Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
T i r a e l - [Full] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wispered

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:09 pm
Hey Tirael, got a question for you. I'm looking into painting (using gouache) Is there a particular surface you'd recommend? I was thinking Illustration board, as expensive as it is, might be worth the bite in the wallet, but I really have no experience with it.
Also, Is there a way to transfer your lines so that you can keep the original? Seeing as how my previous attempts at painting have ended badly I want to be prepared and not destroy my only set of lines should I royally frack up.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:03 pm
Ooh guache O: !

There are several ways you can transfer your lines onto a new paper:

1) tracing: if you're using fairly thin paper (not illustration board) you can just use put both on a transparant surface and use a light source to trace the lines. ( XD I've actually gotten really creative with this -> using a clear clipboard and taking the lampshade off of a lamp then holding onto it with my knees... uncomfortable but effective without a real lightable)

2) Transfer paper: you can buy this at your local art supply store... well you should be able to, I've had some difficulty finding it in the past. You only really need one sheet of it and you can re-use it over and over again. It's basically a sheet of wax paper with graphite on one side and you just place your drawing over it and your board and trace the lines...

3) Rubbing... there's two ways to do this one. You can either (a) cover the back of your paper with soft graphite and then trace over lines again, (b) if you have a rough sketch, scan it in, print it out, trace over the parts you want... put it face down on the board and use a coin orr something to rub it back on... This method is good if you want to resize it for a bigger board or something...

@__@;; I probably talked too much.. There's really a LOT of ways you can transfer lines and I think I've tried them all rofl The easiest one is probably using transfer paper, but that also requires actual purchase of something... Whichever way you use, you'll need to refine the lines afterwards and add a few details manually.

Oh... and whichever way you choose.. remember to TAPE DOWN your paper while you're transfering or things can get ugly >_>;;

About illustration board.. I love it. But you're right, it's expensive to use. If I don't want to use illustration board for something I usually will use bristol board. I really like the surface because it's smooth and pretty durable... but it does warp a bit so you have to be careful and tape it down and watch out for too much wetness.

Oh another thing I do is buy illustration board in a really big sheet and either have it cut for me or cut it myself.  

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Wispered

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:12 pm
Thanks Tirael. I used to use transfer paper all the time as a kid, I'm surprised I didn't think of it. I'm getting really excited about this project.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:14 pm
*__* I can't wait to see~~ did you start it yet? O:  

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Wispered

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:19 pm
Nothing more than the preplanning. To be honest I'm having one of those scared to start moments.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:23 pm
XD!

ahaha.. well :'D good luck. And you can always try over again if you're going to be transfering lines.

I need to go and get some art done myself xP... that or take a nap.  

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Wispered

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:30 pm
Yeah, I'm gonna go try this...drawing thing.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:18 pm
I'm in the guild, and I was wondering... How did your shading become so good? Do you have any quick advise on where or how to learn?  

Kenaserenity

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:18 pm
Kenaserenity
I'm in the guild, and I was wondering... How did your shading become so good? Do you have any quick advise on where or how to learn?

Um.. what kind of shading do you mean? :] Like with pencil? CG? or in general?

I guess the best thing to do is practice. Look at somethin real or a photograph and try to reproduce it... I used to do a lot of pencil still-lifes when I was younger and that helped a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:43 pm
Well, mostly in gray pencil since I'm not all too good at anything else yet.  

Kenaserenity

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:08 pm
Well, you can do a few exercises like a gradient from white to black with pencils. Try doing this with smooth shading and also crosshatching..

Then I really advise you to do still-lifes... start with easy objects like a block or a sphere and use a single light source. Then just take out a piece of paper and try to draw it with your pencilis, paying attention to where the light hits and where the shadows/reflections are etc. Remember to draw what you see, not what you know :].

I found this --> http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/shading.html

It's supposed to be for children but some of it looks pretty useful for shading in general.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:55 pm
Hi... again...

I finished coloring the sketch w/ a bit of new corrections, but even I don't think I followed my own sketch right xd . I kinda tried wierd lighting, but I think i have to practice from ref first... Yeah... The background is pretty rushed. Well, I unfortunately have three hours on my computer each day (i know I'm kinda grounded from it)... But I guess I'll fix it in many tomorrows.

Dont Fall  

Mellow Noise

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:21 pm
Looks nice colored :3.

The background does look very rushed XD;; are those flames?

1) they're not casting shadows on the pathway.. actually a lot of your objects are not casting shadows. The're all shaded themselves but everything casts shadows on everything else.

2) You need a more definate light source. right now it's very hard to tell where the light is coming from.

3) You did this a bit on the girl's skirt but the flames would give a LOT of reflection on the clothing and give the picture an overall

4) I'd like to see you pull your values more... like darker darks and more obvious highlights :]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:45 pm
Yes... Flames sweatdrop ...
I wanted to make most of the light source come from the bottom, but I think I overdone it that I just got confused along the way xD... Yeah now that I realize it, I don't think I need to make a Billy-Jean-ish sidewalk anymore whee  

Mellow Noise

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:47 pm
whee

oh man I'll look at it again tomorrow and see if I can say anything more intelligent Dx... kinda feeling stoned atm... good night mellow :3

Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff