Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
yaoi vs. shonen-ai Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which do you like best?
  yaoi
  shonen-ai
  both
  Oo there's a difference??? (yes, there is><)
View Results

MooMooJuice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:26 pm
I prefer BL with some hints of Yaoi in it. ( Rin! is a very good example of this ) Particulary because yaoi mangas tend not to have much of a story ( atleast the ones I've read. ), and/or use the same basic plotline, and it bores me ( and is the reason it's been several months since the last time I read a yaoi manga ).

Ofcourse, BL can be this way too, or any story for that matter.
But, I suppose, for me, while yaoi is nice, nothing beats a good story.
And to me, that's something with the right mix of romance, action, and comedy. If you get what I'm sayin'. wink  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:02 pm
I prefer shonen-ai/BL. Not for the stroy, because there are yaoi manga with story lines, but because I like the cuteness. Cute is what matters.  

goingd

bagh bagh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:51 pm
ToDieLaughing
I really like them both, but shounen-ai more so, just because it tends to be cuter in my opinion.

Yeah i agree  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:20 am
I don't mind some yaoi, but I do have a preference for shounen-ai. I guess I'm a romantic at heart. I don't need to see/read graphic sex scenes, I have a good enough imagination to take care of that. However, I love knowing how two characters become closer and start a relationship.  

Bertram Silverwebb

zuttodark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am
First off I love both so much.

Now I'm one of two guys with also five girls in a core group of friends. We've have one lesbian and I'm the only one that is gay. Being gay means I get to entertain my friends, they think my life is like a shonen-ai alot.

Now I believe their is nothing sexier than a kiss. Who cares about the deeper sexual stuff, I'll take a simple kiss before I get in bed randomly and do it with someone. Shonen-ai is wonderful and the best thing ever created.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:18 am
kiba132324
If the story is good, I'm fine.

Though, sometimes I wish I could find a Yoai with a good long story. =|
I know me too. it is hard.  

Koiangel

Claire_Hiwatari

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:30 am
I like both...but I may have to favor with yaoi because i've read it longer  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:16 pm
It just really depends, for me, on what I feel like reading at the time. Like icecream and pie, i have a favorite, but that doesn't mean that the other isn't just as good! It's all about my mood. 3nodding  

BiawKasai

Geraldine Way

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:52 pm
A mix would be best. Lots of yaoi - but with a nice, long storyline.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:31 am
I would like to say that I think you mean Boys Love not Shounen-ai because the term for it is not what you think. I like Yaoi more then Boys Love because I like the storie better and the explict romantic scenes better. My favorite Yaoi at the moment would be
But I'm Your Teacher
Desire
Golden Cain
I Can't Stop Loving You
J-Boy
Little Butterfly-June
Passion
Selfish Love
Skyscrapers Of Oz
Wild Rock

Shounen-ai is an obsolete term. Shounen-ai refers to stories about strong relationships between pubescent or pre-pubescent boys. The stories featured angsty, poetic, platonic or romantic relationships. It is used only to point to shoujo manga written in the 70's and early 80's by authors such as Hagio Moto, Takemiya Keiko, etc. (Titles such as Gymnasium in November, Heart of Thomas, and Song of Wind and Trees.) Shounen-ai is no longer written, ceased to exist as a sub-category of shoujo long ago, and this term has long since fallen into disuse. Later stories with male/male sexual relationships are termed yaoi, tanbi, june, or boys' love.

Shounen-ai is not the same term as boys' love.

The current common usage of shounen-ai is to refer to adults who like young boys (i.e. *****' love (BL) is the common term used by the publishing industry to categorize works focusing on male/male relationships marketed at women. Historically these works were referred to as June, but most commercial works are now called BL. The change in terminology was probably due to the negative connotations of the term yaoi and the association with a specific publication of the term June.

BL is an extension of shoujo and Lady's categories, but is considered a separate category. The BL category is very broad. It is an umbrella term that includes

Moonlight_Shadow12

MotokoSavitri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:38 pm
I love yaoi. What can I say? I'm a perv.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:03 pm
I prefer to read yaoi and watch shonen-ai 3nodding  

Count Momo

Banned_189373

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:28 pm
Hmm.....I love them both but I like to read yaoi than watch it and I like to watch and read shonen-ai. So I love them all!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:30 pm
Mmm.. 3nodding I prefer BL, I dont really like the explicetness of yaoi, though sometime I find a one that I absolutly adore. I just like it cute and fluffy though if they have some very obvious hints of yaoi i wont mind whee  

God of Laundry Baskets

L e m o n pi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:04 pm
i love any yaoi as long as they love one another...but i do desire more than a kiss from them...i think i'm more of a yaoi heheh eek mrgreen rofl 4laugh burning_eyes  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff