Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
What paints are best to use? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Big Boss OBrien

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:38 pm
I use the Citadel paints for everything exept white. I don't know what the deal is with that damn color.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:50 pm
King Kento
The Death Masque
Andreis
Citadel colours are expensive mind you, as well.

Err, yeah. If you're poor.

This can be proportional value. $4 would be considered a small amount by itself, but then apply that to say, a soda bottle. Then its expenisve.

And soem of us like myself ARE poor.

I will totally agree, I am poor too. My parents have money, but *I* have no money.

I just am almost insulted by the fact that you he was insinuating that citadel paints are not expensive.
:/

Either way.

Yea. You would not pay 3 dollars for a soda. 20oz of water, carbonation, flavoring and Sugar.

So why would you think that paying 3 dollars for a roughly 1/3 of an oz is not expensive?
It is water and plastic.
Granted, it should probably cost more than soda of that ammount. XD Buut still, 3 dollars is a gooood deal of money for it.  

Andreis

bunnysama

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:22 pm
Andreis
King Kento
The Death Masque
Andreis

This can be proportional value. $4 would be considered a small amount by itself, but then apply that to say, a soda bottle. Then its expenisve.

I will totally agree, I am poor too. My parents have money, but *I* have no money.

I just am almost insulted by the fact that you he was insinuating that citadel paints are not expensive.

Either way.

Yea. You would not pay 3 dollars for a soda. 20oz of water, carbonation, flavoring and Sugar.

So why would you think that paying 3 dollars for a roughly 1/3 of an oz is not expensive?
It is water and plastic.
Granted, it should probably cost more than soda of that ammount. XD Buut still, 3 dollars is a gooood deal of money for it.

Saying it's just plastic and water shows just how little you understand the chemistry involved in making paint.

Paint is pigment particles suspended in solution for delivery, like oil or water or in the case of citidal paints acrylic. Some pigment particles are cheap and easy to come by, like sienna or umber for various shades of brown. Others like zinc oxide(for off white) Titanium oxide(true white) and cadmium(yellows and reds) are quite pricy with titanium oxide being the most expiencive at roughly $100/lb.

Seeing that most professional model painters and stop motion animators I know buy citidal skull white primer by the box for it's closeness to true white leads me to believe it has a large percentage of titanium oxide.

Fact is, making paint is not cheap when you consider all the factors, and some of the colors in you paint set the manufactorer probably took a loss on selling you it(ie White)  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:46 pm
I mostly use Citadel acrylics, but I also own a vast array of tube acrylic paints. Since I wanter down all my paints when using them, tube acryics are useful but take alot of practice to get the consistency right.  

MorgannaNightshade

Sento Fernner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:45 pm
Reaper and citidel paints work.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:47 pm
bunnysama
Andreis
King Kento
The Death Masque
Andreis

Either way.

It is water and plastic.

Saying it's just plastic and water shows just how little you understand the chemistry involved in making paint.

Paint is pigment particles suspended in solution for delivery, like oil or water or in the case of citidal paints acrylic. Some pigment particles are cheap and easy to come by, like sienna or umber for various shades of brown. Others like zinc oxide(for off white) Titanium oxide(true white) and cadmium(yellows and reds) are quite pricy with titanium oxide being the most expiencive at roughly $100/lb.

Seeing that most professional model painters and stop motion animators I know buy citidal skull white primer by the box for it's closeness to true white leads me to believe it has a large percentage of titanium oxide.

Fact is, making paint is not cheap when you consider all the factors, and some of the colors in you paint set the manufactorer probably took a loss on selling you it(ie White)
Don't hurt the poor guy!  

Sento Fernner

Andreis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:22 pm
Dark Elf Thief
bunnysama
Andreis
King Kento
The Death Masque
Andreis

Either way.

It is water and plastic.

Don't hurt the poor guy!

-cough-

YOu don't know me very well so I don't take insult. I tend to exhaggerate in various forms and sound stupider than I am.
I paint alot so I understand what goes into paint.
Now... for a moment, take the figure of what you just said. 1/3 of an oz of lets say skull white paint. It is a fraction of that which is the actual pigment. So lets say it IS 100 dollars a pound.
I am in no mood to do the math, but I can assure you that the small fraction of that which is in a pot of white paint is NOT worth 3 dollars!

WHY DOES EVERYONE DEFEND THEM?! LORD ON HIGH!

Sorry. I am not trying to insult everyone, it just amazes me.

EDIT - YesIusetheirpaintbutIthinkitisimportanttorealizewhatyouarepayingfor.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:05 pm
Well, everything Games Workshop sells is rather expensive. Does this mean that I'm not going to keep buying their products? No. I know how expensive everything is, and I know the quality that goes into it, but I can still tell that they're making an extra dollar or two on the side.

For instance, go to www.thewarstore.com. Go and look at all the prices for all the other models they have for sale there. I just bought eight Roman Legoinaries and eight Pict warriors for (including S&H) about $35. Not including S&H, that's about the same price as ten Space Marines. Granted, the historical models are 28mm and the Space Marines at like 35mm Heroic (I think), but compare 16 to 10 at the same price.

The materials required to create the paint are expensive, but would you really go as far as to say that Games Workshop doesn't raise the price any for retail?  

Xenos Mortium

Some Mook

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:54 pm
I... use Testors. Its a buck a bottle at Wal-Mart. Its actually very good stuff, and with a bit of mixing, you can come up with pretty much any shade in the Citadel range. The only problem with the paints is that if you don't shake them, you will end up with something that is far too thick for any detail work and therefore requires you to use more thinner, which, if you use too much, gets you an annoying wash.

Eh.

Works for me.

Oh, I use Citadel for skin. Testors just has those standard military colors.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:06 pm
I use various paint brands for various effects. My mainstay is citadel though, because it is easier to find than Vallejo/Reaper. I also use some Folk Art craft paints and paint additives, like the Blending Gel. I avoid using any enamel paints, like Testors, because they are harder on your brushes, more toxic, and much harder to work with and clean up than acrylics. Citadel inks are also invaluable. As far as brushes go, my preference is white nylon. Its stiff enough to get some good detail work, but yet soft enough to get good coverage for larger areas.  

TwelveRavens

Xenos Mortium

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:02 pm
Josef Gafencu
I... use Testors. Its a buck a bottle at Wal-Mart. Its actually very good stuff, and with a bit of mixing, you can come up with pretty much any shade in the Citadel range. The only problem with the paints is that if you don't shake them, you will end up with something that is far too thick for any detail work and therefore requires you to use more thinner, which, if you use too much, gets you an annoying wash.

Eh.

Works for me.

My paint set, before I got any Citadel Paints was comprised of some Testors paints that were a little old when I got them. They had a bad habit of being damned hard to open and whatnot, which was a turn-off to me. When I first got the Citadel Paints, I was impressed with the design of the pots, and frankly, I still am.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:42 pm
Xenos Mortium
Josef Gafencu

Eh.

Works for me.

My paint set, before I got any Citadel Paints was comprised of some Testors paints that were a little old when I got them. They had a bad habit of being damned hard to open and whatnot, which was a turn-off to me. When I first got the Citadel Paints, I was impressed with the design of the pots, and frankly, I still am.

Why? The Citadel pots, frankly, suck. Granted, the current flip-tops are better than the previous screw-tops, but they're both crap compared to the old Coat D'Arms style which P3 has taken up.

P3, incidentally, will be the brand to beat once its full range is released because of its liquid pigment, McVey's influence really shows in the line. For sheer range and quality, as well as price, VMC is tops though.  

kissmekillme

Censure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:58 pm
I prefer to use Vallejo paints.
They take some work, because they are thick, but they have a high pigment content.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:03 pm
EVA-01X
Okay, total n00b to the whole wargamming thing, so I was wondering, whats the best kind of paint to use on these things?
I currently have a large stock of Tamiya Model Paint I bought a while back to make my Gundam Models look nice, would that be alright to use?

I suggest Citadel paints, they were made for these things anyway.

And to those who say citadel paints suck, I'd like to show you my painted models.  

Spawn More Overlords

Battle_Brother_Edward

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:50 am
kissmekillme
Xenos Mortium
Josef Gafencu

Eh.

Works for me.

Why? The Citadel pots, frankly, suck. Granted, the current flip-tops are better than the previous screw-tops, but they're both crap compared to the old Coat D'Arms style which P3 has taken up.

P3, incidentally, will be the brand to beat once its full range is released because of its liquid pigment, McVey's influence really shows in the line. For sheer range and quality, as well as price, VMC is tops though.

i for one am fond of the P3 paints i use them in conjuction with my citadel paints when i dont feel like mixing, and the two seem to work together well. but when it comes down to metallics and inks citadel wins outright in my book.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff