Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
London bombed. the police lied. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ph_ish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 am
Unless there are further attacks, it could have been a lot worse.
It's unlikely that the attacks were becasue of the olympics. It also coincided with the start of the g8 summit - the eight most important men in the world meeting to decide the fate of our planet. I think that's a little more important than London hosting a sporting event in seven years time.
I'm supposed to be in London tomorrow, seeing Queen. I wonder if it's still on?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:14 am
Ph_ish
It's unlikely that the attacks were becasue of the olympics. It also coincided with the start of the g8 summit - the eight most important men in the world meeting to decide the fate of our planet. I think that's a little more important than London hosting a sporting event in seven years time.

Well, even if they do play, you can probably expect them not to play Another One Bites the Dust...  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Zoutout

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:17 am
These kinds of things always make me feel guilty, because I don't actually feel anything.

When I saw it on the TV, I have to say, I wasn't particularly shocked.

I think I'm just not very good with empathy unless I know the person (or is that sympathy?)  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:27 am
whapcapn
I'm in two minds about this. Part of me feels deeply shocked that London was attacked. Londond to me has always just seemed so...dependable. The fact it's been brought to such a standstill is very alarming for me.
The more cycnical part of me says I should have ssome sense of proportion. There are probably about 50 dead (max) and 150 or so injured. When you think about the thousands of people in Africa who die every day from famine and AIDS, it pales in comparison. I mean, far more people even in this country die of cancer or in car crashes before their time every year. I hardly feel I should value the life of the British any higher than the life of any other citizen of the world just because we're rich, white and Western.
The sad thing is, though, that this news does affect me more deeply than the knowledge of incredible chaos and death in other countries. And that makes me feel guilty. We're incredibly priveliged over here - the families of those who died will almost certainly be receiving compensation from the government. Deaths and casualties were kept to an absolute minimum by the prompt action of the emergency services. And, of course, the injured are being given adequate medical care - something which, again, we are extremely privileged to have.
As I said, these events are shocking, but more shocking I think is the incredible amount of press attention they will receive (worldwide, not just in this country), when far worse events are taking place as we speak.

Exactly how I feel.
If a child in Africa dies becasue of extreme poverty every 3 seconds, Since 9 this morning (when the bombs went off), about 11220 kids are dead. That makes the 50 or so in London look pretty insignifigant, however terrible any loss of life is. And yet to the world it is more significant, becasue it's in London. It makes the whole thing seem very unfair.  

Ph_ish

Zoutout

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:34 am
Frankly though, in my defence, during GCSE history we learnt about the IRA, and as such London being bombed isn't too shocking. It's happened plenty of times before. Though the silence was nice for a while.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:55 am
whapcapn
Ph_ish

Well, even if they do play, you can probably expect them not to play Another One Bites the Dust...

It would be kind of morbidly ironic... but they have to. It's one of their best know hits.
They've postponed it for a week. Next friday. Hyde park. Me. Queen. Yey! I feel kind of bad about feeling excited on such a terrible occasion. But I can't help it. I'm going to see QUEEN!!!  

Ph_ish

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:34 am
Ph_ish
whapcapn
Ph_ish

It would be kind of morbidly ironic... but they have to. It's one of their best know hits.
They've postponed it for a week. Next friday. Hyde park. Me. Queen. Yey! I feel kind of bad about feeling excited on such a terrible occasion. But I can't help it. I'm going to see QUEEN!!!

Well, not quite Queen. Freddie isn't there.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:01 am
Ph_ish
whapcapn
I'm in two minds about this. Part of me feels deeply shocked that London was attacked. Londond to me has always just seemed so...dependable. The fact it's been brought to such a standstill is very alarming for me.
The more cycnical part of me says I should have ssome sense of proportion. There are probably about 50 dead (max) and 150 or so injured. When you think about the thousands of people in Africa who die every day from famine and AIDS, it pales in comparison. I mean, far more people even in this country die of cancer or in car crashes before their time every year. I hardly feel I should value the life of the British any higher than the life of any other citizen of the world just because we're rich, white and Western.
The sad thing is, though, that this news does affect me more deeply than the knowledge of incredible chaos and death in other countries. And that makes me feel guilty. We're incredibly priveliged over here - the families of those who died will almost certainly be receiving compensation from the government. Deaths and casualties were kept to an absolute minimum by the prompt action of the emergency services. And, of course, the injured are being given adequate medical care - something which, again, we are extremely privileged to have.
As I said, these events are shocking, but more shocking I think is the incredible amount of press attention they will receive (worldwide, not just in this country), when far worse events are taking place as we speak.

Exactly how I feel.
If a child in Africa dies becasue of extreme poverty every 3 seconds, Since 9 this morning (when the bombs went off), about 11220 kids are dead. That makes the 50 or so in London look pretty insignifigant, however terrible any loss of life is. And yet to the world it is more significant, becasue it's in London. It makes the whole thing seem very unfair.

But, no one ever talks about the kids who are born in Africa.  

Ares

Tsamikayu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:16 am
Gyakuten no Megami
So, it really was only 2 people? Some people have been saying 40 died. cry It really really was only 2 people who died?

That was the last count I had heard earlier today. Just now in the car I heard about the - was it 33? - confirmed dead. I was shocked. For me, two was bad enough.

I've been trying to keep up with it, as I'm going to be in London for a while this Wednesday - strangely enough it's on my way to Cardiff to do some visiting - so I wanted to know if anything else would be cancelled, etc. But I don't watch TV normally, so I wasn't patient enough to stick around and find out everything as it happened.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:22 am
It was inevitable that London was going to be attacked one day. But it is still very shocking. And what is more scary is that there was a unexploded bomb on the tracks at Victoria train station and a couple of days ago i was at Victoria train station. It is pathetic that people use religion to justify killing a fellow human beings. And there has been talk that this is only the first wave and more attack might come.  

Masada

dreaming_mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:39 am
We were pretty scared shitless at college because so many people we know are in London. My dad's a train driver so one of my mates came running up to me in the canteen and shouted for me to get in "******** contact with your dad." Luckily he's on lates, unluckily he's doing the ******** London Waterloo train now stare

I think it's scary - this is the reason why I never go on the underground, I was always frightened terroists would try and bomb them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:22 pm
My aunt and uncle both live in London. Apparently my aunt just missed going on the underground. My mums talking to her right now and she says that the pubs are packed with people.  

RoccoRoll

TheLoneBassist46

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:38 pm
I tend to think the bombings happepend because of the Olympic announcement. The bombings were probably going to happen to whichever city got it to sway the decision that the Olympic commitee made. It's one of those plots to scare everyone. I think that those of you who live in and around London need to stay strong and not let this get to you. You need to say "Though the terrorists have bombed us, we are not going to let them demolish our faith we have to our country."
I've learned that as an American, and that's probably one of the few things I am going to learn in this country.

But for those that are injured, I wish them all a safe and speedy recovory.

And for those that died, I'll make a special song for them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:43 pm
dreaming_mouse
We were pretty scared shitless at college because so many people we know are in London. My dad's a train driver so one of my mates came running up to me in the canteen and shouted for me to get in "******** contact with your dad." Luckily he's on lates, unluckily he's doing the ******** London Waterloo train now stare

I think it's scary - this is the reason why I never go on the underground, I was always frightened terroists would try and bomb them.

I agree, it is scary. When I studied abroad in Japan, i was nervous that something could happen in the subways. But it never deterred me from riding. After 9/11, Americans felt the urge to say that we can't let terrorists scare us. If we allow them to scare us all to death, then They've won.

I live My life day to day. I know that terrorrists could kill me, but why should I allow that fear to get in the way of me living my life? It's sad what happened, but you must take a stand and continue to live your lieves  

TheLoneBassist46

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:50 pm
whapcapn

Thats exactly how I feel.
It was when I heard it on the radio (after already knowing about it from the tv).
"33 people confirmed dead on an attack on public transport"
How many times have we heard that before? I happens almost every week but the world pays no attention because its Britian or America. Its not even because it doesnt happen every day. Madrid didnt get nearly this much attention and more people died.
Afterthought: The finding a bomb in a bus in Edinburgh was almost as bad as the bombs actually going off in London for me. Its just so much worse if you have actually been to a place. Maybe it lets you use your imagination better or something.  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games