Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Freaky's Sketchbook Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Admit one
  Yep
View Results

Freaksrus

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:38 am
I can undo the thumnail. Hold on.
It's only a rough sketch.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:32 am
Ah, thats better.
A few things about the pose. Standing at that angle both feet would not be side-views. The far one -could- be, but they're more likely 3/4 or straight on. Comfort and balance. Whenever possible, if working on a pose try it for yourself. Some poses will be exagerated, of course, but it should still be possible and able to hold for as long as it -looks- like it should hold. (A few exceptions are acrobatic stunts and such, but even then, watch the anatomy and make sure no bones are being crushed nor muscles completely torn to pull it off)
That's my general advice for this is to try the pose and see if it's comfortable and makes sense to you. Hold a stick and a pot lid and lift them, see what works. And if it helps, take a photo of yourself or someone you've conned into doing it for reference.
Can't wait to see a more finished piece ^_^  

Wispered

Freaksrus

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:38 am
I finished it today. I'll scan it later. I did somewhat better on the pose this time, but eh.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:02 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/freaksrus123/gaia/art/Raiotc.jpg
There it is!  

Freaksrus

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250

Wispered

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:57 am
Hey there ^_^
From the looks of things you draw the whole picture all at once (I may be wrong, but thats what it looks like) I think you'd benefit greatly from drawing your figures 'nude' and then adding the costume over top. This helps keep your anatomy in line and gets the clothing to fall properly.
You're still drawing assumed shapes for bodies and such, I recommend finding photos or using a mirror to show you how each part should look when in the position you want.
The pose looks better than the sketch did, kudos to that.
Have you been using guidlines? I ask because the eyes aren't lined up and guides will help you with that. Basically draw a stickfigure in the motion you want and add the basic geometric shapes for the major areas, circle/oval for the head, boxish/egg for the ribcage, trapezoid for the pelvic bone. Wedges work good to plan hands and feet, or ovals, whatever feels comfortable and helps you to visualize.
Generally its easier and best to work on something in steps. The first few steps of planning are easier to fix and lay a solid groundwork for the whole picture. If you plan well there are less problems in the later steps.

I hope this all makes sense, and I also want to encourage you. There's deffinately been some improvement. Don't take all these as saying that there hasn't, its just further info to help you continue along. ^_^  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:36 pm
Actually, I did it in small steps, but yes I did it in one sitting. I had to! It was making my cwazy! lol The idea itself. But the top I started off in the nude and added the clothes after. I screwed up at the bottom and realized it afterward. Eh. I have a hard time going slow or using guidlines. Actually I never use guidelines. Which can be why it comes out akward lol.  

Freaksrus

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250

Freaksrus

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:35 pm
I added a few more links and may do more stuff soon!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:13 am
I did some more headshots for friends and as a bump gift in my quest thread. I dread the weekend.  

Freaksrus

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250

KotokoPlum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:53 pm
Using guidelines is very important. It's very annoying at first, I know, but it does help in the long run. Start by using them for the head, then the body (mebbe just the stick figure for the pose) and keep going. C:  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:04 pm
Thanks Kotoko.I am trying, but still stink at it lol.  

Freaksrus

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250

Freaksrus

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:11 am
Some of my newest works.
User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:30 pm
My newest work!
User Image  

Freaksrus

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250

loontje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:01 pm
User Image

here is a paint over, hope it helps wink  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:07 am
Thanks loont, but I have already given it out to my friend. I wasn't going for anthro either, but it looks like I was huh. lol. Silly me.  

Freaksrus

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250

KotokoPlum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:48 pm
Yesh, guidelines are tedious at first... well, actually they're always tedious! xD; I sometimes hafta remind myself to make them as well. d:

http://www.rebekahlynn.com/free/tutorial/hair_tutorial.html

That tutorial may help you on hair. C:

KotokoPlum
Yush, anatomy is important, and proportions are as well!

When beginning a drawing try drawing a stick figure with all the joints, so that you know how every body part connects to the other. If you're not sure, ask a fried to pose for you. Always try to draw from life. :'D

Clothes/Folds Tutorial

The reason I linked you to that is because (I'm lazy and) it links to all her other tutorials in the description. Look at them, they are very helpful and easy to follow.

Basic Head tutorial

Basics are boring, but they are important. You need a foundation and this'll get you there. :'D Practice makes better. G'luck! <3

Those are the basics everyone should start from if working on anatomy of humans and whatnot. For in-depth anatomy, though, you may want to buy or borrow (from your library) some anatomy books and practice drawing from there.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff