TatteredAngel
How neat. I'll have to see if I can hunt that up sometime. What really interested me were the number of words used for magic, and the fact that two or three words for it would be used as if referring to separate things, but without explanation of what separated them. "Wiccecræft," "wiglunga," and "drycræft" all refer to magic (not church-sanctioned), but there is little to distinguish them.
Could have sworn that drycraeft was tied to herbalism. If I recall correctly, the difference between if it was okay or not was who was doing it. blaugh

I wanted to say that the one of the other two was a "catch all" and the other one was directed at the making of "charms". But don't quote me.

Quote:
My favorite passage was one about auguries and casting lots to determine something, written by Ælfric, a rather stodgy monk. Casting lots to forsee the future was sorcery and a big no-no. However, casting lots to best divide property was apparently frequently a good idea, and not sorcery.
Lot casting for property as I recall was proportional to one's status in the community.