Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Errol's sketchbook [images added 5/2/11] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:31 am
Eejbeej
Uhm...only that the shorts should probably be a teensy bit more full in the crotch. Not to be a perv, but it looks like a gals crotch. Sorry for mistaking it for a lass though -_-
Heh. I originally made his balls normal sized, but they looked huge for his little body. Big balls it is then. whee  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:02 pm
Love the...what would you call it...>__> Atmospheric Perspective...picture. Wonderful view...but sadly, human anatomy is my specialty, so I 'll just say it's wonderful! Don't change it! ^w^

As the the other picture, I don't know if I can help much. I've never studied this type of pose...
Anyways, I love the spine, as you do. What bothers me is how slim his waist is compared to...his bottom. It seems to much like a girl's lower half. Well except for the legs.
The only other thing that is bothering me is his head..but I think it's just the choppy way you drew the hair.

Anyways, impressive for such a difficult pose. Excellent job!  

PinkGhost

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:45 am
PinkGhost
Love the...what would you call it...>__> Atmospheric Perspective...picture. Wonderful view...but sadly, human anatomy is my specialty, so I 'll just say it's wonderful! Don't change it! ^w^
Thank you. whee I did get it corrected by the teacher and plan to do it over. I'm kind of failing the class. neutral

Quote:
As the the other picture, I don't know if I can help much. I've never studied this type of pose...
Anyways, I love the spine, as you do. What bothers me is how slim his waist is compared to...his bottom. It seems to much like a girl's lower half. Well except for the legs.
The only other thing that is bothering me is his head..but I think it's just the choppy way you drew the hair.

Anyways, impressive for such a difficult pose. Excellent job!
Hm. The waist does "shrink" and "expand" with the change of shape of the organs inside, but I see where you're coming from. The avatar is question is the essence of 'twink' so I was going for the young and tender look. And I did the hair last, already unhappy with the image and just kind of scratch it on there to say I was finished. I know I shouldn't do that, but I really just wanted to get it posted. (See the link in my sig.) I hated it so much I ended up taking it off the page though. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:22 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I attempted to fix it. Drew it over, taking what I've been told into account. I tried to keep the volume of the waist, serperated the knees more, and opened up the pose. I also tried to pay attention to my lines so they overlap more to show depth. Still though, it's flattening out towards the bottom of the image because the legs are seriously off in perspective and definition. Better than before at least. (Unfortunately, I didn't have much in the way of reference, so the torso is a bit weird at the back.)

Oh and Eejbeej... BALLZ.

edit: It's the goddamn pants. I can't get the butt to keep the curve of the spine, still show the globe of the buttcheeks bending with the back, and have the shorts. If I can find a way to fix that, I think it will come out the way I want.

Edit: Man, you can make breakfast outta those links for fingers. xd I really need to work on that. Wuold be nice if Pink made that tutorial...  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Wispered

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:07 pm
Heh, yay ballz.
I deffinately won't confuse the gender now. I see what you mean about the butt. The top looks alright, but where it begins to join with the legs it sort of looks like his butt disappears. Do you draw 'n***s' and then add clothing? Or draw the clothing directly?
The far cheek probably needs more curve to it..yeah, I just did the pose as best I could (despite odd looks from my husband) and the butt deffinately does the bunching round thing. The thighs still look too thin compared to the calves, but I think you can probably thin the calves a bit to fix that.
If you haven't already, try the pose for yourself, it might help you understand how things better.

I have to say though this is an awesome improvement. Much applause.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:57 pm
-Walks away-  

Skreemin

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:54 am
OzzyS.
-Walks away-
If you plan to be around here for long, I'd suggest keeping spam (especially of the ignorant a** variety) out of people's threads. If you don't have something useful to say, take it to the chatter thread or keep it to yourself.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:57 am
Eejbeej
Heh, yay ballz.
I deffinately won't confuse the gender now. I see what you mean about the butt. The top looks alright, but where it begins to join with the legs it sort of looks like his butt disappears. Do you draw 'n***s' and then add clothing? Or draw the clothing directly?
The far cheek probably needs more curve to it..yeah, I just did the pose as best I could (despite odd looks from my husband) and the butt deffinately does the bunching round thing. The thighs still look too thin compared to the calves, but I think you can probably thin the calves a bit to fix that.
If you haven't already, try the pose for yourself, it might help you understand how things better.

I have to say though this is an awesome improvement. Much applause.
Yeah, I do the nude then add the clothes. I'm not very good at adding the clothes. xd There was muscle movement of the cheeks in the pantsless version. And of course, the legs. I think I'll leave this one alone, and try and just do a similar pose for another avatar instead of trapping myself on this one any further. I'll be sure to try and keep the calf/thigh thing more accurate too. I'm used to drawing larger guys and have a bit of trouble with thin ones.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:25 pm
http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/5355/alexinwonderlandci1.jpg
Thumbnail sketch for some avatar art. Avatars are mine as the Mad Hatter and Alex in Wonderland as, well, himself.

I tend to sketch really dirty then if I like it, go back and draw it when working with multiple characters. Gives me leeway to play with things.
3/3/07  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:41 pm
I -love- the mad hatter. Love it.
Seeing as it's just a sketch and working through it I won't get nitpicky, and I have to say it honestly looks like its heading in the right direction. The one thing I did notice is that Alex's pose is really stiff in comparison to the Mad Hatter. I think it has to do with the leg placement, it looks very doll like. Perhaps move one leg back a bit, widen the stance so it looks a bit more natural? Your call, I think its mostly a preference thing.  

Wispered

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:24 pm
Eejbeej
I -love- the mad hatter. Love it.
Seeing as it's just a sketch and working through it I won't get nitpicky, and I have to say it honestly looks like its heading in the right direction. The one thing I did notice is that Alex's pose is really stiff in comparison to the Mad Hatter. I think it has to do with the leg placement, it looks very doll like. Perhaps move one leg back a bit, widen the stance so it looks a bit more natural? Your call, I think its mostly a preference thing.
Yeah, Alex is all wrong. I'm not sure what I want his reaction to be just yet. Willing, but hesitant. But I don't want him to have that coy/embarrassed anime girl pose. I hate that s**t. Part of why he's got his hand protecting his crotch. Doesn't really trust Mr. Hatter.

And he shouldn't.

I'll try a couple of other poses. (I drew them on different layers for just that purpose. (Also, I have a duplicate of the Hatter layer so I can keep on that doesn't get erased.) Thanks for the input. I'll definitely try different footing with him. And like, make him actually look like a boy.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:51 pm
I have to say that I love the attitude going on in that sketch, especially with the Hatter's pose. Can't wait to see it more refined. whee

If you're looking to make Alex's pose a little more dynamic, why not spread his legs out a little bit more? It might help him look a little more willing and not just uke-shy.

I'm also wondering what's going on with that teacup in the Hatter's hand. Is it going to be supported by fingers or is it just kind of balancing there haphazardly?  

Iyou

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:06 am
Iyou
I have to say that I love the attitude going on in that sketch, especially with the Hatter's pose. Can't wait to see it more refined. whee

If you're looking to make Alex's pose a little more dynamic, why not spread his legs out a little bit more? It might help him look a little more willing and not just uke-shy.

I'm also wondering what's going on with that teacup in the Hatter's hand. Is it going to be supported by fingers or is it just kind of balancing there haphazardly?
I was messing with both without cleaning any lines, but I think I want it to be balancing. The saucer on it's side spinning and the cup on top of that. He's all creepy and magic afterall.

I was actually thinking of widening his stance and using both hands to hold the saucer because he's concerned with spilling while the Hatter isn't.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:58 pm
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/8673/alexinwonderland2helpwt4.jpg
updated 3/5/07

Alex hands suck. The skirt is evil. This is the rough, so I can still fix things.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Wispered

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:23 pm
I really love this drawing.
The leg stance helped -a lot-
I think the way the skirt is blowing it should hug up against the back of the left (our right) leg.
I can't really see what's going on with the hatter's hand that's holding the tea pot. It looks like the fingers might be the wrong way though? To hold the pot comfortably (now I'm picturing cannabis...sorry *clears mind) the palm would be facing out, so we'd see the ends of the fingers. That may very well be happening though, and I'm just not seeing it.
Alex's far arm seems a bit short in the forearm, but nothing too major.

That's all I can see right now, can't wait to see this finished though. *excited*  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff