Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Sriae's sketchbook thing - updated 6/22 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:46 am
XD!

It does look better now, she definately looks "nice" instead of "scary"

My only complaint about your coloring is that her skin looks dull and clayish instead of well... skinlike. You can fix that really quickly by making it look a bit glossy? (more highlights)

Hair can be very easy... try working from rough to detail... Like laying down broad strokes of black in this case and then just going into detail with a smaller brush : D and then add highlights, keeping in mind your lightsource. It'll make her hair look more... hairy.

Um lastly those two v-like lines on her neck should not be so visible.

I did a really quick paintover on her left cheek (our right) here to show you what I mean about making it look more skinlike:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/nini206/junk/paintover2.jpg

XDD and he nose could be shorter but at this point it really looks fine so I wouldn't go fix it... A lot of people have this problem and forget that usually noses usually end about halfway between the eyebrow and chin xP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:04 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Bleh. I've never done realist hair of any kind before, so uh... >>;; Yeah. I think it's too blue. o_o;

Also, preliminary sketch typa thing for commission:

With color cause my scanner doesn't pick up light lines very well. :/ The parts that I need help with are written in, though they didn't scan too well, and my handwriting was kinda messy. So if you can't read it, what it says is help for the hand, pose feedback, and help with leg anatomy. Also, does the tummy look right on the guy? Cause he's bending over a lot, so there should be skin folds and stuff... But I dunno how them things work so... >>;  

Sriae

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:26 pm
Hey Sriae smile

looks nice! -> her hair still looks a bit odd and... strawlike but I'm sure you'll get that with more practice (try just adding highlights where the light hits)

I was just wondering what kind of picture were you going for for the sketch one?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:18 pm
Mkay I did a redline of your idea sketch @_@;; I realize it's just an idea sketch and nothing is final yet, so I made a few suggestions as well as correcting a few things.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/nini206/junk/sraie.jpg

The Guy:
1) The back of his head is a bit flat and his neck might be a tad short.
2) His chest should be a bit thicker, and his ribs/abs have no definition... You can just hint at the muscles/folds there ...
3) His elbow is too thick where it folds, I mean when it folds like that the forearm should not show as much.
4) His legs... I think what bugs me most about his legs is that... they look girly @_@;; It's just the pose, but usually guys sit with their knees turned out. The foot position is not helping either. I'm just suggesting a pose in my drawover, by no means do you have to follow it...
Another leg suggestion: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/nini206/junk/sraie2.jpg

The Girl:
I really love her face and hw she looks seductive XD. her upper torso is also fine.

1) Her forearm is too long and thick as is her wrist. Also her elbow should be on our right of that arm, not facing us. The hadn is too small for that arm.
2) A pose suggestion I have for you is to have her body twist away from us a bit more, and have her upper back face us a bit, so that her other arm shows, and she's more curvy. her butt can also stick out more.

It's a lovely picture and I love the tension between their gazes :]...

Can't wait to see more on it~~

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Sriae

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:00 pm
Thanks! I'll be adding put work into it tomorrow. xd

For the sketch one, well, it's supposed to be a romantic picture, and all cliche and dramatic. The two have just been swimming in the moonlight, and the girl's reaching up to kiss the guy.

Thanks for the crit! I'll be fleshing the pic out more and hopefully have an update by tomorrow.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:02 pm
@_@ I forgot to say to hunch the guy's back more... but I think you can get that from the drawover.

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PinkGhost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:37 pm
o.o *has nothing to add after T i r a e l's awesome and thorough suggestions*

I just wanted to comment on the..asian girl portrait for one thing, other than the hair. I would make the highlights blend more, possible further down the cheeks, almost to the sides of her mouth, but very slightly! Simply because it looks like two circles at the moment. I do, however, like the fact that you gave her pinker cheeks. ^w^ It makes her look more alive.

Excellent poses in your preliminary sketch, by the way.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:24 pm

This is basically the pencil sketch, only digitized. xD; Ignore the wobbly lines - I'm still shaky at this whole tablet thing. Also, anyone know why Photoshop does this pulling brushstrokes off the page when you get close to the edge? it lopsidied my moon. D:

Problem areas: the girl's hand (that looks REALLY awkward), and the guy's toes. Also, how does one draw wet hair?

..... Now that I look at it, I don't think you can tell heads or tails of the bg scribbles. XD;

asdlkfjinfd I am done with this. DONE. D: Still eh at the nose, but I'm sick of it right now. XD;  

Sriae

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:36 pm
sriae: XDD yeah that's why I didn't say anything about the girl painting.. I figured it was at the point where it's as "finished" as it would ever be rofl

Your sketch WIP looks a lot better now *O*, especially the guy : D. The dude's toes actually don't look bad, they're just a bit big and long... I'll help with the hand too a bit later.. but right now I need me some food and also need to do laundry XD;; the guy's hand could use a lil work too.

I've noticed that too about photoshop and I don't know what to do about it :/.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:49 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/nini206/junk/Untitled1.jpg

just a few small adjustments this time:

1) you should see more of the guy's other arm at this angle because of the way his hand is. I made some suggested drawings.... sorry they're so messy XD;

2) The girl's hand is... kinda fat. Remember that a finger only bends where the knuckle is, other than that it's straight.

I already mentioned that his toes just need to be a bit shorter and skinnier. Right now they look like they belong on a bigger foot.

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Mellow Noise

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:58 pm
Hey! I really like the digital painting. The execution of the tones on the skin are painted quite skillfully. In the sketch, I love how their poses has personality in them. I just have on suggestion though.
3nodding
I think her hands wound look more natural if there was more of an outward curve on the upper part of her lower arm (To the left, to kind of show where the brachioradialis muscle is supposed to be), if you know what i mean.

edit 3/3/07: Bwaaahhh sorry ignore me on this one xD. It's a small thing that could even differentiate in life. The arm is fine. Haha this is why get confused over my anatomy.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:12 pm
Whee, thank you very much! 3nodding

....... Bwah? I'm lost. D: Could you do a drawover to clarify?  

Sriae

Sriae

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:39 pm

That's my color blocking so far. I have no clue what I'm doing with the bg, especially with the waterfall and the trees. Damned trees. D:

Also, how does one make wet people look wet? >>;  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:45 pm
Loving it so far. I think the elipses on the ripples need to be narrower, to put more perspective on the water. I'm glad to see you remembered a detail like the light halo on the trees from the moon.

As for making wet people look wet, their clothing would probably stay darker than usual and their skin might seem more shmmery from the water on it? If at a total loss, try to find some stock photos of wet folk for examples. www.photos.com and www.istock.com usually have great ones to look at.  

Wispered

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:54 pm
Wow, I really like that biggrin !

Like Eejbeej said, when things are wet, clothing/hair sticks closer to the body and looks a few shades darker. Everything also looks a bit more... hrmm glossy. Looking at stock photos is probably the best way to figure that out.

When you continue further with the colors, just keep in mind your light source (the moon) and that the overall tone of the picture will be silverish/blueish (like don't make the lighting orange or anything)... unless you have a more yellowish lightsource like fireflies or something O:.

I think the bg looks pretty good right now ;3 you can hint at more of a forest and do some detailing as you go~~

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff