR andPANIC! are. Strict diffrence.In fact, HIM isnt officially gothic, but thats the closest genre. Anyways, my favorite songs are Vampire Heart, and Rip out the Wings of a Butterfly. I dont care what you say!!!
the second is great!
Neither of those bands are emo either.
=/

Nero PsyKoTiX

wickerseer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:32 pm
MCR is pop punk with a bit of glam, and panic is well...pop punk with some electronics and a bit of big-beat mixed in.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:24 am
Quote:
Emo is a style of rock music. Since its inception, emo has come to describe several independent variations of music, linked loosely but with common stylistic roots. As such, use of the term has been the subject of much debate.

In its original incarnation, the term emo was used to describe a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, DC music scene of the mid-1980s. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the DC scene and some of the regional scenes that spawned from it. The term emo was derived from the fact that, on occasion, members of a band would become spontaneously and strongly emotional during performances. The most recognizable names of the period included Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and, slightly later, Moss Icon. The first wave of emo began to fade after the breakups of most of the involved bands in the early 1990s.

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to reflect the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason put forth a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic in nature than its predecessor. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles.

Okay, now *points to thread title*
That's the topic. Stay on it  

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Toasterladd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:34 pm
does anyone here even know what emo means? i go by the original meaning. by that, MCR and PANIC! are infact emo. but oh well. live in denial. not my fault.

i retract this comment. theres to much debate between everyone. it should be a thread itself. you dont know how long these things go for at school stare usually the emo side wins. to many preps over here.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:43 pm
Toasterladd
does anyone here even know what emo means? i go by the original meaning. by that, MCR and PANIC! are infact emo. but oh well. live in denial. not my fault.
MCR and Panic! at the Disco are Emotive Hardcore?

I thought Emotive Hardcore was bands like Kill Switch Engage.

MCR are just plain Rock last time I checked and Panic at the Disc are alternative Pop.

HIM, I thought founded the genre of love metal, but in fact fit into the same category as Band's like Poison and Whitesnake (you know big ballad rock numbers)  

Rellik San
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:59 pm
Rellik San
Toasterladd

MCR are just plain Rock last time I checked and Panic at the Disc are alternative Pop.

HIM, I thought founded the genre of love metal, but in fact fit into the same category as Band's like Poison and Whitesnake (you know big ballad rock numbers)

Emo would be more City of Caterpillar than Killswitch Engage, actually. (KSE is more like metalcore - hardcore punk themes with a musical blend of heavy metal; think Bleeding Through or Trivium) ... but I've heard that there is a small connection between metalcore and emo.

But... where did a discussion on HIM suddenly become a discussion on emo? confused  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:36 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
Toasterladd

Emo would be more City of Caterpillar than Killswitch Engage, actually. (KSE is more like metalcore - hardcore punk themes with a musical blend of heavy metal; think Bleeding Through or Trivium) ... but I've heard that there is a small connection between metalcore and emo.

But... where did a discussion on HIM suddenly become a discussion on emo? confused

good question.....  

Toasterladd

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:31 am
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
Toasterladd

I really don't see the punk influence on KSE like people say, seriously, I could just be listening to the wrong songs, but Last Serenade (hardly a song about anarchy, rebellion and social disillusionment now is it) doesn't really have any punk-ish themes, also I could a sworn Trivium were Thrash metal, or at least trying to be.

To be honest I'm not gonna argue with it, but the way I have always seen it, Emotive Hardcore is bands like KSE, BFMV and the like, I don't know, it all seemed to go a bit crazy after 2003, because prior to that I have all the magazines saying KSE are Emotive Hardcore, I have friends who work within the genre calling KSE emotive hardcore and I have people that have been fans of alt. music since before half the gaia populace was even born calling them emotive hardcore. The band themselves say they are... emotive hardcore.

So either I'm old fashioned like my friends and a lot of people and the genre changed, or a lot of people, including the musicians have no idea what they are actually playing. *Shrugs* whatever... anyway, back on topic.

I'm not a big fan of HIM, I don't know why, but I have this strange dislike of them, I can't say they are bad, because they are very good at what they do and its not a thematic dislike of them, because I like Poets of the Fall who work in a similar vein to HIM. I just cant place my finger on why, I just know I don't like them.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:51 pm
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
Toasterladd

I really don't see the punk influence on KSE like people say, seriously, I could just be listening to the wrong songs, but Last Serenade (hardly a song about anarchy, rebellion and social disillusionment now is it) doesn't really have any punk-ish themes, also I could a sworn Trivium were Thrash metal, or at least trying to be.

To be honest I'm not gonna argue with it, but the way I have always seen it, Emotive Hardcore is bands like KSE, BFMV and the like, I don't know, it all seemed to go a bit crazy after 2003, because prior to that I have all the magazines saying KSE are Emotive Hardcore, I have friends who work within the genre calling KSE emotive hardcore and I have people that have been fans of alt. music since before half the gaia populace was even born calling them emotive hardcore. The band themselves say they are... emotive hardcore.

So either I'm old fashioned like my friends and a lot of people and the genre changed, or a lot of people, including the musicians have no idea what they are actually playing. *Shrugs* whatever... anyway, back on topic.

I'm not a big fan of HIM, I don't know why, but I have this strange dislike of them, I can't say they are bad, because they are very good at what they do and its not a thematic dislike of them, because I like Poets of the Fall who work in a similar vein to HIM. I just cant place my finger on why, I just know I don't like them.

(Yeah, back on topic)
Personally, I haven't really listened to them so I don't have a solid idea of whether or not I like them...
However, they have recently become something of a teeny-bopper band, and with most bands like that, I'm a little apprehensive of trying. So until I do try them, I'll just remain neutral.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

alex vengeance

Invisible Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:17 pm
That is kind of hard.H.I.M I believe is extremly talented finnish rock band.My favorites are either,'Killing Loneliness' or 'Poison Girl'.
But then...I rember the Razorblade Romance CD and it gets harder...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:05 am
yes i listen to him he is pretty good i think my favorite song out of most would be wings of a butterfly  

dante_reincarnation15

Nero PsyKoTiX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:42 am
devillovesme15
yes i listen to him he is pretty good i think my favorite song out of most would be wings of a butterfly

Last I checked bands of 2+ membership would be referred to as "they", not "he".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:37 am
Toasterladd
SarahArden
Nero PsyKoTiX
Satanic-Warrior

...In what possible way?

same. HIM is not emo. MCR andPANIC! are.

WHAT?!

Je crois que NON! Panic! is pop-punk. MCR is HORRORPUNK. Emo?! Emo is dashboard confessional, emo is hawthorne heights--well idk about them. But gawd, MCR is not emo.

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:38 am
Anyway did I ever say my favorite HIM song? Non. Kay.

Fave HIM song = drunk on shadows OR sweet pandimonium

Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces