Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Has anyone read Piers Anthony's Books? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Give It A +1 If You've Read Piers Anthony.
  +1
View Results

EclipseMoon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:38 pm
Iana_Rosterbom
oh! I love his books! I especially love the humor and puns! heehee 4laugh

cool Yep, there's a lot of em! I'm reading "Source of Magic" in the Xanth series right now. cool  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:45 am
NightIntent
Ah-ha. Very far in. How many books are there in the Xanth series, anyway?

Answer:
Too damn many.

Seriously, Piers Anthony was once a talented writer but has burned out most of his talent writing crap like the Xanth series. I know this sounds harsh, but I used to be a devoted fan of his books until I noticed that Anthony was churning out the same books over and over, using the same essential plot but with different characters and situations.
I followed the Xanth series from the first volume, A Spell for Chameleon but gave up after the tenth book in the series, as the stories were steadily declining in quality and Anthony was no longer writing them to tell a story, but only to make a nice fat paycheck at the expense of his readers. If you don't believe me, read the early novels in the series and compare them with the later ones.
I also grew tired of the fact that his female characters appear to be brave and strong at first, but the moment a love interest appears they quickly turn into obedient little girlfriends who are only interested in getting married and making babies.
Because Gaia Online is supposed to be a family-oriented community, I will NOT discuss the sexual fetishes which appear in his more adult novels or his obsession with certain bodily functions.

godhi

kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:53 am
While I have read quite a few of the Xanth novels (my favorite of which is Faun and Games), the ones I really like of his are actually historical fiction ^^. His Geodyssey series is amazing! I just found out that he has another one in the works, but isn't finishing it, becuase there's not a market for it. sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:54 am
i've only read his apprentice adept series. two worlds one science based the other magic based. they were fun.  

lovebooks

Dr Mandragora

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:11 pm
Gosh, I'm not sure if I should reply here since this tipic was started back in January, but what the heck.

I've read most of Piers Anthony's books. I've read all of the Xanth novels, all of the Incarnation novels, and the Apprentice Adept series

I've enjoyed them all, though I do have to agree with a poster above who commented that the Xanth novels decline in quality and enjoyment the further in to them you get.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:15 pm
Piers Anthony is a rather good writer and a punster. haven't read many of his books, mainly cause i don't have space to collect them. But since i do not remember what title I read I just remember the Transplant I found it hilarious.

Spider Robinson is another punster, but he is more in the sci-fi area.  

CastleAlyts

godhi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:45 am
CastleAlyts
Spider Robinson is another punster, but he is more in the sci-fi area.

Spider Robinson is also a MUCH better writer.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:47 am
i read four of his books a few years ago.

one i recall involved a woman who phased from being smart and homely to gorgeous and dimwitted and back again.

they were amusing but hardly deep.

it fits the humor fantasy category of Robert Asprin.  

chessiejo

ninja_lord76

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:06 am
I haven't heard of him untill now.I think I'll check him out.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:32 pm
I used to be a huge Piers Anthony fan and was around when they were new. The Xanth series is a great beginner fantasy series and a lot of fun. My favorite of his books though is the "Incarnations of Immortality" series. It is much more complex.

It is better to read them (the Xanth series) in order if possible, but they can all be read independently and enjoyed without reading the others.  

GastricOverload

Angleic Shadow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:50 pm
His Xanth novels are pretty great.
I've also read a few of his collabs, but I don't remember if I've read anything just by him outside of Xanth, but he is a good author  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:18 pm
All of the incarnations of immortality series, the best is On a Pale Horse  

murphyad

Wissakins

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:49 pm
I've spent years collecting Piers Anthony's books. While I do agree that his Xanth series has become less than stellar, I still find them a fun read when I need a bit of fluff.
Yes, some of his books aren't necessarily for younger audiences and he does have some weird sexual reference in some. But there are so many other books not in series that he wrote that I truly enjoyed, Firefly being among these.
I also enjoyed his Bio of a Space Tyrant series. Its a bit more adult but deals with some interesting political issues.
All in all, I'd recommend his Xanth books for people just looking for a quick, funny read, but his other stuff for a more serious reader.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:38 pm
His books are great. Right now I'm on the fourth book of the Xanth series(Centaur Isle). The Xanth novels are the only ones I have read so far.
I do agree with other that he does seem to but in sexual little cracks alot but none are to bad and they are always off text(if you know what I mean). After I'm done with the Xanth books I'll have to check out what else he has.

Black_Rose10

Domiera

5,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:56 pm
dark_divine
I like the Xanth books, though I have yet to finish all of the books my mother has.

lol. funny thats about what I was going to say, although I think I've finally read most of them. Xanth and the Warlock stuff was great...wait...now I'm second guessing myself...that was him that wrote Warlock inspite of himself right??

also the stuff at the end of the Xanth stuff, his comments and suggestions from the fans, is brilliant. I used to get a kick outta reading just that...tho reading some of the posts, I wonder if going back to re-read would I find it as amusing as I did? now I'm sad sad  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff