Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Tir's craptacular sketchbook [04.09 | Sketches p.1] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wispered

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:41 pm
That helped a lot. Looking good, Tir.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:57 pm
I love almost everything about this picture, but the eye is still.... off? Like Iyou mentioned, it's a bit too long. Also, the positioning of the iris is off, but that, I'm assuming is also because of the eye.

In reference to the actual eyeball, the positioning is incorrect. The direct on gaze of the iris isn't possible from a true profile head. Even if the eye could rotate 90 degrees, you wouldn't see the complete roundness of the iris.

But even without that degree of rotation, you wouldn't be able to see the entire iris; part of it would still be hidden by the skin and such. Because you've drawn the eye too long, if you were to go back and move the iris, the angle would still be off, unless you made his iris much larger.

User Image

Though the eye in the image isn't realistic (Hiro is an anime-based 3d character), they eye is still much shorter that what it would be from the front and you still don't see much of the iris, even though it's turned toward the 'camera'.

Other than that.... I love it. You're shading is gorgeous and I've looked at your dA gallery and I'm envious to no end. ; ;  

Marissael

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:20 pm
Thank you marissael :3 The 3D render helped a lot~~

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:55 pm
Ah~, my pleasure. I used 3d renders when I need help most of the time. ^_^  

Marissael

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:34 pm
XDD;; just dumped a huge amount of stuff on the first page <3  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:47 am
I'd have to say that your work is too good for me to critique. I will continue to look out for new works that you post here with the hopes that maybe I could actually find something that can help you improve. wink  

Oblivious Mischief

Tricky Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:02 am
D:! lol thank you <3 And don't be afraid to point someting out if you see it.

Hmmm... a bit of self critique then:
I think a lot of my poses are boring and standard... especially the expressions and angles. I also need to do more fullbodies and backgrounds... and a bit lacking in males lately. That might be partially due to trying out new styles/techniques though. Boobs on the red lady are a bit weird but I like her face...

Honestly I think I like this picture the most:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/nini206/wtflol.jpg
Even though it probably took the least time of the CGs and is messy. But it's more interesting. She's got attitude and the image pops more D:...

Just my own two cents... its kinda nice to see my stuff together on one page so I can see trends ans stuff X'D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:41 am
Hi Tir ^_^ I have to agree with you on the poses, its an evil trap that everyone falls into often.
My only other major crit would have to be about your pony's feet and the way the legs curve in, It doesn't feel sturdy to me, but then I like huge feet on cute animals so it may very well be a preference thing.
As always though, I love seeing your stuff.  

Wispered

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:42 am
Ooh thank you eejbeej :'D.... X'D Agreed on the stability issue D:! Ah well I probaly won't be drawing many ponies in the future.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:03 pm
Dumped a bunch of sketches on first page again @__@;;  

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Sriae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:34 pm
For the first one... SOOPAR BRIGHT RED ARG EYES. I just had to say that. >>;

I like the roughness and conceptualness of the first two, and how you hint at hands and the face (at least for the second one).

As for crit... Maybe softening out the last girl's chin/bottom of face area? I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I think it's too sharp looking. XP And the arm in shadow looks kind of stiff positioned like that. Other than that, I don't know what to say. You are too goooooooood. gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:48 pm
XDD LoL sorry 8D;; I changed the first one to bright red for certain reasons and didn't bother to change it back....

And thank you for the crits on the last one >o<;; Yeah the arms are akward... I tried to fix them but gave up after a while <3 thank you :3

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out