Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Starre's Sketchbook - New Picture Page 4(9/28/09) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:01 am

Oh please don't be so hard on yourself!

I'm sure those tutorials were made by "experienced" artists trying to cater to a "beginner" but trying to remember what you didn't know before you learned something is hard. Do you know what I mean?

You're drawings are good, don't let anyone tell you different. Even the best of the best can improve so don't feel so put down. If you keep practicing you can only get better.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:22 pm

Starre257
Eh... This was just done to try out some new markers I bought... I haven't been able to get any ideas for serious projects recently.

Edit: Okay, I have serious problems here. I read throught most of the tutorials in the sticky on in the main forum here, and I DID NOT UNDERSTAND ANY OF IT! I think I'm seriously hopeless. I'm dumber than a beginner, since I think some of those were made for beginners. Stuff they said should come naturally doesn't come at all. I can't see correctly. I have no imagination either. It's a good thing I'm not still thinking of applying to art school, or majoring in art, because if I tried to do that none of them would accept me and I'd just not go to college and live on the street and never get a job.
Calm down.

Choose something specific and ask in the main forum. You can make a thread for that as it's a discussion. We'll help you understand or at least simplify to you can work your way to understanding.

It look me years to get some of the concepts that are like nature to me now. So don't worry. Besides, my figure drawings sucked when I did them. It was my first time in a figure drawing class. Now they're better. What's what school is for. Most of the people in my classes are horrible the first two or three weeks.

Errol McGillivray
Captain

loontje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:05 pm

User Image

Here's a paintover of your original character. Sorry it's so sloppy, but I hope it helps anyway sweatdrop
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:46 pm

Polyhymnia

This is a picture I did for my AP art concentration... it's supposed to be Polyhymnia, the muse of song in Greek mythology.

I'm going to color it using Gouache, but I wanted some critique first...

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Julia Pegasus

Bashful Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:32 pm

I think the hands need more work. Especially the farthest one, it looks like the fingers' position is inverted. Some reference here will help you lots. ^^
Ask someone to make this pose for you and photograph (it's faster and easier than searching for something like this online). Observe especially the hands: how the fingers bend, their positions and proportions.

I also think you should work a bit more in her hair: you made most of it floating in a thick mass, and the tips are more loose. I have seen floating hair done in both ways (loose or in a clump), but I personally think mixing the two usually becomes a tad confusing. Also, I'd like to add that the 'loose' form is more common.
For reference, I suggest shampoo ads: they usually show hair in an unnatural, "magical" way, and I think it's the most suitable for a portrait of a goddess. smile

I hope that helps you!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:04 pm

Another thing. The jaw doesnt exactly line up with the rest of the face... It needs to come up a bit more... again, this is where a tablet would really... really come in handy.. sigh.

I did a crappy edit with my mouse. nothing special... but i hope it gives you the general idea, on how the jawline acts.
blah

Yuri Mono

loontje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:21 am

Here is a paintover of her hands, hope it helps wink
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:22 pm

Thanks for the advice... I fixed a few of the things when I got the chance, and I'll upload a picture when I'm done.

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Julia Pegasus

Bashful Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:30 pm

Glad it helped, I'm curious to see the result :3
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:06 am

Please let me know what you post the revision. (As you asked me to wait until you do in my thread.)

Errol McGillivray
Captain

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:09 pm

WIP

This is my new OC, Kesi. Uhh... I think the knees need some work. I don't want critique on the lineart, I know the anatomy's crap. I'm mostly looking to get crit on the coloring.

O.O I don't know what color to make her vest-thing and skirt...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:10 am

Starre257
WIP

O.O I don't know what color to make her vest-thing and skirt...

I think the colours who could be great would be green (because it will realy goes good with her eyes), or yellow (but not too hard yellow), or orange... that are the colours for me who go quite good with her eyes and the skin. But best thing to do it's to test out. Put some coulours near your pic and see what one will come out better than they others. biggrin

Also realy nice pic, she have a lovely face. ^_^

Sora Mayku

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:52 am

very nice job on the colouring.

And nice attempt on the shading. But, it's kinda 2 dimentional. There doesnt really seem to be a definite light source. Work on defining the body parts with the light source in mind. And define other parts of the body that aren't defined by a line. Such as the colar bones, or the tendants in the neck and arms.

3nodding Hope this helps.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:35 am

I'm living with false hope

And my eyes just want to see a ray of light

I'm gonna find it in my fairy tale...

User Image

I'm not quite sure what to do with the flowers. It doesn't look how I want it to when I leave them without shading, but when I shaded them, it looked to dark... I guess I'll try shading them lighter.

I don't mind crit on the coloring, I just don't want any for the actual drawing/lineart part. I know that's bad. I edited it a lot when I scanned it, but the head's still misshapen. I know I should have checked before I inked this, but I was in too much of a rush to try out my new sepia inking pen, the problem with which is the color, not the pen, so I'll be getting one in black, but not using the sepia one much. Maybe for marker pieces. Anyway, now I check before I ink. I did that with the picture I did after this one.

I don't know what it is, but I just don't like how I draw. Whenever I draw something, I end up either erasing it or throwing it out. I guess it's because I didn't have a solid idea before I started. But I very rarely get ideas like that... so I should just only draw then? I don't know...

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:48 pm

I will usually sketch what's in my mind, then later go and find reference to apply there. So you can look for real flowers if you like, or leave them as is.

Unfortunately, with WIP plastered all over this, it's hard to see. If it's a thumbnail to something else, the link isn't working for me.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff