0%  [ 0 ]
Gold!!
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:45 pm
NightIntent
Read Deerskin! n.n It's my favorite re-told fairy tale, ever. Though the beginning is a bit... depressing. And... um... disturbing, maybe. It had my friend shrieking at me about why I had her read it. xp It's so good after she gets to the other kingdom.

Deerskin is a superbly written book that I will never read again--it's too well done.

Mild spoilers ahead:It's a retelling of the tale "Donkeyskin" including the father's incestual desire for his daughter. He rapes her & she runs & the emotional & physical aftermath is quite raw.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:00 pm
Yeah, it's an awesome book. But I read it a ton of times. In fact, when I have the time, I'm probably gonna read it again. I'm starting to forget names. I just remember Lissar and the prince's name started with an O. I do kinda like how we never find out what Lissar's father's name is. It's more fun that way. n.n  

NightIntent
Captain

binaryfaerie

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:49 am
NightIntent
Read Deerskin! n.n It's my favorite re-told fairy tale, ever. Though the beginning is a bit... depressing. And... um... disturbing, maybe. It had my friend shrieking at me about why I had her read it. xp It's so good after she gets to the other kingdom.

I don't think I've ever read the fairy tale it was based on... hmm. I think I'll be limited to the Robin McKinley books at the library, and I'm not sure that they have that one. I'll definitely check it out if they do.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:37 am
Oh, I love Robin McKinley. Let's see, I've read Deerskin, Spindle's End, Rose Daughter, Beauty, The Hero and the Crown, and The Blue Sword. Wow! Six! I don't usually like that many books by an author unless they're in a successive series.  

Sileny

binaryfaerie

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:39 pm
Gah, I'm home now and I can't find A Knot in the Grain. I may have gotten rid of it. crying That makes me sad. I will have to reply completely on the library now.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:44 pm
I liked the stories in The Door in the Hedge a lot better than those in A Knot in the Grain. I don't remember why, but I did.  

NightIntent
Captain

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:30 am
NightIntent
I liked the stories in The Door in the Hedge a lot better than those in A Knot in the Grain. I don't remember why, but I did.

Overall, I agree with you. Several of the stories in the book A Knot in the Grain had an unfinished feel to them, particularly the one about the buttercup family. But the story "A Knot in the Grain" remains one of my favorites.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:35 am
Bookwyrme
NightIntent

Overall, I agree with you. Several of the stories in the book A Knot in the Grain had an unfinished feel to them, particularly the one about the buttercup family. But the story "A Knot in the Grain" remains one of my favorites.

I don't entirely remember most of the stories in either book. n.n" It's been a long time since I read either of them. I think I'll start re-reading one of them... soon. Maybe tomorrow or soemthing.  

NightIntent
Captain

Argetlam092

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:16 am
NightIntent
And I didn't like The Outlaws of Sherwood at all, so I never finished it.

That is the best Robin Hood tale I ever came accross. And, the ending was the best part!!!! I almost cried! I did cry!

It is one of my favorites. I loved Blue Sword, and Sunshine. That was the best, Sunshine. I still need to read a few of her's though.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:20 pm
Argetlam092
NightIntent
And I didn't like The Outlaws of Sherwood at all, so I never finished it.

That is the best Robin Hood tale I ever came accross. And, the ending was the best part!!!! I almost cried! I did cry!

It is one of my favorites. I loved Blue Sword, and Sunshine. That was the best, Sunshine. I still need to read a few of her's though.

Yeah, but I'm not a big Robin Hood fan. Not even when I was little did I really like the story of Robin Hood. The Blue Sword is awesome. Sunshine was really good, though I'm standing by my opinion that it's anti-climactic.  

NightIntent
Captain

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:46 pm
I wish she'd write the mythical third book in the Blue Sword series.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:47 pm
Bookwyrme

Me, too. I wanna see stuff about the future. Or the story about why Harry's grandmother or whatever left the Hills! That'd be awesome!  

NightIntent
Captain

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:38 pm
NightIntent
Bookwyrme

Me, too. I wanna see stuff about the future. Or the story about why Harry's grandmother or whatever left the Hills! That'd be awesome!

I wonder if Harry's grandmother was the protagonist in Stone Fey?

I think the 3rd book was supposed to be about the dark-haired woman Aerin saw as she was falling. Maybe. I have a vague memory of reading that somewhere.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:38 pm
Bookwyrme
NightIntent
Bookwyrme

I think the 3rd book was supposed to be about the dark-haired woman Aerin saw as she was falling. Maybe. I have a vague memory of reading that somewhere.

I've been meaning to read The Stone Fey, but I can't find it. It's frustrating.  

NightIntent
Captain

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:15 pm
NightIntent
Bookwyrme
NightIntent
Bookwyrme

I've been meaning to read The Stone Fey, but I can't find it. It's frustrating.

It's in one of the collections. Door in the Hedge, I think. Though the illustrations in the stand-alone are awfully nice, you can still get the story ithrough the collection.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff