Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

what goth music subgenre do you perfer
old school goth (bauhaus, siouxie, ect)
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
neo-gothic rock (type o negative, coal chamber,ect)
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
industrial (skinny puppy, VNV nation)
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
goth metal/ black metal
37%
 37%  [ 11 ]
the techno-y kind (diary of dreams, delerium)
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
semi-mainstream goth (manson, ect)
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 29

EYE SEE Y0U

Original Poster

14,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:15 am
id say inkubus sukkubus as fav goth band but i mostly prefer black metal.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:05 pm
Isobel Bellamy
I'm a traditionalist goth and i am not going to to the whole the whole "manson is not goth" thing that so many others are dragged down to (it just gets so damn boring and predictable....)

i agree. Manson isn't goth, he's not even industrial. he's just... manson.  

Toast Is Me

Wheezing Smoker

Toast Is Me

Wheezing Smoker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:22 pm
Mistress Dizzy

I said "Goth is (in literal terms) dead". Technically Goth was some of sort of really old religion back in the day that died out. But in the say, 70s - 80s those punkadelic british/ american kids started to try to be all bad-a** and call themselves Goth. So, as by saying "in literal terms" I meant, "literally, there are no Goths because Goth is a dead religion." But, I know what your saying, there are some true blue, honest to god, Gothic-cal people out there. They're rare on Gaia, but they're there. Annddd, yes, Goth is all about personality. Some people have it, some people don't. I think it's something you're born with. oO And double yes, I already know there's a thread on this. I just like to babble. xd

actually, goth or gothic was used in reference to all points of early, pre-roman germanic culture durring the dark ages, not just religiously. Because it was looked down on by the Romans, and those who followed the wake of their fallen empire, things that seemed in opposition romanesque culture where labled as gothic, carrying the connotations of the brutish or uncivilized. thus, gothic architecture, writting and (far later) music were classified by their name. goths tend to see beauty in things that the mainstream would find stigmatic, ugly, or wrong, thus the name fit, and the gothic subculture was born.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:14 pm
I hate to sound like an idiotic n00b, but while we're on the subject of explanations of subcultures and whatnot, could anybody maybe explain the subgenres of music listed in the poll? I don't really know what many of them mean, except for black metal. I'm rather uneducated on genres, subgenres, and things like that, whether it be in music, culture, or whatever. So if someone could explain those subgenres, I'd really appreciate it.  

crown_of_thorns

Muted Faith9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:59 pm
I feel the need to tell you that manson skinny puppy cradle of fiilth, etc. are not goth, they are metal, the two are very different  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:56 pm
I don't really label my music at all; not even by their own genre. I just listen to whatever I think sounds good at the moment, which varies from Frost Like Ashes to Il Divo.  

~[Kryssi Katt]~

Synovial

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:09 am
*Nods* My favourite song at the moment that would be considered gothic is Anguish by Clan of Xymox.... Am Listening to it right now.

ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:05 pm
[ D i z z y ]
themagikat
Mistress Dizzy

Personally, I don't consider myself to be Goth. People may look at me and say "Wow, you're all gothy" and stuff, but that's just what they think. Anyone can be "Gothic-like" but truth is, Goth (in literal terms) is dead. Most people who think they are Goth are probably more punk than anything else.

i wouldnt go that far. im not argueing or anything, and i agree most goths may just be punkish, but there are a few (namely me, tee hee) that are NOT punkish in the slightest sense, nor am i emo. im actually active and pretty outgoing. we already have a thread about this but to me goth is simply a mindset that deturmines the actions you take. to say most poeple are more punk is alright, but i woudlnt go so far as to say goth is dead.

I said "Goth is (in literal terms) dead". Technically Goth was some of sort of really old religion back in the day that died out. But in the say, 70s - 80s those punkadelic british/ american kids started to try to be all bad-a** and call themselves Goth. So, as by saying "in literal terms" I meant, "literally, there are no Goths because Goth is a dead religion." But, I know what your saying, there are some true blue, honest to god, Gothic-cal people out there. They're rare on Gaia, but they're there. Annddd, yes, Goth is all about personality. Some people have it, some people don't. I think it's something you're born with. oO And double yes, I already know there's a thread on this. I just like to babble. xd

.....goth as a religion, is dead...but by the same token knights don't exist anymore, either... ninja  

ceilisidhe

Corpsette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:47 pm
Countess_Nikora
Mistress Dizzy

actually, goth or gothic was used in reference to all points of early, pre-roman germanic culture durring the dark ages, not just religiously. Because it was looked down on by the Romans, and those who followed the wake of their fallen empire, things that seemed in opposition romanesque culture where labled as gothic, carrying the connotations of the brutish or uncivilized. thus, gothic architecture, writting and (far later) music were classified by their name. goths tend to see beauty in things that the mainstream would find stigmatic, ugly, or wrong, thus the name fit, and the gothic subculture was born.

Actually, there are several theories where this "subculture" was pulled from. It actually depends on which sort of "goth" you consider yourself. If at all you wish to proceed with such extentionalist labels, I'd say pick a path, and then run with it's history.
Some say that gothic was a religion.
Or it was an idea around the 70's and 80's to counteract all the bright colors and whatnot.
Or it was actually a culture,
Or a time period.
Honestly, there are so many branches that I myself prefer not to be called a goth.
I'm.. me.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:01 pm
I recommend "Dead Gardens", "Romanticide", and "Planet Hell" by Nightwish.  

xKelpiex

darkXmoon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:42 am
My music taste is bouncer then Jenna Jameson boobies! I can go to 80's pop to Opera twist around to some country and then dance my self into some tecno only to top it off with some thing nice and hard core with a dark twist of metal. The only music you won't find on my play list is hard core rap and western, An yes there is a difference between Country and wester music..shivers...Every thing else is in the open.

*MY PLAY LIST..
*The Crow (soundtrack)
*American McGee's alice (soundtrack)
*Manson
*NIN
*Android Lust
*Emily Simon
*Yuki Kajiura (.hack//sign soundtracks)
*Voltaire
*Beck
*Enya  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:25 pm
The Heretic Anthem by Slipkont  

Ontogeny

Synovial

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:04 am
Meh I just wrote about a page of an explanation and then realized all i did was rewrite what Countess Nikora said in more detail.............. *Passes out* sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:01 pm
From what I understand, goth in its current state started in the UK as a subculture of punk. Though I am entertained by the theory that goths are just beatnicks to forgot how to snap.

I also thought this was a worthy question to go back to for a moment... I'll do what I can, but I'm pretty specialized in my musical tastes, so assistance would be appreciated,,,

crown_of_thorns
I hate to sound like an idiotic n00b, but while we're on the subject of explanations of subcultures and whatnot, could anybody maybe explain the subgenres of music listed in the poll? I don't really know what many of them mean, except for black metal. I'm rather uneducated on genres, subgenres, and things like that, whether it be in music, culture, or whatever. So if someone could explain those subgenres, I'd really appreciate it.

old school goth (bauhaus, siouxie, ect):
This is one of the hardest "sounds" to pin down... 80's influences abound, and things tend to be kind of lushly constructed, often somewhat experimental. The Cure also falls into this category, and a lot of newer bands keep the sound itself alive.

neo-gothic rock (type o negative, coal chamber,ect):
Personally, not being a fan, i couldn't tell you the difference between this and black metal, so I pass on this one. razz

industrial (skinny puppy, VNV nation):
This often has some crossover with the techno end of things, though it excludes darkwavey stuff (spooky techno, basically). A friend once described industrial as an active grain thresher being dropped onto a herd of cats in heat, repeatedly and rhythmically. Often very experimental or with discordant notes, a lot of aggression, driving beats. Ministry is often considered industrial, and Front 242 is a good example of techno-industrial. Industrial influences can be seen in a lot of semi-mainstream notquitegoth bands, such as Korn, Tool, Rage Against the Machine, etc.

goth metal/ black metal:
see above. smile

the techno-y kind (diary of dreams, delerium):
Can be lighthearted and poppy (Cruxshadows, Die Warzau) or moody (Switchblade Symphony) or industrialish. Again, not my favorite cup o' tea (though quite drinkable), so if someone else would care to elaborate...

semi-mainstream goth (manson, ect):
If they've ever had a double platinum, they're probably thought to be in this category. Of course, this includes The Cure, NIN, Ministry, and a host of others, but there's an undercurrent to this: most in this category are often considered to not be "true" goth, but some b*****d pop offspring. The way I see it, if a lot of goths listen to it, it deserves to hang out in the category. Of course, this invites in people like Nick Cave, Rasputina, Johnny Cash, and Bjork, but I say, the more the merrier, they all have reasons to be considered goth in one way or another.

Feel free to disagree, elaborate, or thumb your nose; this is just my opinoin of the moment. smile  

misstree

misstree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:46 pm
wrote all that and never answered the original question... sheesh...

not knowing what else was going on the tape, there are two that tell me they want to be on there, both by V.A.S.T. (visual audio sensory theater); either "touched" or "pretty when you cry." my two cents.  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff