Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Art that stopped you from reading manga Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chibi_Oni_chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:10 pm
Katastrophic_Kate
Chibi_Oni_chan
This is Major Tom
Chibi_Oni_chan
I prefer pretty bishies in yaoi not strong chinned muscle peoples.

I find it kind of shallow and pointless to read yaoi if you can't appreciate men who LOOK LIKE MEN! Hello! That's what we're reading yaoi for. If they're all willowy bishounen who look like GIRLS that would break in a stiff wind, where's the fun in that?

That said, I'm pretty open to art. I love the styles where men look like men. I'm not too fond of the whole pointy chin phenomenon like in Love Mode, but I still enjoy its stories. Also, some yaoi artists go crazy with size proportions. Sex Pistols is a great story, but you have to get around the artist's issues with making hulking semes.

It's hard to turn me away from a good story, but bad art coupled with a boring story can do it. Level C was a total turn off. Ugly art with a weepy insipid little uke that made me want to kick him in his non-existant genitals assured that I would never purchase anything past book one. In fact, I sold off book one because it was so awful! I feel sorry for the sucker who bought it.

Bottom line, if the story is strong enough, it can get me through something with questionable art. If the story fails, the rest falls through for me. Life is not all about visuals. Pretty does not equal substance. Give me something to hold onto please.

They don't have to be willowy either, I mean I absolutely love New York New York and they sure aren't willowly but there just is something in the sharp edges and pointyness in FAKE that bugs me. I didn't mean to come off shallow or anything like that. I was just expressing my oppinion. Plus I have seen pretty art with bad story line and I couldn't get into it either. I need both to read a manga. BL or not.

I don't think you're shallow! You just know what you do and don't like^^ (says the real shallow girl)
Thank you whee But I'm sure your not more shallow than anyone else. I mean I am a little shallow at times... but who isn't?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:44 pm
Well, it wasn't yaoi, but... Fruits Basket. I simply couldn't read it -.-
Females look terribly awful in my honest oppinion. Boys are a BIT better, but I still dislike the art .___. So that's it.

Scythe Shadrak

PinkSpider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:53 am
I haven't really ever been put off by the art. I havent really read much to start with ^_^
Anything I've seen, I liked  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:57 am
hmmm.....i like the manly men and the bishi men but i kinda have to agree with what alot of you are saying if they are all bishi type of men nobody would really read them but then again if they were all manly men not alot of people would read it eitheir so it balances itself out.

Inuyasha and naraku!!  

mysticmoonraven

Devochki

Dapper Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:59 pm
you should only care aout it for the story,i bet if we tried to draw it it woulnd even come out nice  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:18 pm
Yeah, there's art I won't deal with, even if the stories good. If I can't stand the art I don't really want to read it. I want eyecandy... and a story. I want it all. Anyway, I think that was the reason I didn't read "Earthian". Is that what it's called? I didn't like the art. There's a few mangas I've picked up and put back because I didn't like the art enough. Sometimes I'll read stuff with good eyecandy even if the story sucks. I read books, I don't necessarily need story-heavy manga. I read Alichino even if the story is only like... sort of there. I just like the art.

Phantom Storyteller

5,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Aeriael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:45 pm
Gah! Dost thou know made my eyes bleed.
And there's another one....I can't remember what it's called.
Something about the best men in a wedding....  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:40 am
when a super fat guy rapes and cute pretty boi gonk it's gotta go arrow  

xoSHIRAHIMEox

Eternal Baby

12,250 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500

Rosemary-of-the-Sun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:49 pm
This is Major Tom

I find it kind of shallow and pointless to read yaoi if you can't appreciate men who LOOK LIKE MEN! Hello! That's what we're reading yaoi for. If they're all willowy bishounen who look like GIRLS that would break in a stiff wind, where's the fun in that?

Where's the fun in a world with no room for personal preferences?

I cannot stand FAKE's art, especially the artist's girls and kids. Even if I did like the art, I still don't think I could stand the story and writing, but the art definitely strikes me first. There have been others, but FAKE is memorable due to its popularity.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:59 am
Oh absolutely.

Brother/Rising Storm

Playboy Blues

Boy Princess

Alone in My King's Harem

The first 2 have such ugly art and the last two have ukes who just look like flat chested women with a p***s. I mean I like bishies as much as the next fan but sheesh.  

Chibi Cheeks78

4,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100

Komute

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:22 pm
I'm sure this happened to me alot~
even though I can't remember.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:30 pm
i dont necessarily judge the story by its art but once in a while, the art really does kill the story. i mean the story could be really good, but then the art just destorys it. i dont really enjoy reading yaoi with too muscular men but neither do i like too much timid looking girly girly men.  

_Sunshines_Dead_

Graceful crisis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:28 am
Fake is such a turn off for me Dx Especially the anime. Gawsh D'x
I bought the three first books and then decided that I did not like the art enough to buy four more books just to get buttsex in the end Dx I gave them to my friend for her birthday rofl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:18 am
I don't like the art for Gravitation and Fake, although i see Maki Murakami's art changed towards the end. Also Junjo Romantica is a good BL story but the art was horrible *shivers*  

Pomba Gira

Elaborate Testes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:03 pm
Fruits Basket.

The ears and overall pointyness of the everything pisses me off.
[I know, not yaoi... but it is manga. x.X]  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces