Asian.
  Pacific Islander.
View Results

Isako Narumi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:19 pm
o.0 Why are filipinos seperated though?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:12 pm
This is an ongoing, needless debate...

To me, it's kind of like asking, "Are humans/Earthlings considered aliens?" The dictionary defines an alien as, "A creature from outer space." Isn't Earth in outer space? Some people think we are aliens, while others would argue that we are not. We can't make everyone agree. To argue about it is to waste one's time. The Filipino debate is the same.

In my opinion, Filipinos and Malaysians are Asian. Every country in the world is part of a larger continent. The United States, Canada, and Mexico are located in North America, so the inhabitants of the U.S., Canada, and Mexico are North Americans.

The people of Brazil, Ecuador, and Chile are considered South Americans because the countries they live in are part of the continent of South America.

And, there isn't a continent called the Pacific Island, so Filipinos and Malaysians are not Pacific Islanders. They are Asian. Iranians, Iraqis, and Saudi Arabians are also Asian. They are sometimes called Middle Eastern, but there is no Middle East continent.

If some Pinoys and Pinays choose to consider themselves Pacific Islanders and not Asians, that's okay. It's their prerogative. But, in actuality, they are Asians.

King Henry
Crew

sheeohpaow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:00 pm
Jelai
!@#$%.
This is why I absolutely hate the U.S. census thingy.
gonk

You people SERIOUSLY need to go back to school and retake your course on geography and World History.

Filipinos = SOUTHEAST ASIANS.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

As you can see, the Philippines is NOT in the Pacific Ocean.

Sure, it's an archipelago of 7,000 islands, but
it's just near the Pacific Ocean. It does not border it.

same with Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia, Borneo...etc.

Goodness, even my World History Honors class knows what we are, and yet sadly, many Filipinos themselves don't know what they are. =/

I've been taught all my life that we're Asian, and it will remain that way.

So Asian pride! ya xp

I'm sorry.
T^T

I've been taught my whole life that I was Asian too.
But meh white friends said that I was a Pacific Islander....
crying

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:04 pm
Isako Narumi
.__. Asians at my school don't count Filipinos as "asians;" they say that we're Pacific Islanders. One of my filipino friends said that it's because we're not part of the continent. =.= But they count Japanese people as "asians" and they're not even part of the continent as well as the other countries you have mentioned.
My friends call me Asian...
Everyone does.
I don't think anyone uses "Pacific Islander".
Stupid SATs.
>;[

sheeohpaow

Evinyatar

Interstellar Prophet

8,390 Points
  • Springtime Scavenging 25
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Expert Skill 150
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:09 pm
1. I try to get around the "check your ethinicity" questions.

2. If I can't, I check "Asian." (I'm English-, Chinese-, and Malaysian-American.)  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:37 pm
I'm taking the California Standardized Testing And Reporting (STAR) exams this week D;
I just circled all the thingiez I am ._.
I circliie what my mum is and what my dad is :]
I put Irish cause I know my dad hates the fact that he has Irish in him cool
His great-great father was Irish xDD''

`Hikarii

Jelai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:57 pm
King Henry
This is an ongoing, needless debate...

To me, it's kind of like asking, "Are humans/Earthlings considered aliens?" The dictionary defines an alien as, "A creature from outer space." Isn't Earth in outer space? Some people think we are aliens, while others would argue that we are not. We can't make everyone agree. To argue about it is to waste one's time. The Filipino debate is the same.

In my opinion, Filipinos and Malaysians are Asian. Every country in the world is part of a larger continent. The United States, Canada, and Mexico are located in North America, so the inhabitants of the U.S., Canada, and Mexico are North Americans.

The people of Brazil, Ecuador, and Chile are considered South Americans because the countries they live in are part of the continent of South America.

And, there isn't a continent called the Pacific Island, so Filipinos and Malaysians are not Pacific Islanders. They are Asian. Iranians, Iraqis, and Saudi Arabians are also Asian. They are sometimes called Middle Eastern, but there is no Middle East continent.

If some Pinoys and Pinays choose to consider themselves Pacific Islanders and not Asians, that's okay. It's their prerogative. But, in actuality, they are Asians.

I can understand that, but sometimes, to those that take it to far...I hate the fact that they deny their Asian culture and try to be all...'pacific islander' like. =/

I mean, I understand that our ancestors were Austronesian and all, but...

...ah forget it. Now they're making me have an identity crisis!

gonk

>___>;;

Maybe all Filipinos should just move to Guam and Hawai'i.
ninja

=_____=;;

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:01 pm
...no.

I think what the U.S. census should've done is that, instead of calling the people from Polynesia/Micronesia/Melanesia etc. 'Pacific Islanders', they should've called them:

"Oceanians".

I don't care if it sounds weird. At least it's better than the "Asian/Pacific Islander" box, so that way there would be no nationality identity crisis.

...And also so that Filipinos do not have to be confused with belonging to the Pac. Islands group.

edit: So I just found out that the Philippines is a member of ASEAN, the Association of SOUTHEAST ASIAN Nations. The cultural links with Malaysia, Indonesia and neighboring SE Asian nations is undisputed. Ethnically and racially, Filipinos are mostly Malays.

We share closer ties to our Indonesian and Malaysian neighbors than we do to all those peeps living up in Fiji, Tahiti, Hawai'i, Kiribati, Vanuatu, French Polynesia, the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas, and the Federated States of Micronesia, Easter Island, Niue Island, Tokelau and Tuvalu, Tonga, Wallis and Futuna, Pitcairn Island, Solomon Island, Admiralty Islands, Bougainville Island, New Caledonia and Loyalty Islands, Norfolk Island, etc. you get the point. There's no way in hell am I going to list all of the islands. xp

XDDDD;

Jelai

YELLOW_FD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:58 pm
"The SATs are racist."
xd  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:13 pm
i think filipinos are asian surprised
but i why do those tests ask ur enthicity, anyways? @.@  

Paper_Penguin

o-re-sa-ma_Elegance

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:19 am
shoulda picked Asian as it is NOT in the Pacific  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:50 pm
Ehhh Im Japanese don't lump me in with everyone else.  

Oprahs Va_Jay_Jay

King Henry
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:00 pm
Paper_Penguin
i think filipinos are asian surprised
but i why do those tests ask ur enthicity, anyways? @.@
It's part of a study they do. They want to know how many Asians take the SAT every year and what is the average Asian SAT score. The US Census is the same. The government wants to know how many Asians there are in the country and what cities have the most Asian people.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:35 pm
Jelai

Then what about people from India and other parts of South Asia?
confused

In the UK, they are considered Asians while the Chinese are considered 'Oriental/Chinese'. confused

User Image Many Indians consider themselves to be Asian. Being mostly Indian (also, Chinese, Jamaican and African-American), I consider myself to be Asian. I also know that other Indians consider themselves to be Asian because I remember my mother telling me that the Indians at her office were celebrating Asian Heritage Month. When it comes to those ethnicity checks, I always fill both Black and Asian whether they like it or not. I'm not going to let them make me choose because I'm proud of all both my heritages and want people to know it.

I generally don't make a distinction between Asian or Pacific Islander, I consider both to be Asian… though my opinion probably won't account for much since I'm not Filipino.

Ouiaboo

MeltingMilkBottle

Agile Browser

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:13 pm
you are both, you are in asia with asians and you are in the southeastern part which makes you a pacific islander... Im a pacific islander myself! 3nodding  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff