40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
None...I hate fairy tales!
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

Marlaina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:23 pm
i like Gregory Maguire's books... he tells the story from the "bad guy's" point of view

the two i've read have been Wicked and Confession of an Ugly Stepsister and i absolutly loved them  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:04 pm
Have you read Lost yet? I meant to pick it up the last time I went book-shopping, but my budget wouldn't stretch to it.  

Nuala

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:19 pm
Mercedes Lackey has a good series out called the Elemental Masters, hers are interesting because they are based on fairytales but have completely different story lines and take place in a world full of elemental magic. They are wonderful historic fiction too, and she likes write about strong female heroins in oppressive situations. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:20 pm
I've read Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey....it's one of a whole set, I believe they're called the Elemental Masters series.....each one is based on a fairy tale, but retold into the Elemental Masters setting....same time period as Fire Rose, but the others are set in England...The Black Swan is the Swan Princess, The Gates of Sleep is Sleeping Beauty, Pheonix and Ashes is Cinderella, and then there's Serpent's Shadow...I've read all of them except The Black Swan ( I think), but I can't really figure out what fairy tale Serpent's Shadow is based on.....If anyone reads it, or has read it before and can figure it out, can you let me know?  

Olivia Benson

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:27 pm
|~*^.[Jay].^*~|

Clementine, Carabas and Tattercoats - a set of three by Sophie Masson. Clementine is Sleeping Beauty, Carabas is Puss in Boots, and Tattercoats is...well, I can' remember, but it's a cool story.

The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories is a collection of transformations by Angela Carter. Veeery strange, pretty dark and kinda gruesome in parts, but very well written and well worth reading.

We looked at quite a few transformations in English Extension (an elective I took last year), and I've probably still got the names of a few authors and stories amongst my archives. I'll have a look and get back to you.

|~*^.[Shadow was here].^*~|

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:03 pm
Nuala
Have you read Lost yet? I meant to pick it up the last time I went book-shopping, but my budget wouldn't stretch to it.

I've read Lost but I didn't really like it. Honestly, I found myself not really caring how it ended. Considering that I had already read Wicked and Confessions, I was quite surprised that I didn't finish it.  

Orange Blossom

Hiitachin Kaoru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:46 pm
I like them too, although I was more into them when I was younger. I like Wicked, Mirror Mirror and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. I just read them. Can't think of the author though, its the same guy for all of them.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:45 am
There is a book called Snow White and Rose Red written by Regina Doman that is a VERY nice modern re-telling of the fairy tale by the same name.

The book is pretty much a realistic fairy tale set in a current day high school^_^  

Mystery Ceres

Shirtless Lunatic

14,650 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Team Edward 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

binaryfaerie

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:26 pm
I just finished Wicked and it was great. I want to read some of his other books, but they are so expensive!

I know Rose and the Beast was already mentioned, but I have to recommend it again. Francesca Lia Block is one of my favorite authors. Rose and the Beast is not one of her stronger works, but if you like fairy tales I think you'll like it. She has a beautiful style of writing.

I want to check out those Mercedes Lackey books. I've seen them at the bookstore and they look interesting. Tons of people have recommended them, too. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:16 pm
There's a book called Snow that I thought was really good, and as you can probably tell by the title it's a retelling of Snow White. I can't remeber the name of the author though...oh well, it's still a good book and I highly recommend it. biggrin  

CelticVampChik

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:43 pm
Actually, I rather disliked Snow. That's the one with the half-beast people, isn't it? If so, yeah, I didn't like it so much. It just... wasn't that well-written, I suppose. I've read better re-tellings of Snow White. I guess I just don't like the mixing of science into a fairy tale. It just seems... weird. I thought I mentioned this book before.... I don't remember. Oh, well.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:36 pm
Yes, its the one with the half-beast people. I disagree with you on the point you have concerning Snow. I think its very different and non-traditional, which I like a lot.  

CelticVampChik

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:41 pm
Meh. That's my opinion. I doubt I'm going to change it any time soon. The book just wasn't to my taste.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:45 pm
Each to their own is the philosophy I tend to go by. You don't like it and I do, everyone is different.  

CelticVampChik

Kaypendragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:47 pm
Donna Jo Napoli retells lots of fairy tales. She has a trillogy about the Frog Prince.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff