Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Pull Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:06 pm
Ok, two concepts for you people.
Grounding
and
Protection

If you think of yourself as being magically inclined, the very first things you need to know how to do before ANYTHING else is grounding and protection.

OP: If you are having frequent events that you think are metaphysical, or whatever you think they are, you should really be working out ways to make sure these things don't happen in school. You have your whole life to learn about yourself but you only get to go to school in your youth. Please, sort out your priorities for your own sake.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:30 am
*shrugs* Bad things happen when I ground too much. Grounding and shielding isn't a magical cure-all, fwiw. Personally, I'd start with 'chullain's suggestions and go from there.

As an educational expansion - grounding is the act of taking excess energy and placing it in the earth. As the earth is big, people tend to assume it can take any trash we throw its way. Some people believe the earth has natural purifiers, so that even if we direct self-hate at it, it'll be fine. I don't agree, but that's a rant for another time.

Some people, like myself, "air" and "water" and "fire". Lately I've been "stoning" and "icing" as well, and in college I "treed" (I don't recommend the last; it seems to be hard on the trees and most of them are too nice to mention it).

Permanent grounding seems to be what a lot of people recommend - in other words, you create a permanent link between yourself and your receptical of choice. Mine have always been fairly thick and ropey, usually silver or copper in color. Permanent has a number of positive aspects to it, but it has negatives as well and I found the negatives too overwhelming to deal with.

Temporary grounds are more spur of the moment things, where you touch your receptical of choice in some manner and drive your energy out. Again, there are positives and negatives attached to this.

Sheilding is, for all intents and purposes, making a mental/psychic/energetic barrier between yourself and all others. See prior notes about advantages and disadvantages. A decent rule of thumb is that anything you cannot easily change is likely going to be more of a problem that an advantage. I tend to work layered, with a second layer that is reactive to other people (large groups of people/people with strong emotions == very thick) and sinks through each of the layers of sheilds so that instead of the energy being static, it flows through me and my shields. Again, my choices have advantages and disadvantages.

Shields can also be put up around a place; walls make it easier but aren't, in my experience, necessary. When I make place shields, I usually link them to a local energy source instead of myself. The mobile shields on me come from and are grounded in only me. When I do need to ground them out, I tend to do so to air, water, or ginungigap.

I haven't enumerated any of the advantages and disadvantages for a reason. Think about each scenario and what good things could come of it as well as what bad things could come from it. This is a tactical exercise. wink  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:11 am
Deoridhe
*shrugs* Bad things happen when I ground too much. Grounding and shielding isn't a magical cure-all, fwiw. Personally, I'd start with 'chullain's suggestions and go from there.

Grounding and protection are never a cure. Grounding is stabalizing and shielding is preventative.
I would have to say that they are in fact the cornerstones of a magical life. Of course they depend upon the strength of the practitioners energetic interactions so of course what works for one may not work for another.

I would agree with starting off the mental process with CĂșchullain's suggestions. Everyone has to function in reality first and foremost.

Deoridhe
As an educational expansion - grounding is the act of taking excess energy and placing it in the earth. As the earth is big, people tend to assume it can take any trash we throw its way. Some people believe the earth has natural purifiers, so that even if we direct self-hate at it, it'll be fine. I don't agree, but that's a rant for another time.

Some people, like myself, "air" and "water" and "fire". Lately I've been "stoning" and "icing" as well, and in college I "treed" (I don't recommend the last; it seems to be hard on the trees and most of them are too nice to mention it).

Permanent grounding seems to be what a lot of people recommend - in other words, you create a permanent link between yourself and your receptical of choice. Mine have always been fairly thick and ropey, usually silver or copper in color. Permanent has a number of positive aspects to it, but it has negatives as well and I found the negatives too overwhelming to deal with.

Temporary grounds are more spur of the moment things, where you touch your receptical of choice in some manner and drive your energy out. Again, there are positives and negatives attached to this.

All of these things you discuss are grounding behaviours. The prominance of certain New Age practices has increasingly moulded grounding into only external earthing and thats not right. There also seems to be this concept of 'dumping', and that I would equally share concern of.

Grounding is finding your feet in reality. It is not nescessarily dispersing, dumping or channelling unneeded or unwanted excess energy into the elements.

What you are talking about is 'Earthing', which follows your own personal preferances of 'airing' watering' and 'fireing', these are good dispersals of energy if that is where the energy was drawn from in the first place.

Grounding, as I was tought, was something more empowering and stabalizing and was to find your feet and your strength of mind body and will.

It seems that the concept of grounding has changed more than I had realized so thank you for the insight Deoridhe.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:08 am
I've never heard the term "earthing". What you describe as "empowering and stabalizing and was to find your feet and your strength of mind body and will" sounds more like centering, though, and that's something I've rarely seen brought up.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:38 pm
Deoridhe
I've never heard the term "earthing". What you describe as "empowering and stabalizing and was to find your feet and your strength of mind body and will" sounds more like centering, though, and that's something I've rarely seen brought up.
I thought that was "centering" too. The way I learned (which is not an indication or affirmation of any particular path or system), you would "ground and center" before or while casting the circle.

Grounding was realizing the connection to the world and powers around you, and creating an "energy buffer" for whatever work you needed the circle for. This was usually the earth, as Deoridhe said. The concept was 1) that the earth was larger, older, more sophisticated, and used to it--so if you called up more power than you could handle or you screwed up, the extra would have somewhere to go instead of frying you. 2) That this was supposed to be an earth-based spiritual and magical system and connection to the earth (as the entire biosphere/Gaia/ Mother kind of thing, rather than simply what was under your feet) was an integral component of a working or honorary ritual. 3) That it's the easiest kind of energy work to connect to the earth and pull energy from it towards you, and therefore a good practice and preparation for whatever you were going to do next and more power for you if you couldn't cut it on your own quite yet.

Centering was affirming your own person, and letting go your stress and worldly concerns in preparation for the ritual. The concept was 1) You shouldn't bring your anxiety for a math test into a sacred space. 2) You needed to be in the ritual and in the sacred space, not have your thoughts twittering away to the cute boy in your physics class. 3) As Scorplett said, "empowering and stabilizing and find your feet and your strength of mind, body, and will."

//Shrug.// This was awhile ago, that's just what I remember. Grounding being anchoring to your surroundings, and centering being anchoring to yourself, I suppose is another way of looking at it.

My brother does this thing where he asks the earth to hold onto his fatigue or his pain or his fear for a while; "borrow" it if you will. Then he takes it back when he's in a better space to deal with it. It's never really worked for me. I'm not sure what you would call that.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:56 pm
Deoridhe

What I call Earthing is just like Earthing when dealing with electricity. I dont know if American plugs are wired differentley but we have three wires, one of which serves the function of earthing (PE)Protective Earthing.
I think my usage of grounding is more a combination of your ground and center? But I suppose cut to the simplest, grounding to me is the magical reality check.
Dont know if this makes any sense. But maybe this is a topic worthy of a seperate thread?  

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

SonarP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:58 pm
Cuchullain
wikkedpixie
I have never had anything like that, but there are many times when I will just be sitting there, and I will all of a sudden like get get tingly or numb, or sometimes I just get really dizzy and feel as though I am going to pass out for no reason. Does anyone know what that might be?

Not eating properly, and by this I mean not eating enough or not having a balanced diet.
An iron deficiency.
Not sleeping enough.
Not getting enough excersize.
Being ill.

Seriously, if you want me to continue with the list of mundane reasons for a mundane problem, I can go on. The list gets pretty ugly.

There are enough scary mundane reasons for things. Please, stop looking for magical ones.

Is it just me or is this a trend in paganism? Rather than saying "oh, this keeps happening to my body and my body is a manifest thing so it could be a manifest reason, I'd better go to a doctor" they say "what magical things could be causing this".

I'm all for embracing the newly found belief in magic but when you look to it for the solutions to all your problems, you're missing the main one.

x_x Sorry for not coming back and talking back about this. I asked since it could fall on both sides of the fence. I'm not exactly "healthy" by FDA n' doctor standards..I've never heard of something like that happening in medical history, but without a "body's general balance", y'know, starvation, sleep deprivation, maybe even stress...some odd things tend to happen.
On that day, I was wide awake and rearing to go. I wasn't bored enough to sleep, but it was during my before my lunch period. I was "fine" other than the not eating-part....there are a couple of things I do take into consideration, however.

1) I'm not very hungry during the school day, or thirsty. I have a big breakfast, and that tides me over 'till I get home. (That's a bad thing that I should probably stop...). I don't have much of a diet since I don't complain when something runs out, so I scavenge.
2) I weigh abou' 220-230 depending on my long-term moods. I lose weight when I want to keep it, and when I "feel comfortable with my fat", I lose it. (Something else I gotta work on, too.)
3) It could be a lack of iron. I'm not sure about it, though. The last time I was pretty ill was a couple of weeks ago. I had to spend four days out of school since I caught a bug. It might be from stress (the bug-catching), since my mother and my step-mom had a domestic dispute...I really don't want to go into further detail about it.
4) Sleep? My sleeping's been rather varied over the years. It used to be ridiculously low, then way too much, then about 8 hours. Now, it's 6 during the school nights. I'm willing to put money on this one.
5) I walk about a quarter of a mile to my bus stop, and I go to self-defense classes when either my mother or step-mom can afford to take me on days when they're not working..it's kind of random.
) There was someone who sits right next to me (The fates must've thought it was a funny joke, I guess...but I'm not laughing. -_-..and by that comment, I was trying to be a bit funny as well..). A friend of mine since Freshman year that I've had a very, very rocky relationship with. She's a very exhausting person to be around, and she's always got some kind of drama. But that sensation never happened before when I was around her. Just once, on that day. She wasn't crying or anything, but I can't claim to know what goes on in her head.

I thought to ask since it could've been something caused by medical things. Maybe it brings to light that sometimes even in this day and age, some people get *magic(k)al reasons screwed up with medical reasons, 'specially fluff bunnies like myself. I'm not downing either way, but some people do get it confused. ^_^; Hope my observations haven't offended anyone. If so, then I'm sorry.

*=I still don't know which form to use, even though the 'k' spelling could most be identified with Crowley. Some people use it without that association, some do..so I just tried to please those who use that spelling, and those do not use that spelling. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:29 am
I've had a similar feeling before. If you're feeling that it's coming from a person or thing you can always set up wards on yourself. There are certain wards that act as snares that will lead back to who or what's doing it. I've had to do this on a few occasions. It's a nice personal security system but it can act as a beacon.  

Crowley Vance

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:02 am
SonarP

I thought to ask since it could've been something caused by medical things. Maybe it brings to light that sometimes even in this day and age, some people get *magic(k)al reasons screwed up with medical reasons, 'specially fluff bunnies like myself. I'm not downing either way, but some people do get it confused. ^_^; Hope my observations haven't offended anyone. If so, then I'm sorry.
You know, the fact that you admit it means you're probably not a bunny. You're trying to learn. That makes you more of a serious practitioner than someone who thinks they know everything. wink

It's possible there were medical reasons. It's also possible there were magical ones. In the end, you were the only one who experienced it so you're the one to judge what really happened.

I know some people have pissed me off in the past by "pulling" energy out of me. Damn nasty vamps. I'm not saying that's what it was, but it is possible. Again, you're the only one who can judge your own experience. Just don't got grabbing at magical straws first. Weigh up all the possibilities. 3nodding  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff