Submit

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:26 pm
Ahh....since I usually put a book away and don't read it again if the whole sexual thing gets too wierd for me, you probably know where I stand on the subject. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:07 pm
I've read some gay fantasy. or fiction. whichever you'd like to call it. Francesca Lia Block wrote Weetzie Bat and I Was a Teenage Fairy, and there were some gay characters (they're set in '80s California, tho). She also did a book that was fairy tales, but rewritten. She did a version of Sleeping Beauty where Prince Charming turned out to be a girl, and it was very sweet.
There was another book I read that was redone fairy tales, called Kissing the Witch, was more fantasy and less modernized, and that had some cute cases of women falling in love.
I haven't read much gay literature, but it's always intrigued me. It's fun to read about unconventional pairs (not that I'm about to go fanfic and write pairings... I can't do that sort of thing). I just mean, it's in the minority of all the love stories out there. And I'm bi, so of course I like to read about women kissing womens too. ^_^  

Nebbie

Rabid Nozomi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:15 pm
Takiko-chan
Yaoi isn't an appropriate term for this genre... Unless the book only have sexual situations and NO plot at all. That's the definition for yaoi.
Nah, I think the definition evolved. Yaoi can be part of the story, and nowadays there are usually plots. I consider yaoi to be gay-sex and shounen-ai to be gay-love, without anything smutty.

I use the term yaoi for gay-sex though. Its just...less embarrassing, like Kolibris mentioned.

I've read books where there were yaoi to the side. Like "Silver's Edge" by Anne Kelleher is a fantasy, but there is some yaoi in the side.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:44 am
I've read, and adore, Misty's The Last Herald Mage trilogy, her best works, in my opinion. I have an unnatural fondness for yaoi/shonen-ai... As for the terms, I usually restrict those two to anime/manga, anything other then that is slash, in my mind.  

Empress_Kat

Lioness4

Distinct Raider

10,650 Points
  • 20 Wins 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:59 pm
Ooh. I haven't ever read any GLBT fantasy books. Never heard of any. Refer one? (GLBT: Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender [community]) I'm a nerd. exclaim  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:20 pm
the Nightrunner series is pretty gay-tastic. for most of the first book it's extremely thinly veiled, but in the 2nd and 3rd it becomes more intense. it is in no way explicit, though, all implication. but it's there. heart  

the fuzziest llama

Lady Crystalmir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:29 pm
Other then Lackey I can't really think of any. The Fire Stone by um um I think her last name is Hess (I don't pay attenetion to author names) She also wrote Wizard of the Grove and Sing the Four Quarters. Sing the four quarters has other books in the series that are like that but mostly it's just that the Empire is very free.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:12 pm
Ayamechan
Given the ages of some guild members, I hope this is... appropriate.

In any case, I wanted to know if I was the only one who was into the stuff (and what got ya into it), and that if anyone is... share authors/books. sweatdrop

oh my lord you've read my mind! im looking EVERYWHER for a yaoi fantasy!! i dont like to read about modern time gay romances, they are too boring and predictable...give me a solid plot where the two main charcters just happen to be male and have a sexual relationship/attraction... is that really so hard? gonk  

Renegade Jarlaxle

Lady_Altheia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:31 pm
I was warned about Mercedes Lackey but I read her anyways and the Last Herald Mage is one of my favorite series. If it is done tastefully, I don't mind gay fantasy. There are all walks of life. I think fantasy should branch out amd explore some of the societal issues that we live in.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:17 pm
Not a lot of the stuff I run across directly deals with gay romance.
There's hints of it in Judith Tarr's Isle of Glass and Will Shetterly's Witchblood (both tragic, of course.)

I'd love to run into a well-written adventure yarn with a strong, non-tragic gay romantic subplot in it. My wife tends to get annoyed at the way het romance is treated and a good author might put some more thought into a homosexual treatment.  

Harbone

Renegade Jarlaxle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:48 pm
yeah, in books and in anime, the yaoi relationships always end horribly...why cant there be a happy ending for once? geez gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:20 am
Well, that's true in main stream, stuff, anyway. I'm sure someone's written some happy, normal gay relationship books... they just probably have a limited appeal. I should scout some out.  

Harbone

Hakumei_Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:36 pm
In Tamora Pierce's book, The Will of the Empress, some lesbian action starts up >__<;; I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES but it happened. and I was sad.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:56 pm
Hakumei_Tenshi
In Tamora Pierce's book, The Will of the Empress, some lesbian action starts up >__<;; I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES but it happened. and I was sad.

I haven't read those one's but the Lioness series by her is about a cross dressing female knight sort of...but that's common because woman weren't really supposed to be Knights. sweatdrop heart  

Lioness4

Distinct Raider

10,650 Points
  • 20 Wins 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Hakumei_Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:50 am
Lioness4
Hakumei_Tenshi

I haven't read those one's but the Lioness series by her is about a cross dressing female knight sort of...but that's common because woman weren't really supposed to be Knights. sweatdrop heart

i can tell you read them by your username xd I just finished re-reading the series... i've lost count of how many times... not that much, though.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff