Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}
What do you think about listening to non-Christian music??? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

is it wrong to listen to non-Christian music???
  yes
  no
View Results

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:24 pm
I'm pretty liberal in my choices... I honestly don't have that much Christian music because I'm poor and relatively uninformed in the Christian sector of music. I have some cool songs and bands, but honestly? The majority of my music is Broadway soundtracks and some other random secular stuff.

I will be honest, some of it is pretty R rated.

I do think that you should moniter and keep in mind what you're listening too. I'm probably being somewhat hypocritical, but I think it's important.  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:38 pm
It's not wrong at all. You see...if you let music phase who you are as a person, that is when it becomes a bad thing to listen to it. When you are capable of controlling yourself regardless of what you listen to, it isn't an issue. My issue is the people who listen to music which clearly IS inappropriate. Whereas my views are not so strict as most Christians', I believe that a lot of music is harming the minds of my kind, teenagers. I will not always be a teenager, but as far as I can tell I fear what will happen in my future once I have obtained adulthood. I'm not going into scientific details, but I will say that it has shown in some of many demented minds. Even my brother is starting to get corrupted by evil media. Anyway, the Naruto movie is on. I have to go watch it XD.  

ProphecyEmpress

Dangerous Worshipper

10,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

General Aragorn Pheonox

850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:57 pm
I do listen to some non-Christian music.

But to be honest, if it is music filled with profanity and talks of violence, you shouldn't be able to tolerate it. As a Christian, you are not supposed to be able to tolerate sin, so, ya' know, kinda bad to do it.(Not saying that all non-Christian music is like this, just alot of it.)

Besides, most of the kinds of music you can hear in the non Christian realm of sounds can be heard in the Christian realm if you look hard enough.

(Disciple=pwn)  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:12 pm
If anyone wants to continue this discussion, I'm going to move this thread to the Christian music subforum. 3nodding  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Mitsrugi-chan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:50 pm
it is wrong to because it does not glorify God  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:20 pm
I think there's nothing wrong with it as long as it's not affecting you. Music with swears, bad language, etc., is not good.  

Aroarra

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:50 am
purplesheep
a lot of christians listen to non-christian music. its something i personally wouldnt do because its not something which will feed or edify you spiritually, plus before i got saved i was a punk/goth and well into heavy metal, grunge, etc (so i wanted to leave my old life behind.)

but look at the lyrics of the songs u listen to lyrics and see what its promoting.. ask yourself is this something which God would want me to listen to? i guess thats how u know... xd

You don't like Grunge? cry *Runs off and cries in a corner*

Sorry, I'm from Seattle. wink That particular movement is one that we Seattlites are very proud of. Basically every big name Grunge band came out of our area. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice In Chains...You name it. Basically the only one we don't have is Stone Temple Pilots, who were from California.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:27 pm
Ah, grunge. I remember when my junior high school was full of "grungers." And all the girls has this weird fascination with the Tellitubbies and ring pops. >>  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:44 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Ah, grunge. I remember when my junior high school was full of "grungers." And all the girls has this weird fascination with the Tellitubbies and ring pops. >>

Mm...

I'm starting up a Grunge band right now, actually. Well, Post-Grunge...  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:09 pm
I think that we should listen to christian musci since it opens your eyes to God as your listening. On the other hand non-cristian music isn't bad unless it profanes or violates God or people.  

Corporal West

UnfaithfulBeans

Conservative Genius

12,600 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:01 pm
i was raised ONLY on Christian music.
(my mom thinks secular music is of the devil XD)

I like mix of music myself.

But my personal oppinion is to test music though Philippians 4:8:
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

So if the song sings of explisit profanhity and drug abuse, then no, it wouldent pass the "Philippians 4:8" test

But if its a cute love song about running in a field of flowers holding hands, then yes! its a "good" song.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:53 pm
We had a problem in our dance team about this... On our congregation's Israeli Dance Team, we dance worship on Shabbat, but also we dance for fun after service, and on thursdays. Many of our "for fun" songs are in Hebrew... In fact, pretty much all. No one in dance team speaks Hebrew well enough to translate, and we were dancing some pretty bad songs without knowing it. Then our Rebetzion translated them for us, and... well, we stopped dancing them.

Moral - be aware of what it is you're hearing. Even if it's in Hebrew...  

Silver Wingling

Dovisary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
I think Danielle and Ryuu pretty much covered it. But really, you may not think what you listen to affects you that much, when it does. It always does, even if in minute ways. What you do should glorify God. Would Jesus be pleased to find you listening to music that degrades women, children, or any specific group? Would He appreciate music whose lyrics constantly profane His name? I'm not saying we should all listen to worship music, but stuff that is outright un-Christian or anti-Christian should probably be more avoided than sought after. Garbage in, garbage out, you know?

I have to say I agree with this. I do listen to some non-christian music, but only if they are clean. I dont listen to things that cuss, or talk about sex, or drugs, or things like that. Basiclly, if I feel convicted about it, I stop listening to it.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:11 am
Certainly nothing wrong with it, it's good to listen to Christian music though.  

Trix Starlight

Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces