Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
'Sorry it's not really hawt'. Rape in fanfiction. Not rant. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Demented Kid

Beloved Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:17 pm
Personally, I don't mind rape in a stories (not that I support rape, I have had my share of abuse at a VERY young age) and though it's not, it does make for an interesting storyline.

What I prefer in a story that may include is perhaps the Uke has been taken or what not, but before the nasty deed is done, the hero comes in to save the day, bring the pair closer and the rapist to justice. It can also make for a angsty background for a character base and explain why perhaps they dont trust their partners or what not.

In manga, it can be very much like soap opera. You gasp and get disgusted at that and looking at it on paper or reading or whatever you're looking at, and it gets you drawn into the story.

What I dont like is the kind of rape thing you have mentioned, especially if the victem has been beaten and brutally raped. It's disgusting to make it out that way, that the victem is in love with the person straight after.

However, I have read mangas where the uke has been madly in love forever with the other, but one night maybe things went to far and the guy went crazy and raped the man who loved him. At the end of the sex, it's always been the uke has been terribly hurt and does actually feel disgusted and such. However things are usually made up in the end and admittedly, I dont mind that. Again I'm drawn into and feeling for the Uke, even crying for him and hating the b*****d who did it.

Others I have read, the seme tried to push it but the uke got away in time, still feeling hurt and such.

Also, arguing with the fact that people find hurting another can be erotic, there is that S&M sex isn't there?

But really, it's because it's sex that people find it erotic. That's the sad truth about human nature. They wouldn't support the act, they wouldn't wish it on anyone else or want it upon themselves, but they still like it in stories, shows or whatever.

But there's also the question of weither it's not exactly the rape they find hot. What probly stands out to people is that they had sex and in the end it was love. The story of the rape can go completely out the window, people like happy endings and most are in love with love.

I think I rambled.. alot. But again I say I don't think rape is a nice thing at all. It's disgusting! But the truth is, it makes for an interesting storyline.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:56 pm
Now let's see... I remember this discussion coming up on a fanfic forum I used to haunt, and one woman defended her love for writing sappy rape stories - just the kind where the victim falls in love right after the brutal act - with the argument (of course) that it as fantasy and it didn't really hurt anyone, and she was perfectly aware that it didn't work out that way in real life, but then she said something that sort of stuck with me:

That imagining these sort of things was hot because then the rape wasn't, as it usually is in RL, a power thing - but in fact more of a "you are so desirable I just can't control myself"-thing, and hence a lot more flattering and thus a lot more hot.

This being said, I still say it's not a good fanfic if the readers feel insulted by its execution, and I personally tend to stay well away from rapefics of any kind. Romance and shared passion is much more of a turn-on in any setting, IMHO.  

Pearlyblue

Friendly Enabler

Katastrophic_Kate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:43 pm
I find that there are two different types of rape in these kinds of stories.

Glorified Rape, and just plain Rape.

I above all else, hate when rape is glorified in any way shape or form, either in fan fiction, movies, books etc. By having a character fall in love with a person who just raped them, says to me that rape isn't a bad thing. That just dosn't sit right with me.

However, I don't mind at all if the writer uses rape as a plot device that shows it for what it really is. A terrible and painfull thing that the character must then deal with for the rest of their life. True, stories with this are usually very dark and angsty, but I don't really mind that.

As to why people think that rape is hot? I honestly don't know. Ther is the element of danger and force that I can see as being hot in other situations but, overall, I just don't understand it.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:31 am
Ace of Shadows
Well, being a writer I have nothing against rape in story. I mean, it's something that, tragically, happens in real life. So no, if it's presented realistically with all the trauma and scars that come with it then I don't mind it. But the whole "falling in love with your rapist" thing is complete bullshit, I know. I mean, to even think you love your rapist means you've got some serious mental s**t going on, like Stockholm's Syndrome.

And let's face it, your average fanficcer is just doing this casually and don't really research or know anything about the trauma that is rape or Stockholm's Syndrome. So yeah, the vast majority of any rape fanfic out there is going to be total bullshit.

And, believe or not, there are people out there with kinky rape fantasies. (Of course, if they act on them as a couple then they're not really rape anyways, it's just roleplaying between consentual partners.) And fangirls apparently can't tell the difference between consentual fantasy and real, deep seat trauma. There is also the fact that on paper on on the screen, it's easy to say it's not real, it's just a fiction, which it is, admittedly. Horribly wrong fiction, but fiction nonetheless.

There's lots wrong with fanfiction, and there's lots wrong with original fiction. Sadly, there is no way to stop the bad stuff without harming the good stuff irrepareably.

Thank you, took some words right out of my mouth. I very much agree.  

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

MooMooJuice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:27 pm
I never liked the rape/love stories.

I mean, before, when I'd only see very few, it was okay.
But now it's so frequent that it's become lame, and boring. >>

And there is a difference between fantasy and reality.

I know people who like shota in fantasy, but in reality, they're against it.
The same goes for rape.

I know I like BL, in manga and stories ( duh ), but I'd never want to see two boys make out in real life. ( Not saying I have anything against gay people. In fact, I wouldn't like to see ANY couple make out in front of me. >> )

Anyway, it may seem horribly wrong when such stories are made, but it's just to please their fantasies.
Chances are the person might actually be completely against it in real life, and knows it could never REALLY happen. ( Hence why they must use fantasy to see it )  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:53 pm
I'm okay with rape fanfiction when it's used as a riveting and convicing plot device, and things such as "forced pleasure" don't offend me. But I can't stand it at all when the raped falls in love with the rapist XD Thats where I draw the line.  

blackwhiteandsilver

Sol-chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:08 pm
If you like/don't like rape in fanfiction, tell why?
It really depends on the way it's done. I've never come across a fanfic where the victim falls in love with the rapist, but that just seems wrong. I really only like rape in the story if the emotions afterwards are believable. Also, most fics I've come across that had rape in them were TyPed lik thiss. If it's in proper English and has a believable story line, then I like it, otherwise I just hit the "back" button sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:23 pm
- If you like/don't like rape in fan fiction, tell why?
As a writer I enjoy it, If it's not the rape you mentioned: character A falling for character B and such since thats just the silly minds of fangirl fantasies. I like reading rape!fics if it's used to show how rape really effects a person, not some fluffy view of it, rape isn't meant to be a light-fluffy subject. It's a harsh thing that many fangirls don't understand.

- Why do so many people think it's actually 'hot'? What's so erotic in one person being hurt by another?
Not sure, I think it's the control factor, that your body and feelings are being dominated by another person, that your handing over your well being, and trusting this person. S&M is all about trust, and respect.

Heh for me I just like total dominance over the 'uke' not necessarily rape, but dominance.
I'm a slight masochist/sadist when it comes to my fan fictions. Lol!!

- Trends in fan fiction that seem plainly wrong to you.
Nothing much bothers me, I can pretty much stomach ANYTHING thanks to a very interesting fan fiction list on LJ my friend gave me xd xd
Edit: However like before the annoying trend of raped character having fluffy love for the rapist does irk me.
Oh and really mushy fluff stories kinda annoy me, I like a little drama.

Slasher-Quill

KuraiKitty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:12 pm
If you like/don't like rape in fanfiction, tell why?

I know that this is a shounen-ai guild, but I want to bring up that, as a writer, I've written a scarce few stories (literally one to every thirty or so) with all types of pairings that involve such acts as an integral part of the character's life. It's traumatic, it's scarring, it's demeaning and humiliating- but it also goes to show that hey, while you can lie on a bed of roses, you're going to get bit by the thorns. Life sucks- some just get dealt a worse hand than others.

The whole rape to love thing is sickening to me. No one will ever love the one who forced them into a painful act against their will- they're going to remember the pain every time they see the responsible party. The knife that cuts the deepest isn't made of metal- it's made of flesh. Anyone whose raped will tell you that the experience scars them for life.

The character will feel dirty, disgusting, and weak for not being able to fight it off, will feel regret at not being able to get away, fear at the thought of it happening again, and so on... no love stems from that.

Anyone who enjoys that sort of rape turned love fanfiction can go into the real world, feel it for themselves, and come back. We'll see how much they like it then. :/

Why do so many people think it's actually 'hot'? What's so erotic in one person being hurt by another?

As Slasher said, it's all about control and dominance. But in a rape fic, it's taken much farther than S&M. Anyone who practices it will tell you that no boundaries are to be stepped over- you have to respect the other's boundaries.

Rape goes far beyond that, to the point of resistance.

Sadists might be into that. I'm not quite sure. v.v

Trends in fanfiction that seem plainly wrong to you.

Stereotypical 'happily ever after' fluffy fics disgust me. Throw real life in there, will you? Pointless smut is... well, pointless.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:19 pm
[Well, I think it's a bit of a cop out - it's the easiest way to make the characters "fall in love" with no real attempt at characterisation]
[There's nothing really wrong with having a rape kink (provided you never rape someone else) I mean, after all, all yaoi is is fantasy - this just takes it to the Nth degree.]

[(oh, and sorry to necro the thread, I just thought it was interesting and all the front page topics are a little dull smile )]

Genica Pussywillow

Skizzors
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:41 pm
Well, having the victim fall in love with the rapist straight after the act is committed is ridiculous, I agree. But if someone wrote a fic or story where the rape was followed by either a prolonged kidnapping or other instances of rape from the same rapist.. dude. Seriously, Stockholm Syndrome is needing the writing plz. It's such an intriguing development; I think it's a shame so few writers would rather write some stereotypical "oh rapist, it's been five minutes but i could never leave you!" crap. D:  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:02 pm
Skizzors
Well, having the victim fall in love with the rapist straight after the act is committed is ridiculous, I agree. But if someone wrote a fic or story where the rape was followed by either a prolonged kidnapping or other instances of rape from the same rapist.. dude. Seriously, Stockholm Syndrome is needing the writing plz. It's such an intriguing development; I think it's a shame so few writers would rather write some stereotypical "oh rapist, it's been five minutes but i could never leave you!" crap. D:

[Much agreed. That'd be pretty awesome - but it'd be dificult to write, and most writers (Esp. the mostly teen slash writers) are unlikely to want to spend that much time on a story sad ]  

Genica Pussywillow

ObREJECTive

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:46 pm
Can't really say...I read only one.It's was a DNAngel Fanfic.

But it doesn't make much sense when people think it through  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:52 pm
- If you like/don't like rape in fanfiction, tell why?

Rape is good, if you want a dark fic where it's described as the terrible thing it is. It is 'good' as in it is like war; a subject with multiple, entrancing layers that is absolutely horrible in real life, yet writers wish to examine it. I love hate in my fics, so rape fics are good in that respect. I agree with the stupidity of the victim deciding that they want buttsex right in the middle, wtf?

- Why do so many people think it's actually 'hot'? What's so erotic in one person being hurt by another?

It's ugly, it's taboo. Just like shota, incest, and heck, just plain gay sex. The world has told us it is wrong. We are fascinated, horribly fascinated by what we do not understand.

- Trends in fanfiction that seem plainly wrong to you.

Shota. Eww, you'd do that to a kid? But, whatever, as long as it isn't real, to each their own.  

Scribraven

[Romiette]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:29 pm
- If you like/don't like rape in fanfiction, tell why?
Not full on rape but I do enjoy situations where the seme is pushing it gently and the uke doesn't want it but is actually in denial and feels the same for the seme deep down.

A don't think most people find full on rape attractive and most are into the type of fanfiction I am as stated above.

- Trends in fanfiction that seem plainly wrong to you.
Shota and lolicon  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces