Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Are we becoming hated? :/ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Maple needs some cheery-uppers...
  *Gives you cheerios*
  *Gives you yaoi*
  Give you? Shpppff... You give me gold!
View Results

retice

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:51 pm
It's also much easier for people to find the 12-year-old fangirls and their babbling than it is to find an intelligent fan. Let's face it, it's too much effort to read through an intelligent post when you can find 20-some-odd posts of "OMG YAOI FTW!!!11" and then pass judgement.
There's a stereotype with yaoi and it can't be avoided. All we can do is do our best to brush it off.
Anyway, the reason I came to like yaoi is because I like reading about boys more than girls. I like reading stories where boys act like boys. That's why the majority of my ships are slashed. But, it's laughable how characterization of some are so completely destroyed so often that there's actually two personalities to that character: canon and fanon. Take Naruto or Sora for example. I don't even have to elaborate.  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:06 pm
SilverMaple
I've noticed a lot of people saying that yaoi novels and yaoi mangas are all the same, and most are crap as they all involve girly men and smut. Yaoi is becoming one of the stereotypical cliches in novels and manga, apparently, like fantasy, farmboys-turned-heroes, and Mary Sues.

I respond with, "But... But I LOVE writing and drawing yaoi and shounen-ai stories! I don't want to do other stuff!" gonk

I generally have low self-esteem when it comes to my work so now I'm afraid people will shoot me down just for having yaoi, which automatically makes me "mainstream". sad But what if I don't care? What if I love a yaoi story, even if it is considered cliche? Is it bad to write a story like that? Besides, it's hard to make something completely original nowadays...

This is not about homophobia, but how yaoi writers and artists like myself are starting to get the bashing that Mary-Sue writers or Eragon-like writers are getting (No offense to any Eragon fans. I've never read the books, but has anyone noticed how many people hate them?).

crying I'm sad...

This is what happens when you take the GD seriously.
Seriously. Stop it. They suck.  

Elaborate Testes

User_2629207

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:52 pm
For this I shall quote Hiro from Gravitation : Every Generation needs a new kind of kick.
And every generation needs something to look down upon, even hate.
And it seems that this hated thing will be the fangirls.
It's just the way the world is...

Personally, I dont talk to people I'm not friends with about yaoi or such. They are too hateful, and they will just have another thing about me to hate.
I don't think those who act like that are even real people, you can only be a real person when you accept that some people won't walk the same way as you.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:19 am
If it's something you like and enjoy, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The best advice I can give is to ignore it and maybe, if you have the courage, defend it. Show people what a good Yaoi is, whether it be drawing or fanfiction/writing. Maybe even challenge them and ask why they think that and have they ever picked up a yaoi book or looked at a yaoi drawing. And that's all I got. sweatdrop  

JessJessDuoJessJess

jhyuuga

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:06 am
The problem is that too many yaoi doujinshi focus on the same themes and issues. I honestly wouldn't point blame on actual licensed manga/anime.

Things like Gravitation and Descendants of Darkness are like nothing else in the anime/manga world.

The true problem lies in Fan Fictions and Doujins. They're good, don't get me wrong.... I love doujins and I write a whole bunch of fanfics...

But some fanfics and doujins just make it pure smut and dirtyness. For someone who knows what the show or book is about, it doesn't really seem like a problem... but to someone who has never seen the show or book... or has never read a yaoi... They won't understand and may think that that's what yaoi is all about...

So it's a bit on everyone's head... the creators and the fan creators... but when it all boils down to it... it's because of closed mindedness...  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:34 pm
Yeah so true people hate me for the whole yaoi/shounen ai thing,
they think I'm sick for drawing yaoi or Writing my own yaoi doujinshi's
Yeah theres alot of people that think I'm a hentai and I should burn in hell for thinking of such things, but I don't really care because I know there's alot of people also that would appreciate my work which really makes me want to work harder to creating my own unique yaoi, it's not all about smut, What I really enjoy is the unpredictable love in the relationship, sure sometimes the bishie characters can get pretty stupid because they look like girls when we perfer them to be like guys and I dislike when orginal characters are out of personality, but It's not mainstream thats for sure when it turns into mainstream it's only because of the amature work of
some writer's who don't think outside the box. which then puts the rest of us in a tight spot because they start thinking we're all the same, and they make up those weird perverted thoughts by themselves we could be enjoying a yaoi comic and being inspired while they would be think about all the sexual content there is, thats all they ever think, they dont look at the beauty of it, they look at the perversion of it. But your not to blame best thing to do is ignore them for being so immature in there idea of thought, and maybe even laugh at them because they might be thinking your a perv when there actually the perverted one's.  

Artistic Repertoire

Distinct Explorer

sukuiddo

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:41 am
I say..poeple who flame us yaoi lover are just some sick close minded bit**es (excuse the word)... I bet if other people knew something bad (insert whatever word appopriate) that they done, they will be treated the same and yes.. they'll feel sad.. but they'll never even realises that is what we feel...

I think I'm getting out of the topic here.. I dunno..

just one thing.. DONT EVER LET OTHER PEOPLE'S NEGATIVE OPPINION GET INTO YOU... just take the positive ones as an advice....  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:11 pm
Who cares what other people think! Don't like or hate something just because it's cliche or mainstream or because of what others say; like it or hate it because you actually like it or hate it.  

[Romiette]

N e v i n n o s t

Dangerous Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:14 am
Scythe Shadrak
We are not becoming hated.
Rapid 12-years old horny fangirls are. The only problem is that they are giving us bad name and in the end we are being flamed too. Nothing you can do about this tho.

I agree with scythe wholeheartedly. -nods- I really hate those fangrils stare  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:53 am
You don't have to take other's negative comment to heart..If you like it, do it. Don't let other's bad remark affect you. They just don't know how to appreciate the thing you like, that's all.  

Hate To The Core

Peaches of Sodom

Quotable Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:57 pm
Yaoi is such a broad genre that such generalizations are obviously just... biased generalizations. Yes, much slash fanfiction is badly written, as is much yaoi, but for someone to take this as a sign that ALL of it is badly written is inherently ridiculous.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:40 pm
I admit that there is a lot of BAD yaoi out there, but there is good stuff as well. I love to write yaoi, but I tend to not make my stuff public. One person I know has the same views I do. In the relationship, there doesn't have to be ONE uke and ONE seme. She and I like to make the characters switch every once in a while. But we usually try to keep it with the same general area because sometimes when the characters switch, it doesn't feel right.

I remember one story she wrote where one character was completly on top of everything, strong, in control. Like a seme. Her other character was a little shy, not quite as strong, but more resourceful. Sound's like a uke, right? WRONG! Trust me, any character can be a seme when they put their minds to it. Especially when said character belongs to said friend.

I pity her ukes..... sweatdrop  

Sorinchako

bullterrierlove

Shirtless Spotter

10,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:28 pm
People have made fun of me for liking yaoi but I've learned to ignore they're comments. Most of the people that have made these remarks are homophobes anyway.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:57 am
we are rejected but not hated.. it takes time..  

HWHP

Kisa Tsuki

Dapper Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:10 am
I haven't been personally critized for liking yaoi or writing fics or reading doujins but I know many of my friends have been. It's sad that people have to put their two sence in and make something that we love seem like a bad thing. They are just the people who haven't ever read a yaoi or shonnen ai manga or watched that kind of anime, and they just simply don't understand why we love it so.  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff