Reply Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People
what is up with Asians and academics? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kawaiisluv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:41 pm
People at my school think I'm smart because 'I look smart' but I have horrible grades.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:41 pm
My parents are the same too. I tell them I have a C+ in one class and they go berserk and everything

My pop even wants me to go to this prestigious college he went to back in PI when i grad from H.S.

Maan, i try to tell tham that it's the 21st century and that things are becoming different. They always come at me with stuff like "Well so? When I was your age, we had to do this and that"

I dunno why they always push us like that. It's annoying to the max -.-

Lady Ayuna

Friendly Gekko

5,425 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

` p n a y

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:33 pm
D: I have no idea why either. My parents are ok about it...but if my bro or I get a B, it's instant interrogation time.

And my friendd too. Her mom is Japanese (though you can't tell with my friend) and she got pissed at her for not having a high grade in her math class. Even though it's an A, and the higest in the class. DD:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:52 pm

For our generation, studying and earning really good grades aren't big deal now. Students could go to community college and transfer, but the Asian parents are like " scream NO! YOU MUST GO TO IVY LEAGUE or TOP 10 UNIVERSITIES IN THE WORLD!!" etc.

Seriously, people who don't do as well as others still get into a college..
Not comparing to my friends who went to WestPoint, Annapolis, or Air Force Academy...

I also hate the damn Asians who take a bunch of AP/IB courses for no good reason. I have taken AP Biology & recieved a 2 on the AP exam =(..But this year, I'm taking AP Psychology, English, & Calculus.... To me, I took Biology because I was recommended and asked to. Psychology was optional; English was recommended; Calculus was not an option.. I had finished mainly basic math at the school =X...

Mysterious Drifter

Wealthy Citizen

7,925 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Friendly 100

Jelai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:00 pm
Man my parents used to so be like that.
Getting mad at me for getting C's in math...

...then it go SO BAD when I started to get D's and F's, even though if it's not the end of the semester yet (our school has this online grade-checker, which each and every student HATES. So my parents always check every single minute of the day online to see how I'm doing in my classes. gonk ).

But now after living here in the States for a while and still having financial difficulties, they want me to do what other fellow Filipinos of this century are doing (or at least in our town): go to community college, then transfer on to just or local university.

They say it's inconvenient to have to send me to far-away colleges or the freaking Ivy League for sakes.

Because what matters most is the job you're gonna get after college, they told me.

Yeah sure I could win a ton of scholarships to study out-of-state, but whenever I tell my parents that, they say that I still have to pay for my own living and gas expenses, etc. scream scream scream

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:05 am
It's becuase most parents weren't born in the US, and the fact that regardless of their station back home, their troubles learning the English language held them back.

It's becuase they don't want their kids to follow in their footsteps that they push, becuase they came to the US for a better life, and believe it or not, parents actually give a damn whether their kids are successful or doing some bullshit a** job that they know they wouldn't be doing if they were back home, but they didn't want some kind of oppression to hinder their children, so they hop on the next boat to the US.

But that's just my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt.  

Arcanas

Hunter

AzNightDreams

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:38 am
uh my parents dont realli care lol like when i get a bad grade they tell me to do better next time  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:10 am
Sigh.. yes, I know how you feel. I come home and am proud to say I got an 87 in my exam. They tell me, "That's not good enough. We want 100."

But hey, that was when I was a kid. I'm still not the best of the best but I don't mind that they keep going back to that speech. Maybe I got used to it.. confused But yeah, it's not like they do it to us because they like it.. they do it because they want us to do better. Still, a little word of praise like, 'Good job but I think you're still capable of better.' might actually be nice.. sad  

Iseru Dryves

5,150 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Citizen 200

Kyora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:20 pm
Well you know, what they're saying seriously makes sense.

As years go by and generations go by, it's harder and harder to get a good job. = My dad move here from Shanghai with seriously no money at all, since he used to work in a tea factory back there. But then he took a loan and got his master degree and now we're decently off. n_n;

So I can understand. But really, it's more that I'm disappointed in myself than my parents. I think I obsess over my grades more. =T I keep an excel spreadsheet of all my grades so I always know my exact percentage. When I got B-~B+'s on all my midterms I really did cry over break.

I'm a junior right now taken 7 IB classes... IB1 English, IB1 Spanish, IB1 Physics, IB1 Biology, IB1 History, IB1 Chemistry, IB1 Math HL (basically calculus)... I have a 3.87 GPA (Noo... D: I want to pull it up to a 3.9 but it just keep falling more. T________T And this semester... *cries*) and I'm the vice president of anime club and the president of the Asian Student Association, as well as being members of a fewo ther clubs and extracurriculars.

But that's because I reallyreallyreaaaally want to go to Stanford, and then study Medicine either there or at the University of San Francisco. =T Because I love California (I love in Michigan) but they're both reallyreally prestigious schools and I'm definately not up to par with most of the people who get accepted there~~ >_<; ;_;

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:16 pm
DUDE LIKE I TOTALY KNOW WHAT U MEAN I MEAN 4 REAL WATS UP WITH THAT THEY'RE ALL LIKE DO THIS NOT THAT GO HERE NOT THERE I MEAN I DONT GET IT AT ALL ITS SOO FREAKEN ANNOYING mad mad mad mad mad mad mad
I MEAN I'D RATHER CHOOSE FRIENDS OVER FAMILY ANY DAY heart heart

AznMoNkEy101

Mysterious Drifter

Wealthy Citizen

7,925 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:31 pm

It's harder to get a job because the commies are taking over the industry & people in other countries don't really have a job...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:28 pm
Yea I know, parents (basically everyone actually) expect you to be smart. Why can't they see that (some of us anyway) are like everyone else?  

Salliewalker

The Committee Staff Gaian

1,650 Points
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250

Centaurion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:39 pm
Kisho_The_Pilot
I know what you mean.Its hard growing up asian.My parents always pushed too hard so now i fail classes to show them i not perfect.I played sports most my life and have 17 trophies.Mainly baseball.I do well in school but i always fail english.We have hard district full of smart kids and they make us write alot and i cant keep up.It wasnt my first language and im still learning.

you fail classes just to dissapoint your parents? what are you gonna do about college? it's really just your life you're ruining.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:40 pm
Yuna10111
DUDE LIKE I TOTALY KNOW WHAT U MEAN I MEAN 4 REAL WATS UP WITH THAT THEY'RE ALL LIKE DO THIS NOT THAT GO HERE NOT THERE I MEAN I DONT GET IT AT ALL ITS SOO FREAKEN ANNOYING mad mad mad mad mad mad mad
I MEAN I'D RATHER CHOOSE FRIENDS OVER FAMILY ANY DAY heart heart

you do realize you've practically flipped off everyone reading your post right? red letters in caps? that's the most offense you can throw at anyone over the internet.  

Centaurion

[Fallen_ Angel]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:55 pm
um.. I think my parents gave up on me, they don't even know when i have exams this week.  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff