Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
London 2012 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:46 am
Did people see the British presentation? What have you done today to make yourself proud?

Excellent, you can download it from the internet, if you're a bit sad. Like I did.

sweatdrop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:07 am
Invictus_88
Did people see the British presentation? What have you done today to make yourself proud?

Excellent, you can download it from the internet, if you're a bit sad. Like I did.

sweatdrop

I saw it shortly before the announcement. It was excellent. I particularly liked the fencing businessmen.  

Fourcolour

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:29 am
whapcapn
I notice Owen's staying clear of this thread now...

Actually, I haven't been on gaia in a while.

And it is a problemm because the city will become even more crowded, we will likely have another few bombs go off, and then we will have to hear all the insufferable tripe of the government trying to defend the decision to build all the damned stadiums when 'the money could have gone in to hospitals to improve life for the British people instead of this one event that we barely won any medals in'[/impersonation of tabloid journalist]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:39 am
I see what you mean.
On the other hand, it will force the government to improve the London public transport, and probably road conditions etcetera. Plus, the pound will have an absolutely huge boom following the Olympics. At least, so I'm told by people who are knowledgeable in these things.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:31 pm
I'm still a bit concerned that all the other host nations seem to have vast and unused facilities with high upkeep costs and nearly no use.

ninja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:10 am
Invictus_88
I'm still a bit concerned that all the other host natons seem to have vast and unused facilities with high upkeep costs and nearly no use.

ninja

*shrugs* Blame Bliar. xp  

Nebelstern
Crew

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:41 pm
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
I'm still a bit concerned that all the other host natons seem to have vast and unused facilities with high upkeep costs and nearly no use.

ninja

*shrugs* Blame Bliar. xp

What does Blair have to do with other countrie's Olympic facilities?

I should look into the effect the Olympics had on Atlanta and/or Salt Lake City.

For my own part, I would give a lot to see London, but I'll avoid it in 2012 during the Olympics.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:57 pm
My PE teacher said: You live in a very useful area because for the Olympics we are just an hours train journey directly south of the Olympic site. That means you can go down and see it.

This was when I thought "Why would I still be at home in seven years time?".

However, I'm not particularly looking forward to it, because I generally do not like the Olympics. Only the winter ones, because snow boarding and ice skating are cool where as I don't particularly like watching sweaty men a women run to white line. It seems thoroughly pointless in my eyes...  

Emmanuela

niki_washue25

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:22 pm
If all goes well, I might actually be in London when the Olympics start up (graduate school), but then again, the place will be a complete zoo and there will be a whole lot of people and I might become claustrophobic but who cares about that?

But if I'm there, I'll go watch football because that's the only sport that keeps me interested. That and pole vaulting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:27 pm
niki_washue25
[...] the place will be a complete zoo and there will be a whole lot of people and I might become claustrophobic but who cares about that?

Since when is London not like that anyway?  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

mis_3a

12,225 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:15 am
Boolean Julian
Jesus. I think I'll evacuate the country for when 2012 Olympics come around...
lol XD - me too  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:58 pm
Boolean Julian
Jesus. I think I'll evacuate the country for when 2012 Olympics come around...

It will certainly be crowded.
As if it isn't already.  

Dedale

Shadow__Dweller

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:40 am
I was hoping we wouldn't get it. We only got it by mistake anyway didn't we? it wasn't actually where people WANTED to vote for.
To be honest, no offense to Londoners, but I do't think London will be able to pull it off well. They haven't even started doing anything yet. I think, compared to Manchester when they held the Commonwealth Games, it won't be as well organised or secure.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:04 am
Have you seen the logo? first time I saw it I thought all those that can't handly fast flashing colours (can't think of whats its called) are really going to love it! (sarcasm don't you just love it).  

NanaharaShuya

loIitoads

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:58 am
Kids aren't going to be enticed into exercising because of the Olympics. That's a vain hope, and exactly the sort of vain hope that governments encourage during their bids. Kids don't give a s**t, if you'll excuse my French.
I really do pity Londoners paying extra taxes to sponsor an event they may not even want to see, on top of a high cost of living anyway.  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games