Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Why is HE seme?? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like it when semes and ukes switch places?
  Yeah, I think it's hot.
  No! Seme is seme and uke is uke, and that's the way it should always be.
  I don't really care...
View Results

sukuiddo

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 am
I dunt care .... I'm not big into the UKE SEME ... I rather like SEUKE heart since he... they can switch places anytime.... xd  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:39 pm
Sometimes that can be nice...you know, a little variety but there are some characters that just can't be uke...no matter how cute the artist tries to draw them. Ex. Kakashi. I've seen fanart where in the pairing of him and Sasuke, Sasuke was the seme. I don't know...I suppose everyone has their own preference...>.>  

KajinaTheSecond

Fido-s Revenge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:41 pm
I agree with For-Chan Cookie; yes, people do switch.
However, I personally look at 'classifying' Seme/Uke roles to characters in a slightly more generalized way. I'm going to use two of my own characters, Augy and Clifford, as an example.
Augy is a rather serious, often disturbed teen who loves nothing more than manipulating others and being in control. Clifford, on the other hand, is friendly, compassionate, and artistic, and would do just about anything to please just about anyone.
First thing that comes to mind is Augy/Clifford in everything, right?
Sure, Augy would mainly be seme and Clifford would mainly be uke (take note of the key word). It wouldn't be like that all the time, for everything, but that established order is merely a generalization.

Does that make any sense?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:43 am
I can read almost everyting as long as they dont go OOC!

but I prefere:
Duo x Heero (Duo often go so week and girly when his uke...)
Harry x Draco biggrin (Draco is the perfect uke in my opinion whee )
and Naruto x Sasuke (I cant read this one the other way.. and sasuke even have uke in his name biggrin sasUKE) xd  

irori

Eternal Bookworm

Isotonic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:48 am
I agree that switching it around can be more interesting.
Of course, there can be a certain satisfaction in stereotypes. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:34 am
everyone should have da rights to be neutral. :3  

Gehenna_Hara-Kiri_Kyoujin

IceAngie

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:57 pm
asphyxiatemysoul
Have you ever seen fanworks of a certain pairing and thought, Why is that guy seme? It should be the other way around! Like Tamaki/Kyouya from Ouran, for example. Even though Tamaki is "Daddy" and Kyouya is "Mommy," I really don't think Tamaki should be seme. Kyouya's more controlled and Tamaki seems like such an uke to me, even when he's charming the ladies.
So let's discuss some pairings ya'll have seen that you think should be switched around. Or maybe you'd like to switch them just to see what would happen? Who knows, it could make for quite an amusing time. =P

I think some characters HAVE to be seme or uke, in the Tamaki/Kyouya couple, I agree that Tamaki should be the uke and Kyouya the seme. With most pairings, I just can't think about them switching places. But maybe in a special case things could be different.

Ice Angie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:44 pm
For-Chan Cookie
I do often question people's choice of tops or semes, but it's all a matter of personal taste. A lot of people are just stuck in stereotypes. They don't have the imagination or creativity to think outside of the box.

That said, you must also remember that in a real relationship the seme/uke positions are not set in stone. People actually switch! And not just "You get top one night, I get top the next night" politically correct sort of switch off. It seems that in yaoi people fall into the stereotypes and want to lock people into certain positions. Some people might have relationships where there is a clear top and a clear bottom, but people are capable of switching.

For instance, I think Duo is perfectly capable of being Heero's seme. That doesn't mean I wish to see Heero reduced to a weepy uke position. I think they can both maintain their manliness while switching out roles. And while I see Kyoya as the brains of the King/Queen pairing, I can also see him bottoming for Tamaki. Think of it as a strategic move. The bottom of a relationship has just as much power as the top. They are accepting that position and inviting the other to take pleasure in them. Unlike all the stupid rape fantasies floating around, if the bottom says no, someone's using their hand tonight.

asphyxiatemysoul
I personally like "seke" characters because they're versatile. <3

Kashira Ka04

Liberal Perfectionist

5,900 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

psychotic LEE

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:38 am
Shadoworrior
I have that problem with Draco/Harry they always make Harry the Seme and that dude just screams Uke while Draco screams Seme. But there are some stories where they make both Harry and Draco Sekes.

I think Harry would be like, seme FIRST then ya know? Be like, the Uke cause' like, the whole 'trusting people' factor or sum shitt. >_< Haha. Does that make sense? I can't just stand fan fiction that describes two boys as looking so 'girly', "Those big sparkling eyes framed with dark lashes" Okay. So that was a bad example, but ya get my drift ya?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:41 am
irori
I can read almost everyting as long as they dont go OOC!

but I prefere:
Duo x Heero (Duo often go so week and girly when his uke...)
Harry x Draco biggrin (Draco is the perfect uke in my opinion whee )
and Naruto x Sasuke (I cant read this one the other way.. and sasuke even have uke in his name biggrin sasUKE) xd

Ahhhh, interesting opinion. Not saying that you SHOULD like what I like... I'm just saying what I like. *grins* No offense ya?! YAAA! >_< Haha, I don't really like Sasuke as uke. He's either all aggresive, where Naruto seems Uke but Sasuke's well like, a top bottom? HAHAHAA. >_< *whispers; Ya know? Like, Sasuke's doing the riding?* And then he's all girly and s**t... with his long hair and soft soft lips and prissing hair. OI mean. I had DRY CRACKED LIPS. I'm sure not all guys have SOFT, LUCIOUS LIPS. Unless ya know, it's just being the apple of someone's eye. *grins*

And then there's the Draco being uke... I just have a thing of protagonists being the uke I guess. >_< But... A SEME WITH GLASS? And not sexy reading ones like Eiri Yuki either. >_< HAHA.

psychotic LEE

Montypythoniisss

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:31 am
For-Chan Cookie
I do often question people's choice of tops or semes, but it's all a matter of personal taste. A lot of people are just stuck in stereotypes. They don't have the imagination or creativity to think outside of the box.

That said, you must also remember that in a real relationship the seme/uke positions are not set in stone. People actually switch! And not just "You get top one night, I get top the next night" politically correct sort of switch off. It seems that in yaoi people fall into the stereotypes and want to lock people into certain positions. Some people might have relationships where there is a clear top and a clear bottom, but people are capable of switching.

For instance, I think Duo is perfectly capable of being Heero's seme. That doesn't mean I wish to see Heero reduced to a weepy uke position. I think they can both maintain their manliness while switching out roles. And while I see Kyoya as the brains of the King/Queen pairing, I can also see him bottoming for Tamaki. Think of it as a strategic move. The bottom of a relationship has just as much power as the top. They are accepting that position and inviting the other to take pleasure in them. Unlike all the stupid rape fantasies floating around, if the bottom says no, someone's using their hand tonight.

You, are very intelligent. I admire you.  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:19 am
It is just opinions and tastes. Me, I like most pairings that others don't and Seme and Uke positions that others don't.

A popular one I disagree on is Riku/Sora. Now, to most people Sora would seem the 'uke' (I dislike using that word, I prefer submissive) because he is the 'young spirited and free kid who smiles alot' and then Riku is the more 'dark, older, and stronger (muscled) kid'. So most people like a blushing-childish submissive and a strong-mature dominate. This is how a lot of fans put these two, as well as many, many more characters.

I hate how it's so stereotypical and cliche. Sometimes is okay but when it's ALWAYS it just gets ridicules.

I prefer pairings like (The ones showing the difference in me and others likes) Sora/Riku, Yuusuke/Kuwabara, Vincent/Cid, Xigbar/Xaldin, Ginji/Ban, Iruka/Kakashi, Duo/Heero, and etc. Get my drift?

It does kinda piss me off knowing and seeing that people insult characters by always making the the 'uke', because they seem to fit the 'girl' part so well.

I would love to see my semes on top more often, but a lot of people disagree.

I do question why people put some characters as seme, even when I would think that the character WOULD be. Hm, different people just have different tastes. Nothing to argue or complain about anymore, cause it's nothing new
dramallama  

NekoNuku

Sheard

Man-Hungry Kitten

9,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:32 pm
The problem with this I think is the whole stereotyping of the uke of playing the girl role. It's to the extent that ukes in slash fan art tends to be feminized greatly... even going so far as to give them more delicate features and long hair when the character originally looked more masculine. ^^

That said though, there are some characters that if you stay true to the canon they come from are going to clearly fit certain roles. Using the Harry Potter examples...

Ron Weasley - 100% Uke. He acts a bit submissive towards both Lavender Brown and Hermione Granger when in relationships with them. If paired with another boy, he's not going to suddenly get all seme... especially considering that even with his friendship with Harry, he's the less dominate of the two.

Draco Malfoy - Switcher.
He enjoys attention and having people fawn all over him... but he also likes to be in control. He strikes me as the sort that would act all uke in public. In more intimiate situations, he probably would exert a more seme role... especially if with Harry.  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:29 pm
Personally, I am gay. I can be Uke and Seme and believe me. Good relationships you share equality in everything you do. Liek I might want to be catcher, or maybe I might feel another night to you know be a little bit for dominant. I see it as a fair share kind of thing, and hey! Bottom is power. You can't ave a relationship of rape. If you are on the bottoma dn you say no! Then the top guy is ********. So anyhow excuse the language but yeah...

I agree, I'd rather see some men on top while another takes it, but I see no reason why they cannot Switch. Personally I love Duo as Seme. He's so sexy but then again I love him as Uke too. I think that either way they are good. Personally I hate Ron Weasley fics, but I love Lupin and Black. I also like Snape and James a little and Lucious and snape. In each one it's an equal trade. I think it's how it should be. not set in stone, becasue after awhile of that. Things fall to pieces.

I agree with Sheard though on Malfoy. He'd the best though I think in pupblic he could be a bit more flirtacious while harry has a more less confidentheir making ti seem like Draco is in control in some ways without him opening to Seme Qualities. I think he likes it both ways as does Harry.  

Spontanious Alias

4,750 Points
  • Member 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150

[Romiette]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:24 pm
With some pairing there is just a natural order with so-and-so A on top and so-and-so B on bottom. It's kinda weird to see the roles reversed except in a few, well-written fanfic occasions.  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff