Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Split Personality Yaoi -- Frequent much? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold?
  Yes, please.
View Results

Sorinchako

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:49 pm
I'm not sure if Yuki really has a split persona, but he does start to act a little too weird at the start of Gravitation EX, the new sequel. It could be possible, but unlikely.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:44 pm
Well, I don't really watch enough series to know of many others or if to notice if this is a trend or not. But I don't honestly think I like it too much. If used appropriatly, I'll take to it alot. 3nodding But I'm not a huge fan of alot of angst...like, not at all. I don't like to dwell. I'm not saying I don't want some type of obstacle, but I guess I'm just a fast-paced person and angst tends to drag on for long periods of time which can grow both annoying and even frustrating to the point where I just won't like the character/series anymore.

SeNalove

Ichinilla

Friendly Gekko

6,025 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:58 am
Yuki's doctor does tell him that he has split-persona, but it doesn't show all that well in the series. I have yet to read the last volumes of the manga, but I have watched the anime.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:43 pm
Anyone read Il Gatto Sul G? Now Riya's got some split personality issues!
I can't think of any other officaial yaois with that theme, but there is a ton of fanfiction that uses it. I'm even using it in a story I'm writing. It's an interesting theme and there are lots of ways to present it so I don't get tired of it easily.  

Katastrophic_Kate

CandlelightsChaos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:55 pm
I have! I agree that Riya's deffinately got split personality issues. But it's hot and adorable so who can blame him, ya know? But yeah I've notice in a lot of the Yaoi's that I like one of the important characters has a split personality thing going on. Not that there is anything wrong with it of course.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:13 am
FallenxCrimsonxRose
I have! I agree that Riya's deffinately got split personality issues. But it's hot and adorable so who can blame him, ya know?

I don't think anyone would a split personality would agree that it is hot or adorable. In the manga, both sides of Riya are horrified by the other. I can only imagine that it must be a very unsettling and out of control feeling for the people who suffer from this illness. I can't say that I find it hot, sexy, or any sort of turn on at all. Those people have my sympathy, but that's about it.  

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200

DarkFlowerGirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:28 pm
It's getting old but everytime I see it instead of getting annoyed I enjoy it because it so damn cute! Espically if the seme is a skitso. 4laugh 4laugh  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:22 am
Being one of those people I would have to agree with For-Chan Cookie. I can't see how someone could possibly find a mental disorder such as my own hot. It's not a fun experience. I don't even remember nearly half of my life due to it. It's not hot finding pictures of myself in situations I don't remember wearing facial expressions I'm not used to using.
I have two pictures that scared the pure living s**t out of me when I found them. According to my sister for almost an entire year we went on a picnic every week with my aunt. I can't remember this happening at all and the facial expression in one of the pictures taken wasn't very pleasant. The other was overly happy. I don't ever look happy. I have a monotone voice and a face to match.
It scared me quite a bit because that means that I have at least two different people in me that I don't know. One of them doesn't seem to be very nice either. She's hurt myself and others in the past - I'm assuming it's the same one. In elementary school I used to black out and beat people up. I'd come to in trouble for something I didn't even remember doing. And in middle school I blacked out and started cutting myself. It's not something I'd wish on someone else in a million years.
I've lost weeks at a time before. That's a lot of time gone without knowing what you've done or said to other people. I've lost a lot of friends because of it. It's the loss of time that scares me most even though it's gotten to be less these days. I don't like losing parts of my life. So in short - sort of - I really do not find this aspect "hot" persay in yaoi/shounen ai. I find the characters suffering from it easy to relate to and sometimes more intriguing but never hot. I don't have a problem with people who do really. I just don't understand why they do is all.  

Ryosei_Hime

Fashionable Lunatic

5,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:57 am
I wouldn't say it's frequent yet. It's become more common, yes, but it isn't there yet.
I personally think mental disorders are fascinating, but I'm told my way of dissecting and analyzing people's minds is creepy. Many people suspect that I have several different borderline mental disorders, including bipolar and obsessive compulsive... but I personally think I'm probably just a freak.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:09 am
Ouka of Heaven and Hell
I've just noticed! Has anyone else realized how frequent it is for a character in yaoi/shonen-ai to have a split personality??
I mean, think about it.

Yuki from Gravitation.
Ritsuka from Loveless.
Sora/Yoru and Sunao/Ran from Sukisyo.

I can't think of any else, but name some if you can. Do you think that split personalities make the shows better, or is it getting old?

it makes them smexy when they have a split personality  

jene-chan

Scythe Shadrak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:29 am
In Yaoi split personality is just as common as in any other genre of anime.
There's alot of characters with mental problems in anime in general, Yaoi is not really special in this case neutral

Noway.I'mnottalkingaboutYuki.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:21 pm
I thiink what you mean by MPD is that they are in conflict with themselves. It's the same idea, but it's not classified as a disorder.

Under that definition, you're correct. Yuki constantly battles between his feelings for Shuichi and his bitterness towards love. Sometimes, he's worn out and gives in to his feelings, behaving affectionately towards Shuichi. Other times, he's stubborn and confused and refuses to admit to himself that he's fallen in love despite his determination not to.

In the same sort of way, Ritsuka really stuggles between his two polar opposites.

As a side note, when talking about Loveless, it's important to discuss the concept of word battles. The anime talks a lot about words and the dramatic physical effects they have in battles, and I think it only makes sense to extend this beyond the battles and into the rest of the anime. If you pay attention to this, you'll see that Ritsuka's moods and desires are determined by other peoples words and influences on him. Soubi constantly tells him "I love you" because his mother constantly tells him "I hate you". When Soubi says these things, it seems out of place and awkward to me. It feels forced because it is. Soubi wants Ritsuka to overcome his mother's abuse, and therefore tries to balance out her words of hate with words of love--enabling Ritsuka to be independent and decide his own fate.

Anyway, this is important to Ritsuka's inner conflict because, while Soubi means to empower him, he really just confuses Ritsuka. There's one great scene, I don't remember what episode, but Ritsuka's lying on his bed with his cell phone in his hand and he wispers "I want ot see him", then rolls over and wispers "I don't want to see". This is usually taken to mean that Ritsuka has a touch MPD, which seems plausible since we've already seen that he has some confirmed mental issues (amnesia) a regularly sees a therapist. But, IMO, it's just Ritsuka being torn between the two completely opposite infuences in his life--Soubi and his friends, his mother and the memories of Seimei.

And I think we can all agree that Sukisyo it absolutely MP without any deniablitity. xd  

Ootori Kyouya-sama

Ichinilla

Friendly Gekko

6,025 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:54 pm
Agreed ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:17 am
Well, sometimes the personalities are so different that the fact that they are in the same body makes us think of yaoi… I had my first encounter with yaoi with yu-gi-oh… were almost everyone has two personalities… (I continue to think that a guy saying to another in the same body “Why don’t you put more chains?” is a little suspicious)
And there is too Agito/Akito from air gear^^ Agito is the double personality of Akito^^ and the first punch’s the main character (ikki) when he switched to Akito the other kissed him^^
Of course I love the scenes in air gear between the two personality’s because the bad one really loves the good one^^  

agito_dragonsoul

Andromeda3173

Mystical Neko

10,800 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:31 am
hmm.. not that i think about... it kinda is... like in Gravitation... Yuki
and in Il Gato Sul G well... the main Character.. ^_^  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]