Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Rude Discussion
So you're a streetlight manifesto fan... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Left Handed Bandit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:42 pm
I say, if you are going to listen to music, or get into the scene of a certain type of music, know its roots. You should at least know where it came from. What it's all about and listen to the roots. I have to admit, I am one of those people who jumped on the Reel Big Fish band wagon, but I want to know more. I am learning what ska is and listening to its original roots. My dad taught me the power of the classics((like the founders or bands on the frontier of thier genre)) , because all modern music evolved from them.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:03 am
rockin 'n rollin 'n whatnot  

eUAjwe4K

Astroberry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:46 pm
The article had good points, but it seemed to say that you can't be a fan of Ska if you don't study and damn well enjoy every modern-day and historical aspect of it. I understand the touchiness about people who call themselves Ska but have no knowledge of it whatsoever past the latest mainstream hits - in every other music scene that can claim its own label and lifestyle, that's called a "poser," but what gives someone the right to judge another because of a superior feeling of ownership on a music genre? So, you're a Streetlight Manifesto fan - why can't anyone else simply enjoy the music?
Other than that, the article was a great argument.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:28 pm
How is it physically possible not to know who The Skatalites, The Specials, and Laurel Aitken?

I definitely like 3rd wave ska bands, since that's how I introduced myself into ska culture, but I still thought to look back to hear the 'ska bands of yester-year' and to see how much ska's changed since the beginning.

Even if I am 'just a teenager', that doesn't mean I'm like everyone else. Begrudgingly, I'll admit to going to Warped Tour this year, even if it is just to see Big D and the Kids Table and The Matches.

I haven't heard too much of Big D's new stuff, but I have the feeling all the scene kids singing along at the show will piss me off. Especially while I'm screaming 'Scenester" at the top of my lungs, hoping they'll play it to scare away everyone but ska fans.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in this rant, is that, yes, I'm just a teen, but no, I'm not just jumping on the Big D and Streetlight Manifesto bandwagon. When other kids in school say they like ska, but the only bands they can name are those two, Catch 22, and maybe another, but they haven't even heard of The Toasters, who are still around today, I feel I have the right to get a bit angry that they think by throwing on some checkers, even if they don't know why, and going to a Less Than Jake show makes them ska.  

Zom B McFlesheater

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:05 am
Zom B McFlesheater
How is it physically possible not to know who The Skatalites, The Specials, and Laurel Aitken?

I definitely like 3rd wave ska bands, since that's how I introduced myself into ska culture, but I still thought to look back to hear the 'ska bands of yester-year' and to see how much ska's changed since the beginning.

Even if I am 'just a teenager', that doesn't mean I'm like everyone else. Begrudgingly, I'll admit to going to Warped Tour this year, even if it is just to see Big D and the Kids Table and The Matches.

I haven't heard too much of Big D's new stuff, but I have the feeling all the scene kids singing along at the show will piss me off. Especially while I'm screaming 'Scenester" at the top of my lungs, hoping they'll play it to scare away everyone but ska fans.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in this rant, is that, yes, I'm just a teen, but no, I'm not just jumping on the Big D and Streetlight Manifesto bandwagon. When other kids in school say they like ska, but the only bands they can name are those two, Catch 22, and maybe another, but they haven't even heard of The Toasters, who are still around today, I feel I have the right to get a bit angry that they think by throwing on some checkers, even if they don't know why, and going to a Less Than Jake show makes them ska.

That's a very good way to put it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:06 am
x Warren x
The article had good points, but it seemed to say that you can't be a fan of Ska if you don't study and damn well enjoy every modern-day and historical aspect of it. I understand the touchiness about people who call themselves Ska but have no knowledge of it whatsoever past the latest mainstream hits - in every other music scene that can claim its own label and lifestyle, that's called a "poser," but what gives someone the right to judge another because of a superior feeling of ownership on a music genre? So, you're a Streetlight Manifesto fan - why can't anyone else simply enjoy the music?
Other than that, the article was a great argument.

Exactly.
It's good if you like Streetlight, it really is. They are all talented musicians, but they aren't the epitome of "ska", they are just another new group.  

King Of The Ska
Captain

eUAjwe4K

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:18 pm
I'm proud of my thread. 4laugh  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:14 am
I would like to put my thread back up to the top. Just to see one more time if it will get popular again.  

eUAjwe4K

Guns of Navarone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:52 pm
Hah. all you kids and your streetlight. its not somuch of a. OMG YOUR NOT SKA ENOUGH TO LISTEN TO SKA. its more of a. Stop going around saying you're the rudest mother ******** out there because you know the words to keasbey nights.

also, I'ma guess that this is old, cuz I think he's referring to How It Goes as the new big d cd. Which is weird, cuz around here they didn't even get popular til just a while ago, and they always play their new stuff, which prolly pisses all them kids who want how it goes off. but hey, its good s**t. lol.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:01 pm
I personally have to agree with Wixon's article. I feel if you don't know your history, you dont belong to a particular subculture. weather you like the old school stuff or not is beside the point. The point is that the ideas and "ethics" of ska are rooted in its history. Unity as an idea in ska originated in the 60's as musicians sought to spread a message of kinship in a fledgling country that was filled with gang violence(rude boys were not nice people). This idea was taken into the 2 Tone era as organizations like the National Front continued to perpetrate hate crimes. anyone who reads up on the history of ska music understands that this was part of how the checker board and 2 tone logos and icons(e.g. Walt Jabsco) came into being.

today i feel that many of the younger kids coming into the scene not only are ignorant to these ideas(not a bad thing, we all were in the same boat at some point) but also have no desire to explore them. they want cookie cutter songs that boil down to nothing but pop trash with a mild dash of a syncopated guitar played on the 2nd 3rd and 4th up beat of every measure. I also see these kids distort the idea of a social and global unity into a sick idea of scene unity, aiding to further shield them selves from having to digest knowledge of anything other than what victory, hellcat, or sideonedummy records spew forth.
does that make these bands bad? well.... some of them. :3  

Slag10

The Leninator!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:00 pm
I agree with what he's saying but, being more of an old-school punk then a rude-boy I have to point out the My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy aren't even part of the new pop punk s**t- they're emo. And a better reference then Taste of Chaos as a bad punk tour with a few good bands would be the Warped Tour with a few decent songs. I just had to clarify that. I agree on him with the ska though, and I can relate to it with the punk scene- a lot of people listen to NOFX and Anti-Flag and call themselves punks or listen to Bad Religion and say that they're hard core, and I dig some of NOFX and Bad Religions stuff (and even a little of Anti-Flag's work) but you have to know the old school stuff like Bad Brains and Black Flag and The Reagan Youth.

Too many people go around listening to a little bit of an entire culture and saying they're part of it. Plus, there's no school like the old school- regardless of what direction you're coming from- style, musical talent, lyrics, or just quality of music, the new things in ska are nothing to the oldies.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:54 pm
the fact that you refer to FOB and MCR as emo proves you dont know s**t about what emo is.... but other wise i agree mostly with what you're saying... o_o  

Slag10

adian daystar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:56 am
When I first started listening to ska, it was mainly just RBF and yes, Streetlight. After I got really into it tho, I started doing research into the history of ska, and the different waves and the bands that came with them. I had a drama teacher who lent me a six disk set on the origins of ska, and even tho she was kin of a cow, I loved her so much for that. Even tho Streetlight is probably my favorite band of all time, not knowing Prince Buster, The Skatalites, The Specials... it's like an mini insult to rude culture.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:13 pm
How the hell are My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy punk? I mean, I`m a huge MCR fan, but I know they aren`t punk.

Honestly, I don`t care if you don`t know what you`re talking about if you`re new to a kind of music. I mean, I`m new to ska. Getting new fans keeps the music going. But if you say you love a genre and don`t care to learn about it, and don`t show any interest when people try to teach you or give you some bands to listen to...then you shouldn`t act like you`re the world`s biggest fan.

I get if you don`t really like the older bands in a genre, but you should at least show them respect because if it wasn`t for them, you wouldn`t have your *insert more recent band here*. I mean, the original ska bands sounded A LOT different than some of the more pop punkish ska bands of today, so if you like those bands, I see that you may not be into the original bands. But you should at least listen a bit just to gain a better understanding of the genre.

Oh, and sometimes when people just discover a new type of music and really love it, they do things that they find out have to do with that scene to show their new found passion for the music. And in that case...why not be supportive and educate them? They`ll make damn good fans eventually.  

Carousel Core

Bloody Mittens

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:32 pm
King Of The Ska
Melomaniacal
I kind of take offense to this, because I love Streetlight, I wear checkers, and I'm proud of my membership to the ska community. And I mean very proud. Ska is one of my biggest passions. Now, I do agree that Streetlight is by no means the best representation of ska, but they are a ska band nonetheless. Ska ranges from all kinds of sounds. My theory has always been that there is a ska band out there for everyone. Sure, it's getting further and further away from it's roots, but without evolution it would stay the same. Change is a good thing. I have met many people who love Streetlight and don't even know what ska is, and that angers me. So in that sense, I'm just like the author. But the way this was said sounds like he's saying Streetlight isn't a viable member of the ska community, and neither are you if you like Streetlight.

For the record, I listen to a very large amount of ska bands, many of which are at the roots of ska.

Ok Melomaniacal, you need to understand that you are an exception. You DO know your roots, and you DO know about ska, and that you are NOT just some bandwagon jumping teen.

It's cool to like 3rd wave if you are into that kind of thing, as long as you understand that Big D and Streetlight Manifesto AREN'T all there is to ska.

I respect you as a person and as a ska fan.
3nodding

I agree with both of you guys. I like Streetlight and i like Big D and all the third wave stuff. But i know my roots man. When i got into Ska i just wanted to learn more and more, and you know i actually like third wave best but still i listen to a fare amount of Prince Buster, Toots and the Maytals, The Specials, The English Beat, Madness, everything man, and i AM sick of kids running around going OH YEAH I'M A RUDE BOY I LISTEN TO THREE WHOLE THIRD WAVE BANDS MMM CHECKERS AND PORKPIES. Cause dude your not a rude boy unless you know your roots. Streetlight is a ska band and its ok you CAN be a rudie and like them, and there is a lot more to ska than Big D, Reel Big Fish, and Streetlight Manifesto. So in my book if you wanna be a Rudie learn your roots and check out some Traditional and some 2Tone.  
Rude Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff