Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Ozzy's Photo Album Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like?
  Like i like mano!!
  You remind me of hot spice
  ^STFU!!!
View Results

Wispered

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:48 pm
Awesome, can't wait to see them.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:44 pm
XD! Eejbeej already got to it.

I saw your picture when I was at school but couldn't reply.

I enjoy how your pictures look like they can tell a story and yes the focus is better now.

My major complaint is that the focus (not the actual camera focus) of the picture is off. Like eejbeej said, the cropping causes the composition to be akward. Watch where things meet the edges of the picture, if places like the hat and the elbow end right where the edge is it causes tension in the picture like those sections are holding the frame of the picture. Yet the right side of the picture leaves space but not enough that it balances out the rest. I suggest that you either leave more space on the top and the left or crop closer.

Also the focus of the picture should be on what the two are doing with their hands, but right now the objects in the background are easier to distinguish and detract from the picture.

I suggest that you crop the left and right closer so that the picture is more narrow and there isn't as much background :3... also I wish there was a bit more sky at the top.

Contrast can also be -slightly- upped a bit

can't wait to see more from you biggrin

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Skreemin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:00 pm
User Image

Both new stuff

User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:23 am
Hi Ozzy. As always, glad to see new stuff from you.
The airplane looks really washed out. I'm not sure how I feel about the cropping yet, but thats not a bad thing necessarily. I still feel like you're trying to fill all your space up.
The tree, I think needs to have the crop moved slightly. You've got the right idea, but because that one branch is so heavy, I think the crop should start at the base of that dark branch, to give it some grounding. Right now it feels top heavy.

Very glad to see you experimenting with that though. When you're learning and doing this stuff for yourself is the -best- opportunity to experiment and dive right in. If you royally fack up, who cares? You learn from it and move on.
I guess I'm basically encouraging you not to be so timid in this. Amazing art of any sort usually involved someone trying new things and seeing what worked.  

Wispered

Skreemin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:03 pm
THANKS for the feedback I'll make sure to mess around with some of my new pics. But i do want to ask...How did you learn so much abou compostion?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 am
I'm a designer by trade ^_^  

Wispered

Skreemin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 pm
OH really?! eek What kind?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:54 pm
Graphic Arts -_^ I did some 3D animation too.
Hey, if you're interested I have some excersizes to help you with compositions. It involves some drawing, but only squares, nothing intense.  

Wispered

Skreemin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:30 pm
Oh yeah sure I'll take 'em  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:24 am
Using a sharpie, you'll be drawing squares of different sizes on a sheet. Make sure you fill them in.

Basically, take a few ideas like intimidation, freedom, balance, equality, etc... and portray them with the squares. Play with cropping and negative space. Use a whole sheet of paper for each concept. This will help you get used to working with negative space and balance without the distraction of actual objects, just shapes and the space they fill. You'll find a large square that fills an entire side can be balanced by a short row of teeny tiny squares.
To further this, use gray markers or hatch with your sharpie to explore how value affects balance and composition.  

Wispered

Skreemin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:23 am
thnx! I'll do that next time i have a composition assignment for class.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:15 pm
So who is gonna join my contest in the main forum?  

Skreemin

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces