Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
History within our schools Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:12 pm
and_solo_said
I found a most biased passage on an illustrated Scottish timeline whilst away.

It reads: 'Mary Queen of Scots; she helped the poor, but was executed by her cousin Queen Elizabeth 1 of England'

stare

That's it

XD. Thats got to be one of the least biased things on Mary Ive seen. They usually go along the lines of this:
Mary Queen of Scots; She tried to help the poor but the lords didn't like this so locked her up in the castle on Loch Lomand. She managed to escape and fled to England where she thought her cousin, Queen Elizabeth would help her but intstead was locked up for a while before being beheaded.
Theres usually something about her bravery just before being beheaded and her little dog in there as well.

Speaking of biased history. In primary school we did Mary and some of the Scotish Kings and Queens, the Jacobite wars, and various other wars with the english. I think we did various types of housing to used to keep the nasty English invaders out and I remember the story about how we got the thistle as our flower. (The english were invading some town but there was a bog around it. So they had to take get of their horses and take off their big boots to charge across the marsh. The Scotish (who couldnt afford big boots) were either barefoot or had sandels but anyway they defended a bit but the English either ran away or were defeated because there were thistles and they trod on them and werent used to being barefoot.)
And incase you hadn't noticed theres a theme running through that. Primary history was almost exclusively about the English being nasty.
We did do the Vikings in P3 but that was about the only thing that didnt involve the English.
Maybe we did the Romans but they were helped by the English.

Its almost funny, how completely biased and useless that is. It wasn't til secondary school we did the WWs.
Well I think there was only poem about evacuees (in Scots) in primary.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:38 pm
At my school, the history focuses on recent and distant. We learn a lot about the little battles through history and a lot about Canada itself. We also look pretty closely at Britain and the U.S. My teacher said learning history from one point of view is very biased so one assignment we had was a debate that we had to do against our own point of view. I'm doing law this year and I think our government is based on that in Britain.  

Angilwingz

LLT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:15 pm
I hated American history with a passion. confused I could really care less about WW1 or 2 or any war for that matter.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:25 pm
LLT
I hated American history with a passion. confused I could really care less about WW1 or 2 or any war for that matter.

Well, considering that those were World Wars, and effected millions who weren't American's, I think it's probably important that we learn about them.

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

LLT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:30 pm
Timeless_Visage
LLT

Well, considering that those were World Wars, and effected millions who weren't American's, I think it's probably important that we learn about them.

Maybe.

I think the only war I ever found semi interesting American wise was the Civil War. And since my fiance is British he's always giving me mini history lessons.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:42 pm
LLT

But...but..

..what about Napoleon!?

eek

Invictus_88
Captain

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:51 pm
LLT
Timeless_Visage
LLT

Maybe.

I think the only war I ever found semi interesting American wise was the Civil War. And since my fiance is British he's always giving me mini history lessons.

I found that the Civil War was broing.. Though, I did learn it because it's something that effected us in so many ways.

Did you know the death total out of every war that America has been in, is less than the death toll of the Cival War alone? (That's what my History teacher said, I'm kind of skeptical though.)

Though, I suppose it would make sense for the death toll to be that high. Since it was an American against American war.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:18 pm
the problem with teaching history is that it has gone on forever, if you see what i mean.

any way, although i got an A at gcse history, i found it really confusing, i had to teachers, teaching half the course each, anyway, we did WW2,then the end of WW1 then the liberal reforms then the begining of WW1 for coursework!!!

so i couldnt work out in my head the actual sequence of events!!!

they should teach it in order!!  

hippynutcase

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas