Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Introduce yourself! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 79 80 81 82 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Luxels

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:49 pm
I suppose I should get to introducing myself o_o. My name is prone to change soon (there are far too many cows running around), so call me whatever you like for the moment.

I'm a high school senior, and I hope to go into some field of art. I haven't had much time to work on it though, since changing schools and no longer having an elective of Studio art ( ;_; ). This is why my DA is entirely dead, so I'll be working on some solo for a while before taking on a mentor to get myself back into art mode. So most likely I'll be around asking for general critique.

I feel like the dork of the bunch with no recent work xd  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:53 pm
Hullo, I be Sriae. Obviously. XD; I'm a high school sophomore who's stuck between a practical career choice and art. But I'm definitely going to give art a try. [nods]

I am an eljay whore and abuse it more than my dA. XD; My dA is linked to as my website, and my eljay is here. I'll be selling (hopefully, if I figure out the whole seller's permit thing beforehand) at Fanime, so I need to get cracking on them prints. D:  

Sriae

PinkGhost

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:15 pm
Hello...I am PinkGhost. Err..You can call me Pinky, or Tanga. The latter has a bit of a story behind it...but it's too long and I'm too lazy to explain. 8D

I'm a sophomore in high school, and I hate it. I go to a..."prestigious" school where they dump a bunch of homework on you. As a sophomore, I already, sadly, have 3 AP tests, which might suggest how insane my school is.

I can't wait until I graduate! I've decided on going to an art university, and probably major in animation. I wish to be an animator. ^w^ (Which makes me wonder...why am I attending this god-forsaken, science and math-revolving school?? DD smile

I used to have a dA, but it died. >__< I don't finish and scan my stuff nearly enough.
My style is...realism anime? Although I've been attempting to lean more toward realism.
I'm most proficient in pencil and color pencil, although I have dabbled a bit in watercolor, acrylic, oil paint, oil pastel, and cg.

I wish to be a mentor and a mentee. : D I've no links but the art shop in my sig. = =;;

...That was quite long...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:58 am
Call me Errol. I'm 26 and have a degree in computer animation. I'm currently seeking a degree in illustration. Before that, I was originally pursuing a degree in physics. The marriage of my love of art and physics/biology have lead me to invest in a career in animation. My desire to go back into game development and film has me putting my focus on concept art. I will most likely focus on sequencial art for games, film, and television. And of course, I want to make a comic, just like most of gaia. mrgreen

Past experience outside of drawing/painting
  • Several years of dance (modern, ballet, dancehall, hip hop)
  • Some stage acting in high school
  • Acting through puppets
  • 3D object and character modeling
  • 3D texture mapping
  • Skeletal set up for animation
  • Scripting for animation
  • 3D character and facial animation
  • Simple flash animation

As a mentee
  • simple/intermediate Isometric drawing (scenes)
  • simple/intermediate costume design
  • intermediate/advanced creature design
  • simple/intermediate multiple character intergration
  • intermediate/advanced anatomy
  • simple/intermediate figure drawing
  • simple/intermediate line quality
  • simple/intermediate use of media
  • intermediate/advanced perspective
  • simple shading/color
  • kindergarten/simple vehicles/mechanical structures
  • kindergarten/simple architecture
  • simple/intermediate sequencial art

As a mentor
  • simple/intermediate anatomy
  • intermediate/ advanced staging and design
  • intermediate/advanced gesture and posture
  • simple/intermediate perspective
  • intermediate/advanced "acting"
  • intermediate/advanced mechanics

As a mentee, I expect honest critique. Scrutinize me. I've been a serious student for far too long to have my feelings hurt. I can promise you that I don't piss on anyone's observations because I didn't see it myself, nor do I make excuses for mistakes. There will never be an arguement from me about unintentional mistakes, although I may explain myself when my intention misses the mark. Hopefully, I can be adviced on how to get my intention to go through. I also expect my intention to be taken into account. FAR too many people don't give a thought to the artist's intention or even ask.

As a mentor, I promise indepth, thoughtful, and solid critique to the best of my abilities. I've been known to make tutorials through the use of draw overs and illustrations. I'm willing to spend anywhere between 2 and 4 hours on a critique, and expect it to not be ignored or pissed for whatever reason. I stopped critiquing in PP for this exact reason. I don't like to waste my time. I'm open to discussion about the piece and will do my best to give as much support as possible to those I work with.

Things I tend to cover in a critique
  • anatomy/structure
    I go over the overall structure of figures and objects. I look for proportion, shape, volume (if applicable), weight, balance, and mechanics.
  • staging/'camera' angles
    I don't know much, but I do know something about placement of characters and objects an how their relation to each other on the page will change the message the viewer gets from the drawing. I also have some experience with storyboarding and camera shots.
  • gesture
    This is where I have the most experience. My experience in animation and stage performance helps here as I spent a lot of time focusing on non-verbal communication and gesture.
  • Perspective
    I know some overall things about perspective and foreshortening. I'll do my best to help.
  • style
    I don't say anything is right or wrong about style. I do however help you explore things about your style that may not work for what you're doing or suggest ways that you can strengthen your style. Mostly, I just make sure to take your style and intention into account when writing a crtique.
  • overall design
    Focal point, color choice, staging, eye flow, value, line, and all the things that make art such a chore, at first, but come to be second nature in time.
  • objective and intention
    I can't say it enough. I will ALWAYS consider what it is you're trying to do and try to help you do that better. If I can't figure it out on my own, I'll ask what you tried to do and then try to help you make that happen.

Well, that's me.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Iyou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:29 am
Ooh! A mentor who does 3D modeling? I know your mentor thread isn't up yet, but sign me up, baby. (That is, if you can stand a total and complete newb to 3D art. But the will to learn is there!)

Physics and biology, eh? Biophysics is a very interesting marriage. whee Glad to know there's at least one other art/science geek out there.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:47 am
Iyou
Ooh! A mentor who does 3D modeling? I know your mentor thread isn't up yet, but sign me up, baby. (That is, if you can stand a total and complete newb to 3D art. But the will to learn is there!)

Physics and biology, eh? Biophysics is a very interesting marriage. whee Glad to know there's at least one other art/science geek out there.
I'm working on the thread now. And cool. I'm glad I can use that knowledge for something besides my buddies from school calling me far advice. That and cursing my computer for not wanting to run Maya.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Yrindale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:34 am
*waves*

'lo all. Just announcing my presence. I'll put up a mentor thread soon, but not quite yet. I just got back from the dentist - not feeling too kosher yet.

Lil bit about your local Yrindale? Well I've been a freelancing illustrator for the last 4 and a half years now. I grew up as a theatre technician, doing backstage work for probably 6 years? Something like that. Ran sound, did lighting design, set building, whatever was needed. I play bass guitar, and will listen to pretty much any kind of music (less on the rap or country, but still my door is open). I think that's about it.

Looking to mentor some people who harbor some fantasy illustration lovin. I'll have a thread up eventually today.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:07 pm
Guess I should introduce myself as well.

Hey, I'm Raz and I am currently a senior in High School. Once I begin attending college I am going to be taking a double major, one in studio art and then another in... well... anything that can bring me some money. Lol. I also love web design and I used to play the guitar but alas, not any more. Currently, I am helping my boyfriend run his website, where he hosts oekaki boards for people who need them. ( http://www.oekakiart.com )

As of now I am interested in being a mentee but I'm sure that when I don't have much school business going on (stupid AP classes *twitch*) I will be happy to try out being a mentor as well. ^_^  

Razmaz

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:38 pm
Yrindale
*waves*

'lo all. Just announcing my presence. I'll put up a mentor thread soon, but not quite yet. I just got back from the dentist - not feeling too kosher yet.

Lil bit about your local Yrindale? Well I've been a freelancing illustrator for the last 4 and a half years now. I grew up as a theatre technician, doing backstage work for probably 6 years? Something like that. Ran sound, did lighting design, set building, whatever was needed. I play bass guitar, and will listen to pretty much any kind of music (less on the rap or country, but still my door is open). I think that's about it.

Looking to mentor some people who harbor some fantasy illustration lovin. I'll have a thread up eventually today.
gonk heart Mentor meeee.... If anything, I'm looking to not only be a real better artist, but I want to a career in art. People have asked me about freelancing and I'm really not sure at all what to do.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:46 pm
Hello kids whee

Ok... I'm usually too lazy to write one of these and I honestly think that my Mentor thread has everything you'll ever need to know about me... (which isn't very much)

arrow I'm a College Junior
arrow I am a Statistics Major
arrow I have taken several art related classes but I am mostly self-taught
arrow I've been on gaia since 2004 and have ventured out of the art-related forums all of 2 times or so
arrow I'm a HUGE AUCTION WHORE here on gaia just because it's so fun... even though I should really concentrate on RL commissions... they just lack the excitement of an auction.
arrow I'm happy with my art but I ALWAYS want to improve... I always get that "try harder get better" feeling cool Hopefully this guild will help me improve whee
arrow 90% of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... so please don't let me offend you unintentionally when I'm just spouting random crap (I will be very seroius when giving critiques etc.)

Lastly... GLAD TO MEET EVERYONE! You all sound like really amazing and interesting people biggrin

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Yrindale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:48 pm
Nice to meet you all! whee

Errol McGillivray
Yrindale
*waves*

gonk heart Mentor meeee.... If anything, I'm looking to not only be a real better artist, but I want to a career in art. People have asked me about freelancing and I'm really not sure at all what to do.

I'll put you on my lil pre-emptive list ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:49 pm
T i r a e l
Hello kids whee

Ok... I'm usually too lazy to write one of these and I honestly think that my Mentor thread has everything you'll ever need to know about me... (which isn't very much)

arrow I'm a College Junior
arrow I am a Statistics Major
arrow I have taken several art related classes but I am mostly self-taught
arrow I've been on gaia since 2004 and have ventured out of the art-related forums all of 2 times or so
arrow I'm a HUGE AUCTION WHORE here on gaia just because it's so fun... even though I should really concentrate on RL commissions... they just lack the excitement of an auction.
arrow I'm happy with my art but I ALWAYS want to improve... I always get that "try harder get better" feeling cool Hopefully this guild will help me improve whee
arrow 90% of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... so please don't let me offend you unintentionally when I'm just spouting random crap (I will be very seroius when giving critiques etc.)

Lastly... GLAD TO MEET EVERYONE! You all sound like really amazing and interesting people biggrin
Have my baby?
I really like your linework and I wish I had gotten into your thread before your list filled up.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:53 pm
D8;;;

But I'm already married and have ... 3 imaginary kids and 5 affairs. But then again. I believe in polygamy. 8D... /spouts random crap as warned/

Thanks smile I'd be happy to give critiques and all that even if you're not one of my official mentees...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:20 pm
Thank you, both of you.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

soupey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:25 pm
Man, I feel like such a....nub. XD I a young one I guess, high school freshman. I've been drawing animeish for I guess four years now, and don't think I'm proud of it. I'm an art major, taken a few art classes, sticking with the class I have now that's helping loads, and...I know almost know French even after a year and a half of taking it! biggrin

Besides art, I LOVE videogames, RPGs specifically like Xenosaga and Chrono Cross, and web design.

And I forgot to add, I'm baaaad at introductions.  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 79 80 81 82 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff